CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   Kamikaze Miyabi - Wipe down after a drive (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/4269776-kamikaze-miyabi-wipe-down-after-a-drive.html)

ssmith512 05-02-2019 08:08 PM

Kamikaze Miyabi - Wipe down after a drive

Greetings All!

I am getting ready to do my first ever ceramic coating on my new '19 Arctic White Z. Thanks to the wonderful suggestions provided by the experts here in this forum, I have decided on Kamikaze Miyabi Coat for my first go at this.

My car is a nice day weekend warrior, so it never really gets "dirty", but definitely gets "dusty" after an afternoons drive around town. So my question is this, after a day's drive, and while it is sitting in the garage waiting for the next nice day's adventure, what product do you recommend as a "quick detail" like product I can use regularly to wipe down and "de-dust" the car after each drive? My research tells me not to use your typical "quick detail" type products as most of them contain waxes or shine enhancers, etc. that can build up over time and reduce the effectiveness of the ceramic coating.

My last car was a Carbon Flash Metallic C6 Grand Sport and I was pleased with how the Adam's Detail Spray (the pink stuff) worked for me on that car (it was not ceramic coated, I kept it waxed), but I am not certain that is the product I want to use on my new ceramic coated car.

Would appreciate any advice/suggestions you all can offer.

Thanks in advance!!

yamabob 05-03-2019 06:34 AM

You can use N 914 diluted down to QD strength for those quick needs. A monthly wipe down with Overcoat with re-freshen and extend that coating

dfettero 05-03-2019 10:18 AM

Adams Waterless Wash

I use Adam's Waterless Wash for quick detailing on my ceramic coat.
It has no waxes or gloss enhancing polymers.
They have a new ceramic waterless wash spray but I find its streaky.

Originally Posted by ssmith512 (Post 1599333669)
Greetings All!

I am getting ready to do my first ever ceramic coating on my new '19 Arctic White Z. Thanks to the wonderful suggestions provided by the experts here in this forum, I have decided on Kamikaze Miyabi Coat for my first go at this.

My car is a nice day weekend warrior, so it never really gets "dirty", but definitely gets "dusty" after an afternoons drive around town. So my question is this, after a day's drive, and while it is sitting in the garage waiting for the next nice day's adventure, what product do you recommend as a "quick detail" like product I can use regularly to wipe down and "de-dust" the car after each drive? My research tells me not to use your typical "quick detail" type products as most of them contain waxes or shine enhancers, etc. that can build up over time and reduce the effectiveness of the ceramic coating.

My last car was a Carbon Flash Metallic C6 Grand Sport and I was pleased with how the Adam's Detail Spray (the pink stuff) worked for me on that car (it was not ceramic coated, I kept it waxed), but I am not certain that is the product I want to use on my new ceramic coated car.

Thanks in advance!!

FYRARMS 05-03-2019 01:43 PM

I was pleased with how the Adam's Detail Spray (the pink stuff) worked for me on that car (it was not ceramic coated, I kept it waxed), but I am not certain that is the product I want to use on my new ceramic coated car.

Adam's Detail Spray is a great product, but not for ceramic coatings. It contains a small amount of wax. You can use some fully-synthetic detail sprays on the market, but stay away from the ones that claim to add any "protection". That will take away from your coating's hydrophobic qualities. I would stick to ceramic-friendly sprays that are meant to be used as "toppers". Jax Wax has a "Ceramic Detailer" that has good reviews, and Dinowax has a product called "Serum Boost" which is a really good value. I have used it on top of a sealant application, and it worked really well.

vader86 05-03-2019 03:11 PM

I've never bothered to dust it between washes, and for washes I may help dry with Overcoat. I don't know of anything i'd use for this except a damp cloth

justplainjim 05-03-2019 06:06 PM

I use Chadwick's Triple Play with great results on the Miyabi coat..

charley95 05-04-2019 07:30 AM

Of all the detail sprays I've used,I find Kenotec works best for me. It's by far the easiest to remove of all that I've tried. Not sure if it's good for ceramic coating.

FYRARMS 05-04-2019 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by charley95 (Post 1599341068)
Of all the detail sprays I've used,I find Kenotec works best for me.

One of my favorites! Just bought another bottle. Detailed Image had them on sale for $16.95 and free shipping!

ssmith512 05-05-2019 07:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestions friends!

