CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   PowerStop Z26 pads make rotors brown? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4267923-powerstop-z26-pads-make-rotors-brown.html)

dsandula 04-28-2019 06:25 AM

PowerStop Z26 pads make rotors brown?

I bought a front and rear set of Power Stop Z26 pads for my 2019 Z51 (that I pick up on May 10th) trying to avoid the high cost of the Carbotech equivalent. My only concern is talk of them turning rotors brown in this forum which includes a picture that has been posted repeatedly. I sent this picture to Power Stop asking them to please ease my concern. Please see my message and their response below:

"Hello Power Stop Tech Support,

I just purchased front and rear Z26 pads for my 2019 Corvette Z51 Stingray. I’ll be installing them on a brand new car with less than 200 miles. Rumours on the Corvette chat rooms indicate these pads may turn my rotors brown? Attached is the picture most often seen when this subject is discussed. I purchased mine from an Amazon vendor a week or two ago. Some who comment say it was a bad batch of Z26 pads from 2 or 3 years ago and this issue has been resolved. Many comment they’ve used the Z26’s successfully with no browning of their rotors. Can you help provide any information about your Z26 pads turning rotors brown? It would give me peace of mind and help squash this rumor."

Their response: "Thank you for recent purchase of Power Stop Brakes. I have only since one case of the brake rotors turning brown i have not seen another case like that. We have sold hundreds of this brake pads to different vendors that have sold them to customers. It could had been the material exchange between the pad and rotor due to that vehicle having Iron & Ceramic rotors. Chemical reaction when the bedding procedure was done."

Jmhornz71 04-28-2019 07:25 AM

I put the powerstops on my 2015 Z51. I dont have any problem with the rotors turning brown. They have been on the car about 10k miles and 7 months so far :flag:

Mako72 04-28-2019 08:27 AM

Same here. Installed the Power Stops on my '17 GS when new. Now 10K miles later, never had any browning.

devnull 04-28-2019 08:41 AM

No issues here and I’ve used them on several C7’s and 6th gen Camaros

TSLAVette 04-28-2019 08:50 AM

The obvious English as a second, third or fourth language concerns me in their response to you.

Further, I have seen ZERO comparative stopping data on any of these pads vs the OEM Brembo. If it comes down to eradicating speed or dusty wheels, I choose eradicating speed / stopping! There’s a reason the Brembos cost more than all of these aftermarket options.

rckt 04-28-2019 09:00 AM

I have to replace my z51 pads ASAP, the brake dust is a killer on chrome wheels.

KenHorse 04-28-2019 10:46 AM

Another vote for not having issues with brown rotors (Grand Sport)

fugly1 04-28-2019 12:16 PM

My rotors turned darker after installing the power stop pads on my '16 Z51. Kind of annoying, but not a big deal.

Mayor111 04-28-2019 12:28 PM

Never had an issue with PowerStop...worked flawlessly and zero discoloration. :thumbs:

Myfourth1 04-28-2019 12:39 PM

Nope....8,000 miles and counting....
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...117b4aada1.jpg

jimmie jam 04-28-2019 01:14 PM

I put them on my 2016 CTS4 when new. 14k later, no issues. I will put them on the C7 if I ever get around to start driving it....

Rebel Yell 04-28-2019 05:23 PM

So for, so good with the Z23 Power Stops on my GS.

Disclaimer: Only have approx. 150 miles on them now.

Roastum1 04-28-2019 06:01 PM

Nope no brown rotors on vette or 5th gen. Camaro!

LuisZ51 04-28-2019 06:04 PM

I have the Z26 pads on my Z51 Stingray. I've only put 500 miles on them so far but no browning yet. I had some along with their slotted rotors on my Silverado with 24x14" wheels and 37" tires. They stopped on a dime and they're no different on my Vette.

James Dean 04-28-2019 06:07 PM

I have Z26 pads on my Z51 with Stingray Brushed Aluminum wheels and they barely cause any dusting. The rotors themselves however are not discolored usually. I did go through tail of the dragon and had some hot pads after that when I parked my rotors were a tad bit discolored.

