CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Headlight washer solenoid (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4266943-headlight-washer-solenoid.html)

hardhattg 04-25-2019 10:39 AM

Headlight washer solenoid

Anyone have any advice regarding installing headlight washer solenoid and all new hoses to headlights ?

Dow the wiper motor come out to install this solenoid ?

Electrical connections ?

My car still has original wiper
motor with headlight washer solenoid but end is broken off and has long since been
bypassed to just have windshield washers working. I am trying to get headlight washer back on line. Zip products solenoid and hose kit coming does not have Y fittings just T fittings in kit and I don’t see a check valve ?
I don’t see any electrical wires abandoned that maybe went to the headlight solenoid anywhere. Anyone know how to wire one of these ?

Also so this is a 300 hp automatic win air car. Runs hot and there was a bulletin way back when about adding shroud extension to these small block ac cars to help with overheating. I order shroud extension kit but it looks like it’s just half a shroud. Bottom half I think. Is there another piece I should have ordered I don’t see anything else in the catalogues or it this what they called and extension ? Just bottom half ?

Thanks for for any help.

caskiguy 04-25-2019 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by hardhattg (Post 1599288754)
Anyone have any advice regarding installing headlight washer solenoid and all new hoses to headlights ?

Dow the wiper motor come out to install this solenoid ?

Electrical connections ?

My car still has original wiper
motor with headlight washer solenoid but end is broken off and has long since been
bypassed to just have windshield washers working. I am trying to get headlight washer back on line. Zip products solenoid and hose kit coming does not have Y fittings just T fittings in kit and I don’t see a check valve ?
I don’t see any electrical wires abandoned that maybe went to the headlight solenoid anywhere. Anyone know how to wire one of these ?

Also so this is a 300 hp automatic win air car. Runs hot and there was a bulletin way back when about adding shroud extension to these small block ac cars to help with overheating. I order shroud extension kit but it looks like it’s just half a shroud. Bottom half I think. Is there another piece I should have ordered I don’t see anything else in the catalogues or it this what they called and extension ? Just bottom half ?

Thanks for for any help.

What year is the car ?

hardhattg 04-25-2019 03:11 PM

Oops

car is 1969

caskiguy 04-25-2019 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by hardhattg (Post 1599290580)
Oops

car is 1969

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...systems-guide/

caskiguy 04-25-2019 04:40 PM

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html

MelWff 04-25-2019 05:01 PM

here is another thread on the headlight washer system
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-washers.html

3X2 04-25-2019 05:59 PM

Most of the vendors sell the solenoid, aka anti drip valve. I would use the hose kit from Dr Rebuild, it is a lot more accurate as far as diameters and striping. There are two "T" fitting but these are check valves and not plain "T"'s. You'll need to find these used. If you mean the "Y" fitting from the washer pump to the solenoid, these are not reproduced by anybody I found. I had to buy a complete wiper motor/pump just to get this fitting. Hopefully, this picture helps.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ac215468d4.jpg

Bergerboy 07-29-2019 12:33 PM

So,my question on this, is regarding the actual solenoid that controls the flow between the wipers and the head lights.
I installed a new-repro pump and solenoid unit a year ago, and got my wiper washers working as specified, but left the head light washers for another time.
So, looking at it now, I can confirm that I do get fluid flow to the head light squirters when I divert the flow from the pump directly to the hose that goes up from to the lights.
However, when I try to plumb the system correctly, I can't get the valve to divert flow from the wipers to the head lights when I press and hold the washer switch (per the Owners Manual).
I do get 12V at the leads that plug into the solenoid when I press the button, but I don't think the actual solenoid is.......solenoid-ing.
I removed the solenoid itself from the pump/valve, and hit it with 12V and ground, but I don't detect and click or movement internally.
I suspect it's supposed to magnetically shift the internal valve pin inside the white plastic valve stalk, but I don't think it's doing its job.
When I press and hold the button, I still get flow of fluid to the wiper port, and only a slight drip from the head light port.

Is there a chance that the solenoid itself is faulty?
Do they sell these separately? (I don't want to invest another $200 on a full unit, and I know the vendor will not make an exchange for me since it's been over a year, plus it's an electrical component that they don't cover under warranty).

I currently have the head light hose "Y'd" off of the Passenger side wiper hose, and I do get plenty of pressure to both head lights that way, so I'm happy for that.
But, would be even cooler to get the system to function again as-designed, at the valve.
Plus, I'm a little wary about siphoning down of my fluid at the head lights since I by-passed the valve for that circuit.

Thoughts?

Willcox Corvette 07-30-2019 11:07 AM

What you are reading in the owners manual is generic hub bub from the manual and only intended for passenger cars not the Corvette, if you look through (and I just pulled a NOS one down to review it) how many other things are in this manual that don't apply to the Corvette.

Next if you look at the wiring of the headlamp and windshield washers, there are two wires that jumper from the windshield washer to the solenoid on the headlamp pump. So when you power up the windshield washers the solenoid will also actuate. (at the same time), there is no special way to separate the two systems on the Corvette. The washer pump powers up off the yellow power wire and the black wire and the jumpers do the same to the solenoid.

Willcox

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e7941ba47c.png

SwampeastMike 08-01-2019 04:55 PM

there is no special way to separate the two systems on the Corvette. The washer pump powers up off the yellow power wire and the black wire and the jumpers do the same to the solenoid
I believe that is incorrect--especially for 1969. See this.

A quick press of the wash button results in a few seconds of fluid sent only to the wipers. Press and hold the button and the so-called "anti-drip" solenoid diverts the fluid to the headlamps.

Note that the normal path of fluid through the "anti-drip" solenoid is to the windshield wipers only. This prevents siphoning of the fluid from the tank to the headlamps. It's the job of those funky tees to [hopefully] stop all of the water in the hoses for the headlamp wash from draining after each use.

SwampeastMike 08-01-2019 05:00 PM

Something tells me that the "anti-drip" solenoid whose operation is akin to a single pole-double throw switch is the main trouble point in the system that leads to both systems operating at the same time and/or formation of a siphon that drains the fluid reservoir via the headlamp washers.

Willcox Corvette 08-01-2019 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by SwampeastMike (Post 1599885370)
Something tells me that the "anti-drip" solenoid whose operation is akin to a single pole-double throw switch is the main trouble point in the system that leads to both systems operating at the same time and/or formation of a siphon that drains the fluid reservoir via the headlamp washers.

Mike,

My synopsis is based on the wiring, both get power from the yellow wire and when ground both work... I've never tested this on a car since it's never really come up which is a shame because I had a very low mile 69 in the shop. I do however have original units here that I could test down the road, but I just don't think the solenoid is that smart... I'll look into it further when I have time.

Currently it's my belief that if the solenoid is powered up it will pump regardless and correct me if I'm wrong. The washer pump for the windshield will pump anytime the the wash button is pushed... I'm kind of curious now... I'll have to give it a go some time soon...

Ernie