Anyone have any experience with PoorBoys Spray and Wipe Waterless Wash?

yamabob 05-05-2019 08:42 AM

Yes. Another option that will clean up and not alter the LSP. I use to get any bird droppings. Their Bug Squash is pretty dang good too.

FYRARMS 05-05-2019 01:19 PM

I use a lot of Poorboy's World products. Great quality for the price point, for sure.

endus 05-06-2019 09:48 AM

If you want to keep the car swirl free, don't wipe the paint if it hasn't been washed. It's that simple.

My approach to detailing is to do everything I can to minimize damage so I don't have to polish the car more than once every two years or so. Your mileage may vary - some people don't mind or even like putting more work into it.

BudgetPlan1 05-06-2019 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by endus (Post 1599351107)
If you want to keep the car swirl free, don't wipe the paint if it hasn't been washed. It's that simple.

My approach to detailing is to do everything I can to minimize damage so I don't have to polish the car more than once every two years or so. Your mileage may vary - some people don't mind or even like putting more work into it.

Sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something...

yamabob 05-06-2019 02:47 PM

^^ Now that is classic^^

WI Badger in OBX 05-12-2020 01:00 PM

Im an Adam's products fan, easy to use for a weekend warrior like myself. I also ceramic coated my car.

Loki 6 05-12-2020 01:28 PM

Greetings All!

Thanks in advance!!

I was talking about this in another thread...the use of detail sprays as dust and minor contaminant removers and how they might not be the best thing. I'll do a little cut and paste from the other thread (cause i'd say the same thing here to you and I'm lazy) The bold part is the cut and paste from the other post. I'll try to add something new too.

This applies to a car that was just driven to a show or a weekend cruise, or if your car has been sitting for a while and there is light contamination on it, and even some minor water spotting and you want to take it out looking shiny and detailed.

When my car has a little dirt and dust I use the Adam's Ceramic Waterless Wash. I absolutely LOVE this product and I'm not really a "waterless wash type of guy".

I recently started using it after arriving at car shows and realizing that there is road contaminants on the car - don't be the "immediately starts with the detail spray guy" or similar product until these contaminants are gone.

Many folks leave the house with an extremely clean and detailed car; heading to a show. The minute they get there, they bust out with the detail spray, but they don't realize that after a drive there can easily be dust and dirt on the car and that many basic detail sprays (in my opinion) don't have enough good quality lubrication to remove these contaminants safely and without scratching. Sure they will get it off, sure the car will gleam, but I suspect these unsuspecting gentlemen are scratching their cars while doing so....this is just my neurotic opinion.

So...before I bust out with a gloss and shine enhancing product, I like to quickly go over the car with a waterless wash. I like the Adam's Ceramic Waterless wash VERY MUCH. It has a really good amount of lubrication and leaves behind a slick low surface tension feeling which will repel a decent amount of water should you spritz it down after using to check the hydrophobic properties. I also like the Wolfgang Uber Rinseless wash too, although I suspect it is more polymer based than SiO2 based like the Adam's is.

If you like using detail sprays to boost some gloss use one that will cater to your ceramic coating - as mentioned by the others in this thread. You can make your own from different products like I do, or you can simply purchase a RTU (Ready To Use) product. I'f I was buying an RTU product, I'd probably get some CarPro Elixir, although there are many other good ones too. If you like Adams' they make a line of products that cater specifically to ceramic coated cars...from detail sprays, to washes and such.

Good luck and let us know if you have any further quesitons.

LS WON 05-12-2020 07:09 PM

Greetings All!

Thanks in advance!!

I have that Adam's pink Detail Spray and it smells good. I also h ave it in the pumpkin edition.:lurk:
But in deciding which ceramic coating to use, doesn't ceramic coatings require to be professionally installed?
Are there any you can apply yourself by hand? or easy application?

Loki 6 05-12-2020 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by LS WON (Post 1601492804)
But in deciding which ceramic coating to use, doesn't ceramic coatings require to be professionally installed?
Are there any you can apply yourself by hand? or easy application?

There are many consumer level and "prosumer' level ceramic coating available to the hobbyist or enthusiast level detailers out there.

