CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   C8 Corvette Zora analysis (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4266335-c8-corvette-zora-analysis.html)

skank 04-23-2019 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Plexoer (Post 1599279507)
Holy crap what is with these FE obsessed people? You would think your questioning their religion.

No, I am going to get a ME ZORA. I also don't want the FE to go away. Corvette like Ferrari will have both configurations to battle Porsche. Why on earth would GM walk away from the best handling front engined sports car in the world and that is a fact. No other front engined sports car can keep up with a Corvette on the track. A C7 ZRI can walk away from a 500k 812 Ferrari Superfast on the track. Think about that....

Trackaholic 04-23-2019 08:26 PM

I always thought it would be nice to have both a FE and ME vette.

I thought the FE would be more traditional, more GT oriented, while the ME would be a higher priced, more track focused version, meant to compete more with the higher end European cars.

However, the hardware on the ME (brakes especially) make it seem as though there will be a relatively inexpensive version of the ME.

If the base ME is going to be similar in price to the C7, then I don't really see room for both versions.

I therefore suspect that only an ME will end up happening.

I can't really speak to the factory space, but from a vehicle perspective it doesn't look like GM is trying to make both an FE and ME version, or if they do it seems they would end up being close in price and competing with each other for the same buyers.

-T

pietro c7 04-23-2019 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by mschuyler (Post 1599279450)
Because he agrees with you. What a surprise.

Many are reluctant to eat their well deserved crow...
Come on guys...it’s got to be similar to quail...

Trackaholic 04-23-2019 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1599279567)
No, I am going to get a ME ZORA. I also don't want the FE to go away. Corvette like Ferrari will have both configurations to battle Porsche. Why on earth would GM walk away from the best handling front engined sports car in the world and that is a fact. No other front engined sports car can keep up with a Corvette on the track. A C7 ZRI can walk away from a 500k 812 Ferrari Superfast on the track. Think about that....

But what about the Ferrari 813 Ludicrous Speed. Complete with plaid interior. Can the C7 keep up with that?

-T

Tom73 04-23-2019 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1599278791)
You don't know that and Mary Barra or GM hasn't indicated such. She only indicated that the C7 generation was going to end in July. That does not preclude GM from having a C8 FE ready to go after the reveal of the C8 ME in a determined time frame. Remember, the C8 term means it is only a time based generational change. Read the above #1 post.

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1599278970)
The new plant has over 2,000,000 more sq ft than the old plant for a total of approximately 3,132,000 sq ft. The capital expenditure of that expansion has been indicated as close to a billion dollars. So yes, I do think they have the cash to do 2 or 3 models. They didn't triple the size of the plant to build just one model.

I love the logic here. Since Mary Barra did not specifically state that there will not be a FE Corvette in the future then there must be one in the pipeline. Kind of like proving a negative.

Based on on this I think I will wait on the flying Corvette which Mary Barra did not specifically state was not coming, or maybe that steam-powered Corvette that she also did not specifically state was not coming. :toetap:

VETTE-NV 04-23-2019 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ltomn (Post 1599279416)
Kitt, don’t doubt yourself! Corvette is in BG and it is the only thing there! There are those that think Cadillac is coming(and it may) but, frankly, I’m of the mindset that BG is a Corvette plant. There will be a variety of Corvette vehicles! They will eventually have a FE, a ME and potentially a SUV in the future. Corvette IS a brand! It may be hidden within Chevrolet but it is a brand! A strong brand! Expect the unexpected!

And there are people who think Elvis didn't die........that WWE is real........that Dr. Dre is a real doctor.....etc. The next Corvette is ME and no amount of hand wringing and prayers for an altered reality is going to change that. So much wasted time on doctrines of "logic." Hilarious. The guys at GM must be busting a gut.

mre1974 04-23-2019 09:38 PM

Let...it...go. The FE corvette platform is dead. The future for the Corvette, whether you like it or not, IS the ME platform. /end thread.

PCMIII 04-23-2019 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1599278946)
I was going to wait until after the Bash this weekend and I thought "What the Hell" I might as well hang this out their. Mary Barra only indicated that the C7 generation was going to end in July. That does not preclude GM from having a C8 FE ready to go after the reveal of the C8 ME in a determined time frame. Remember, the C8 term means it is only a time based generational change. The C8 is not a model.

"Mary Barra only indicated that the C7 generation was going to end in July."

When did she say this? What I heard was that the "iconic" Z06 paved the way for the new C8 ME, which I took to mean that the Z06 was ending and the LT4 was going into the ME.

I think you should have waited until after the Bash because I believe there may be a surprise reveal there. Certainly the C7 production does not end in July because ZR1s are already scheduled for production in July.

I think the announcement in NYC had to be done to set the stage for the ME in July and generate buzz for its reveal because something else is coming before then. Why else would they do the NYC pre-announcement instead of just doing the ME reveal when they are ready?

