CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   PKE System Help_Knowledge Needed Please! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4269499-pke-system-help_knowledge-needed-please.html)

Phil95LT1 05-02-2019 09:16 AM

PKE System Help_Knowledge Needed Please!

Hey guys. So my 95LT1 did not come with a fob. Ok fine. So I have recently decided to finally tackle this project. I ordered a new fob from Bree the original designer of the system for GM.
Question 1 - when I try to put the system into program mode it will not go. My PKE light does NOT come on when key is turned to the one position. So I think, hey maybe it’s disabled? But should it still go into program mode even if it is disabled?
Question 2 - Do I have to have a fob in or near the car to even start the program mode? I feel like this should. Or matter. From what I read I should be able to go into program mode at anytime.
Question 3 - If my PKE is disabled and the fob I purchase hasn’t been programmed to my car yet how can I enable the system?
Question 4 - Is my PKE module bad? And how do I really know it is? Is this the only possible thing it could be? I don’t want to buy a new module if there is or may be something I’m missing???

Some have told me to get over it and don’t worry about the fob or yawing the system. But I am a guy who likes for things to work as they were intended to. Plus I believe when working and programmed properly it would be very nice and convenient.

Thank you you for your read and your time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Phil

pacoW 05-02-2019 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Phil95LT1 (Post 1599329569)
Hey guys. So my 95LT1 did not come with a fob. Ok fine. So I have recently decided to finally tackle this project. I ordered a new fob from Bree the original designer of the system for GM.
Question 1 - when I try to put the system into program mode it will not go. My PKE light does NOT come on when key is turned to the one position. So I think, hey maybe it’s disabled? But should it still go into program mode even if it is disabled?
Question 2 - Do I have to have a fob in or near the car to even start the program mode? I feel like this should. Or matter. From what I read I should be able to go into program mode at anytime.
Question 3 - If my PKE is disabled and the fob I purchase hasn’t been programmed to my car yet how can I enable the system?
Question 4 - Is my PKE module bad? And how do I really know it is? Is this the only possible thing it could be? I don’t want to buy a new module if there is or may be something I’m missing???

Some have told me to get over it and don’t worry about the fob or yawing the system. But I am a guy who likes for things to work as they were intended to. Plus I believe when working and programmed properly it would be very nice and convenient.

Thank you you for your read and your time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Phil

hate to be the barer of bad news and this is just a guess (from my experience) but your PKE module is probably shot..... if you can't get it into programming mode. my '96 is/was the same, I checked before I bought the FOB.

Phil95LT1 05-02-2019 10:15 AM

I kinda figured this. Did you replace your module?
I know the job isn’t difficult but I heard it’s not a plug and go that you have to do some programming with or to related to the module swap. Do you know?

Phil

pacoW 05-02-2019 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Phil95LT1 (Post 1599329932)
I know the job isn’t difficult but I heard it’s not a plug and go that you have to do some programming with or to related to the module swap. Do you know?

Phil

best I could find on a salvage PKE module was $100 or so. Add to that the FOB(s) which aren't cheap either, and it's just not worth it for me. Pulling the dashpad doesn't sound fun either. Plus if I wanted I could wire up a cheap aftermarket remote lock system for $30 or $40 bucks.

markKlein 05-14-2019 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Phil95LT1 (Post 1599329932)

Phil

Just saw this post. You should be able to enter programming mode without a fob. Check the fuses: 26, 40 and 42. Make sure the buttons are all functioning correctly. You don't need to do any programming changes to put in a replacement PKE module (it is plug & go) , but I understand it is quite a chore.

Phil95LT1 05-16-2019 02:49 PM

Thank you. Not sure how to check the buttons? Maybe take it apart and clean the contacts. Fuses are good!
guess I know what I’m doing on Saturday morning.

pacoW 05-16-2019 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Phil95LT1 (Post 1599413331)
Thank you. Not sure how to check the buttons? Maybe take it apart and clean the contacts. Fuses are good!
guess I know what I’m doing on Saturday morning.

Steps to put PKE into programming mode, have you tried this. So if your TRIP ODO, and FUEL INFO buttons will cycle the display in the LCD then you know the buttons are working.

1. Move all transmitters out of range.
2. Turn the ignition key on.
3. Push TRIP OD0 on the Driver Information Center
twice.
4. Within five seconds, press and hold FUEL INFO
until the PASSIVE KEYLESS ENTRY light
comes on.
5. Turn the ignition off, but leave the key in the
ignition. The PASSIVE KEYLESS ENTRY light
should begin to flash to show the system is in
programming mode.
6. Bring one transmitter into range. The light will stop
flashing and stay on to show that the codeis stored.
7. Move the transmitter out of range. The light should
start flashing again.
8. Repeat Steps 6 and 7 with each additional transmitter.

Phil95LT1 05-16-2019 03:56 PM

Yes my buttons work. I use them regularly I’m not sure why I didn’t realize that. Lol
when i try and put it in program mode the pke light never comes on. Also, it doesn’t come on during initial start up when the rest of the dash light do?
Does this mean I need a new PKE module?
there are a few on eBay for about $100 bucks.
Just don’t know if I will get a working one.
Any other tricks I can try? Also, I’m not sure where to find those lil gray build holders that are in the dash Info area. I will upload a pic in a few hours. Thought I had one on my phone

pacoW 05-16-2019 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Phil95LT1 (Post 1599413753)
Yes my buttons work. I use them regularly I’m not sure why I didn’t realize that. Lol
when i try and put it in program mode the pke light never comes on.

That's where I stopped and assumed my PKE module was dead (after checking all else).

I saw those on ebay too. At the time best "warranty" was 30 day refund and/or 90 day replacement, which is pretty standard for salvage parts.

Phil95LT1 05-16-2019 05:29 PM

Paco did you end up replacing your module?
Did that do the job?

My two girls 05-16-2019 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Phil95LT1 (Post 1599414300)
Did that do the job?

For whatever it’s worth, I purchased a PKE on ebay for 150 a few weeks ago and installed it last week. Taking the dash off is not as difficult as you might think, as it is a fairly easy job, but I do recommend you have someone help you when you reinstall it.

pacoW 05-17-2019 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Phil95LT1 (Post 1599414300)
Did that do the job?

No I did not. I really don't care about "original" factory side of it. The PKE module cost is approx $125, one factory style fob is close to another hundred. I can buy a $40 remote lock kit that includes fobs, not factory but it'll work just fine. The wiring setup/job is much easier than removing the dash panel also so if I really need the remote locks that's my route.

markKlein 05-17-2019 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Phil95LT1 (Post 1599413753)
when i try and put it in program mode the pke light never comes on. Also, it doesn’t come on during initial start up when the rest of the dash light do?
Does this mean I need a new PKE module?
there are a few on eBay for about $100 bucks.
Just don’t know if I will get a working one.
Any other tricks I can try? Also, I’m not sure where to find those lil gray build holders that are in the dash Info area. I will upload a pic in a few hours. Thought I had one on my phone

If the light doesn't come on at start up it means the system is "off", but you should still be able to enter programming mode. All indications are that your PKE module has ailed. Fairly common.

Phil95LT1 05-23-2019 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by markKlein (Post 1599417377)
If the light doesn't come on at start up it means the system is "off", but you should still be able to enter programming mode. All indications are that your PKE module has ailed. Fairly common.

Thanks. Guess I’ll order a new one. What’s another $100 bucks! We’ll see....