Unless I'm totally off base here, all the ceramic coating go on by hand either with a MF applicator or suede swatch- there is no machine involved in the application, leveling or final buff stages. Some are easier than others to apply.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/mp-1...l#.XrtYSmhKito

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/gyeo...l#.XrtYc2hKito

However, if you are thinking of the pre-application stages like paint correction and polishing then yes, a machine like a DA or rotary buffer would be necessary.

LS WON 05-13-2020 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Loki 6 (Post 1601493901)
There are many consumer level and "prosumer' level ceramic coating available to the hobbyist or enthusiast level detailers out there.

Unless I'm totally off base here, all the ceramic coating go on by hand either with a MF applicator or suede swatch- there is no machine involved in the application, leveling or final buff stages. Some are easier than others to apply.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/mp-1...l#.XrtYSmhKito

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/gyeo...l#.XrtYc2hKito

what about Feynlabs Ceramic Lite??

However, if you are thinking of the pre-application stages like paint correction and polishing then yes, a machine like a DA or rotary buffer would be necessary.

:thumbs:

BudgetPlan1 05-13-2020 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by LS WON (Post 1601494514)
what about Feynlabs Ceramic Lite??

:thumbs:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...74fc873aa2.jpg

If'n you'd like to give the Feynlab a try, I have a new, unopened bottle that I bought a bout 2 months ago to try but my motivation to actually prep a vehicle and use it has vanished :lol:

It's supposed to be very, very easy to apply and my experience w/ previous Feynlab coatings (Ceramic + Topcoat) showed that it is a very, very brilliant shine, closest to a sealant/Zaino look of any coating I've tried.

If you'd like it, I'll send it to you at no charge and even pay shipping. No reason to just let it sit here on my desk doing nothing...shoot me a PM w/ your shipping info if you'd like it.

Vendor description:

FEYNLAB® CERAMIC LITE
Ceramic Lite is an easy to use, durable, slick, hydrophobic paint coating providing a high level of gloss to enhance any vehicle. It is extremely simple to apply with superb durability proven by 60,000+ real world client vehicle installations.

FEYNLAB® CERAMIC LITE is the legacy technology of our chief FEYNLAB® chemist who has innovated automotive ceramic coatings since 1996. This coating has been continually improved and is now available to the public exclusively as FEYNLAB® CERAMIC LITE.

Ceramic Lite is classified as our entry level coating due its extreme user friendly application method. ‘Lite’ designates the coating contains a lower solids content than our traditional offerings. However, it still packs quite a punch in terms of durability and performance.

FEYNLAB engineers, manufacturers, bottles, and ships all products in-house in the USA. Therefore, we can offer a consumer grade product that rivals many other pro offerings at a reasonable cost since we have cut out the price inflation of the traditional two and three tier distribution models.

CERAMIC LITE Benefits

CERAMIC LITE is the most economical and simple to apply ceramic nano coating in the FEYNLAB® family.
The performance allows installers to offer this service to customers at a price that is extremely competitive with other coating brand price points while equaling or surpassing those other brands in terms of performance.
Simple installation, with a friendly wipe on / wipe off application.
A hydrophobic surface, easily out performing all traditional waxes and sealants.
Surface versatility – Ceramic Lite may be used to protect most vehicle exterior surfaces. Check the approved surfaces below.
CERAMIC LITE provides a coated vehicle with an impressive combination of ultra-slickness, durability, gloss, and hydrophobic properties.
FEYNLAB’s® true nano technology and bonding chemistry allows for an unparalleled level of protection since the formula penetrates further into the existing paint structure than anything else available.
Durability & Approved Surfaces

Durability: 1+ Year(s)

APPROVED SURFACES FOR APPLICATION ONLY: – DO NOT apply to unapproved surfaces

Clear-coated painted surfaces (see warranty terms & conditions for approved manufacturers & vehicle types
Black textured plastics (test if unsure)
Headlights & Tail-lights
Black piano trim
Clear-coated painted wheel rims & calipers
Shelf Life
Unopened – 1 year. Opened – Use within 1-2 months. ALWAYS keep cap on bottle when not in use.

Included
30ml (1oz) FEYNLAB® CERAMIC LITE (enough for 1 mid-sized vehicle)

Cautions
Always wear respirator & gloves during application. Ensure application area is free of loose contamination.

Paint Preparation
Thoroughly clean vehicle surface using FEYNLAB® PURE WASH. Follow with a topical decontamination clay treatment using FEYNLAB® PRIME. If necessary, use a ferrous iron removal product to remove all embedded iron deposits.