PCMIII 04-23-2019 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by ltomn (Post 1599279416)
Kitt, don’t doubt yourself! Corvette is in BG and it is the only thing there! There are those that think Cadillac is coming(and it may) but, frankly, I’m of the mindset that BG is a Corvette plant. There will be a variety of Corvette vehicles! They will eventually have a FE, a ME and potentially a SUV in the future. Corvette IS a brand! It may be hidden within Chevrolet but it is a brand! A strong brand! Expect the unexpected!

Corvette is the strongest brand in the GM line-up, period. No other GM comes close to the prices it sells for and no other vehicle has the brand loyalty of Corvette. GM is not going to kick that away by going solely ME.

mschuyler 04-23-2019 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by skank (Post 1599279503)
Read and concentrate on K.I.T.T.'s posts. You will learn a lot and possibly even expand your horizon.

No, I'll actually read the same old same old delusional crap I've already read.

MikeG37 04-23-2019 10:25 PM

IMO if that extra space added to the BG plant is going to be used to produce more than one vehicle (that one being the 8th gen. Corvette that'll be formally introduced 7-18-19) it's probably going to be some upscale hybrid/electric performance oriented CUV. No chance in hell they are going to build two cars in the same plant that compete head to head with one another for the same customers.

JDSKY 04-23-2019 11:05 PM

Trying to guess what GM is going to do with the factory seems like an exercise in futility. They could do anything including shutting the entire thing down if the ME does not sell as planned. It's not hard to see the logic in that all an C8 FE car achieves is reducing the total sales numbers of the ME car. Utilizing excess factory capacity to net an equal number of sales for Corvette would also be a big mistake for GM. GM building a Porsche SUV fighter makes one hell of a lot more sense than two Corvettes nearly identical in nature other than in the placement of their engines.

Red67John 04-23-2019 11:07 PM

What is it with the you guys that can’t accept the evolution of the C7 to the C8? This is a normal generational evolution like C1 to C2, to C3 to.., etc. Its not a couoe to convt, base to Z51, to ZO6, to... transition. GM has never produced two different generational platforms of the Corvette at the same time, and there is neither evidence or logic to suggest that GM can invest in doing two platforms now.

There are always those who won’t accept the generational changes and don’t like the new model, but life goes on.

BGA is not limited to the Corvette and if it has been expanded sufficiently to build two cars, there are plenty of GM cars that would benefit from a state of the art production facility/paint shop, starting with the Caddy CT6.

There is no business case for multiple Corvette models. The Corvette is a Chevrolet. A division of General Motors which already has crossovers, SUVs trucks, and a FE Camaro.

Diminishing C7 sales each year of the generation prove that there is insufficient 2 seat market to support the FE C7 let alone multiple platforms of a Corvette model (not a brand).

The C7 FE dies with a Z06 to be built most likely sometime later this summer. Then, after a model changeover at the plant, production of the ME C8 will consume BGA, sometime this fall, not too far out of line with traditional production start up timing.

You can hold your breath until July 18 if you want to, but that is the day the obituary of the C7 FE will be published

Foosh 04-23-2019 11:33 PM

What a surprise. Yet another new skanky thread attempting to give new life to the same stupid pronouncements all over again. After he gets beaten to death in his many previous threads spewing the same nonsense, he just starts a new one futilely hoping for a fresh start. And his few remaining disciples coming running to help.

It's good to see the vast majority of folks have caught on to the delusions or trolling, whichever it is. It looks to me that the C8 section of CF has become a four-person, amateur troll farm.

skank 04-24-2019 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1599280713)
What a surprise. Yet another new skanky thread attempting to give new life to the same stupid pronouncements all over again. After he gets beaten to death in his many previous threads spewing the same nonsense, he just starts a new one futilely hoping for a fresh start. And his few remaining disciples coming running to help.

It's good to see the vast majority of folks have caught on to the delusions or trolling, whichever it is. It looks to me that the C8 section of CF has become a four-person, amateur troll farm.

You're a real comedian Foosh! Your comedy act really livens up the forums. If you can't wrap your head around my logic then read K.I.T.T.'s posts above. He's another highly technical logical guy that you could learn a great deal from.

Foosh 04-24-2019 12:18 AM

Yeah, I read post #36. Did you?

And what about that 230+ day supply of FE Corvettes on lots not selling nearly fast enough to indicate significant demand. New stripes, refreshed body panels, not even a few extra HP and a DCT are gonna cut it. In light of current sales trends, GM will only commit to one new 2-seater at a time.

The 2-seat sports car market will only continue to shrink, going forward. It will increasingly become a low-volume, niche product, which the Ferraris of the world can survive for awhile, but that's not GM's game. The ME will just buy the Corvette a little more time because it's new and different for Corvette.