Other than that I haven't had an issue with roughly 10k miles on them and some track days / mountain trips.

raylo 04-28-2019 06:51 PM

I have the Z26 pads. Slight bronzing on the rotors, but essentially no dust. IMO that is a fair trade off. Stock pads were unbelievable dusters.

JerryU 04-28-2019 07:25 PM

^^^
You're not the only one observing "brown rotors."
In addition to Wecker3 who has posted his “brown rotor pic" (See below) these are other Forum Posts

KGrant CF Senior Member
"OK I love my PowerStop pads and after 3k miles they stop fine and the decrease in dusting is great. However, I to have noticed the brown on the rotors and was wondering what is the deal on the brown and is there a remedy or cause of the browning?"

Marcho Polo CF Senior Member
"I had them on my Z51 and they certainly did discolor my rotors. And they didn't need to just be washed. Man people sure get pissy around here just because others have a different experience or opinion!
Other than turning my rotors brown, I think the PowerStops were just fine for street use. I do believe they had a little less bite than stock pads, but I got used to it. I put 15,000 miles on them and they absolutely had hardly any dust and I loved that.
To each their own, it doesn't piss me off if someone buys PowerStops! Who the F cares!?!?!?
I'm going with Carbotech this time on my GS. Doesn't mean I think anyone that uses PowerStop are a dumbass or anything."

I also had a brown residue on the rotor groves from the PowerStop Pads I used then tossed after 900 miles. Not because of the brown color but because they did not stop as well as the OEM pads when the pads were cold. I have a somewhat unique requirement of needing to stop aggressively with cold pads- see pic below. I had put Carbotech 1521 pads on my 2014 Z51 and used them with excellent results for 3 years.

Then lots of positive comments on the Forum and the $125 price, (delivered with tax) for PowerStop I bought them before my Grand Sport was delivered. After 900 miles they were not stopping when col with the confidence I had for 3 years with the Carbotech 1521 1521's (remined me of the metallic brakes on had on my modified Corvair that did not stop well unless warm- typical of racing brakes.) Tossed them and bought Carbotech 1521 pads. They have stopped great with excellext confidence with cold pads and hot pads for 2 years. No Browning, No Noise and 85% Less Dust than the OEM pads.

I have no affiliation with Carbotech or any pad manufacturer- just relating my experience and research. Appears to me the "browning" is due to a QA issue. The cold pad stopping is a design issue, IMO (see pic below of min temp needed with some racing pads for good stopping.)

So those happy with PowerStop don't say it's just me, here are other posts indicating similar issues with cold pads:

Village Idiot (a knowledgeable avid Tracker) CF Senior Member
"I put the Power Stop Z26 pads in and I seriously regret it. Braking power and bite sucks compared to OEM. It was actually kind of dangerous- not because the braking system is inadequate but because I wasn't used to it. It was a big enough change from street to race pads for the track but this is going to make it far more pronounced. Not sure I'd do it again if I had the chance."

Z06NJ CF Senior Member
"Initially you will feel that you have to step harder to make them brake the same as OEM. That's because all you know up to that time are the OEM brakes. However, with time, it becomes like muscle memory. Now I just brake like normal and don't even think about it.
But I'll never forget the 1st day I got them installed and I was driving home, I was like "
WTF's going on here...I'm gonna end up rear ending somebody" LOL
But you get used to them."

YOUR CAR DO AS YOU WISH
This is a 25 page PDF of my installs on a Z51 and Grand Sport with lots of pic. It has my observations about what the QA problems may be (although from reports it's not a high percentage) and well as why the superior cold pad perfomance of Carbotech pads. http://netwelding.com/Ceramic_Pads.pdf
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...52498b3758.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...38a7f4aa9c.jpg
This pic from Wecker3 Posted on the Forum.

LuisZ51 04-28-2019 08:27 PM

If the Powerstops do turn your rotors brown, will they send you another set, refund or something? Willing to bet they will.

gliot1 04-28-2019 09:21 PM

This was supposedly remedied with the Z26. I just installed some. Will keep you posted.

iclick 04-28-2019 09:37 PM

No issues after two years on my GS. Completely satisfied.