After polishing paint to the desired level, remove all polish oils using FEYNLAB® PANEL PREP to ensure optimal bonding and durability of the coating. After completing Panel Prep on all surfaces, wait a minimum of 10 min after using panel prep before coating application.

Directions
Prior to application, place vehicle in a well lit, temperature controlled 10°C-30°C (50°F-85°F), & contamination free environment. Have plenty (6 or more) new microfiber towels, 2 or 3 microfiber applicators on hand BEFORE application.

Once the vehicle is prepared, it is strongly recommended to tape off and protect all unapproved surfaces. This minimizes the risk of etching by the solvents in FEYNLAB® CERAMIC LITE on unapproved surfaces. Avoid these surfaces with CERAMIC LITE and wipe off immediately if any product accidentally finds these surfaces.

Shake CERAMIC LITE vigorously for 2 min before use. Open the bottle and allow the coating 1 min of air exposure.

CERAMIC LITE Application Instructions

Apply enough CERAMIC LITE to a microfiber applicator to fully cover a single panel such as a door or half a hood.
Make a “+” (plus) sign with product in the middle of the panel, then wipe around the boundaries of the section creating a frame.
Next, fill in the framed area with slightly overlapping horizontal (left to right) straight lines over the entire panel. After, switch to vertical overlapping lines. This cross-hatching pattern ensures even application.
Due to its user friendliness, CERAMIC LITE may be applied to the entire vehicle before removal.
After application, step back and look for any areas missed or those with excess product. If found, smooth out evenly with the applicator sponge. This will ensure even drying across the panel and minimize excess product usage.
Allow CERAMIC LITE to dwell on the panel a minimum of 15-20 min, until it is about 75% dry. Dwell time may vary depending on humidity and temperature. * Humid Climates 75%+ = Shorter Dwell time.
To test removal readiness: lightly swipe a small spot with a gloved finger. If the swipe reveals a clean trail then remove. If the swipe smears then allow it to dwell longer. Repeat swipe test again in 2-5 min increments to determine wipe times.
Wipe off CERAMIC LITE following same pattern of application, using two clean MF towels. Towel A (left hand) will remove (level) the majority of the coating. Towel B (right hand) will remove any remaining residue, revealing a crystal clear surface.
Recommended Maximum Area of Application:
ENTIRE vehicle, then wipe off in same pattern as application.

Note: If using CERAMIC LITE on black textured plastics, perform a simple wipe after 1-2 min to ensure even application and wipe clear if you see any residue or uneven areas.

Final Inspection
Be sure to carefully inspect all finished panels for any leftover coating residue (high spots) during the final wipe. Commonly edges, emblems, and other tight areas may contain some remaining residue. High spots are much easier to remove if caught within a 20-40 min window after the final wipe, than later when the coating has setup.

Layering
Although one layer of CERAMIC LITE is sufficient to achieve the one-year durability on clear-coated painted surfaces, another coat may be applied to any area to gain additional thickness (such as the hood or front bumper).

To layer CERAMIC LITE, wait 1-3 hours before applying a second layer. DO NOT wait longer than 3 hours after first layer or cloudiness will result.

Infrared Curing (Optional)
Bake each panel with an IR lamp to reach a surface temperature of 60°C (140°F) for 15min at a distance of ~ 30-36″ from the panel.

Post Application Instructions

Avoid any incidental water exposure for 24 hours. If it occurs, gently wipe water off the surface.
Avoid all chemicals including car washes for 7 days.
If the vehicle must be released in wet conditions before 24hrs after the final coating, then apply FEYNLAB® DETAILER after 1-2 hours of curing time.
Wash & Maintain Paint Regularly using FEYNLAB® PURE WASH or FEYNLAB® PURE RINSELESS.
Climate Notes
All FEYNLAB® Coatings are subject to different dwell and curing time windows due to humidity and temperature conditions. In General, the higher the humidity level the quicker the coating will cure. If humidity level approaches 75% or higher then consider lessening the recommended dwell and wipe times for the coating.

Additionally moving air will decrease coating dwell times for areas it contacts. Therefore, it is recommended to stop all moving air as much as possible during coating applications to ensure consistency for all portions of the vehicle.

Coatings are best applied in temperature controlled environments of 10°C-30°C (50°F-85°F), with humidity as low as possible.