All the new production capacity in the world won't help a company building a car that won't sell in increasing volume after an intro excitement blip. If BGA has a long-term future, it won't be a Corvette/Cadillac/or whatever 2-seater only plant. The modernization can help GM develop and build vehicles that are positioned to sell in larger volumes in the future, but they probably won't be just 2-seat sports cars.

Zaro Tundov 04-24-2019 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by JDSKY (Post 1599280586)
Trying to guess what GM is going to do with the factory seems like an exercise in futility. They could do anything including shutting the entire thing down if the ME does not sell as planned. It's not hard to see the logic in that all an C8 FE car achieves is reducing the total sales numbers of the ME car. Utilizing excess factory capacity to net an equal number of sales for Corvette would also be a big mistake for GM. GM building a Porsche SUV fighter makes one hell of a lot more sense than two Corvettes nearly identical in nature other than in the placement of their engines.

I've long thought that Corvette should be its own brand. Let Chevy dealers continue to sell it, but with more stringent conditions regarding sales expertise, service capability, and customer satisfaction. Let Cadillac dealers in on it as well.

As GM's performance division the Corvette brand would also get the Camaro for a 2+2 GT. Add two CUV/SUV models on longitudinal RWD platforms for a total of four model lines. Done right, the Corvette trucks will each sell more than the C8 and Camaro together.

Imagine the possibilities of a successful Corvette division. Solstice 2.0. EV roadster. Hot hatch GTI killer. Return of the El Camino. ZO6 pickup. Corvette could become the performance standard of the world.

KnightDriveTV 04-24-2019 01:37 AM

I think the fact is that Corvette could potentially expand the brand, and that likely may be the drive behind it all. We know that Ferrari, Lambo, Jaguar and others are moving toward performance SUV's, so GM will try to move into that space I believe. In addition, the ME and FE can exist much like the 488 and 812 coexist. I think the facts I've laid go unanswered, but instead there is just a flat out denial of possibility. Explain it then; don't call it delusional, debate it.

I have to laugh at times when people in politics, cars, sports...whatever, merely call the opposing side "delusional" or "insane"...why not provide a counter argument based in fact. I don't WANT the FE...I am merely letting the evidence I see, that is unexplained, carve the trail. Like all things...follow the money. 733 million invested into the plant, large space expansion, mid cycle shutdown (which rejects historical routines), 270 new jobs people...for what? Someone just answer the last part; if you aren't building MORE cars...how can you guarantee 270 new jobs? They have to be building something!

So, to all the people saying it's simple: The ME is here, the FE is gone...just answer this: Why have they guaranteed to hire 270 more people and expanded the space drastically? To do what?

skank 04-24-2019 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T. (Post 1599280999)
I think the fact is that Corvette could potentially expand the brand, and that likely may be the drive behind it all. We know that Ferrari, Lambo, Jaguar and others are moving toward performance SUV's, so GM will try to move into that space I believe. In addition, the ME and FE can exist much like the 488 and 812 coexist. I think the facts I've laid go unanswered, but instead there is just a flat out denial of possibility. Explain it then; don't call it delusional, debate it.

I have to laugh at times when people in politics, cars, sports...whatever, merely call the opposing side "delusional" or "insane"...why not provide a counter argument based in fact. I don't WANT the FE...I am merely letting the evidence I see, that is unexplained, carve the trail. Like all things...follow the money. 733 million invested into the plant, large space expansion, mid cycle shutdown (which rejects historical routines), 270 new jobs people...for what? Someone just answer the last part; if you aren't building MORE cars...how can you guarantee 270 new jobs? They have to be building something!

So, to all the people saying it's simple: The ME is here, the FE is gone...just answer this: Why have they guaranteed to hire 270 more people and expanded the space drastically? To do what?

Another great post K.I.T.T. Don't worry about Foosh, He's just in a sad state of denial.

Foosh 04-24-2019 01:52 AM

I have no reason to be in denial. I don't have the dog you seem to think I have in this fight, as I contemplate my future in a 911 manual when my C7 time plays out. I AM A C7 FAN, which you seem to have completely missed.

In fact, what K.I.T.T. just said is not that far off from what I said above and have been saying over and over and over again for months, which is that a two-platform, two-seat Corvette strategy alone is not viable. But, the expanded Corvette strategy he alludes to would require a realignment of the Chevrolet division, which could well happen at some point in the future, IF Corvette manages to survive enough to graduate into a brand. That will depend entirely upon how well the ME line-up performs. If it underperforms, all bets are off.

Skank, your arguments are an ever moving target. I respond to one thing, then you pivot to something else without even responding to the counterpoints you're challenged with. That is an amateur debating tactic. I have provided more than ample market-based and economic rebuttals to all of your pronouncements before I gave up and had to conclude that delusional or troll were the only explanations for your ramblings. It is impossible to have a rational conversation with you.