CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   Question on ceramic coating care? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/4269200-question-on-ceramic-coating-care.html)

JMills 05-01-2019 01:46 PM

Question on ceramic coating care?

Is it safe to use Kamikaze over coat as a maintenance product on my ceramic coated Z?

ssg10587 05-01-2019 03:30 PM

Think some have mentioned waxes and sealants can interact and harm coatings but I've never had any issues layering. Id personally go for it.

vader86 05-01-2019 04:40 PM

Yes, I use it. I did notice that you only need a bare spritz on the towel. You'll see streaks if you put too much on. Depending on the car color, might need to pull it back into the sun to see em all.

BudgetPlan1 05-02-2019 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by JMills (Post 1599325106)
Is it safe to use Kamikaze over coat as a maintenance product on my ceramic coated Z?

It is IMO the best coating maintenance product I have used, been using it to maintain coated cars since 2016. Water behavior and self-cleaning are otherwordly compared to some of the other coating maintenance products out there like Gyeon Cure, Gtechniq C2V3, CarPro Reload and such.

As mentioned, very, very little is required. Too much and you'll get some streaking that seems hard to remove. If this happens, grab a soft microfiber towel, wet it with hot water and remove the streaks, followed by a buff with a dry, plush towel. It also helps to dampen the application towel (do not spray Overcoat on dry paint surface, inevitably you'll apply too much) with a very light mist of water prior to spritzing with Overcoat. About 1 light spritz into the towel per panel.

I also use it as a drying aid after flood rinsing car; a spritz or 2 in something like a Rag Company Platinum Pluffle per panel and dry away...makes drying easier and quicker as well.

I've probably tried 15-20 coating maintenance products in the last few years, Overcoat is at the top of the list.Don't need much and even applying monthly is likely overkill but won't hurt anything. Last Spring I bought a 250ml bottle and using as a drying aid every 3-4 weeks w/ 3 coated cars I still had about 50ml left in can (or more) when November came around.

With coatings, you want to maintain them with a product compatible with ceramic/glass/quartz coatings; top it with a spray wax, quick detailer or other non-specific product and while you'll not hurt anything, you'll just be covering up the beneficial properties of the coating with what you used. Essentially the same reason you don't wanna wash your car with a shampoo that contains, polymers, gloss enhancers or wax but rather with a pure, ph balanced shampoo like Gyeon Bathe or CarPro Reset.