CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   The stress! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4269780-the-stress.html)

Ryan8182 05-02-2019 08:20 PM

The stress!

I gotta say I was not prepared for the stress of parking my new Vette in a crowded parking lot. I was very particular about where I parked my new Silverado when I got it...fast forward 4 years and there are door dings all up and down both sides (I hate people). Now I have my Vette I watch it like a hawk and stress so hard about people parking next to it. It's my baby and I've wanted one since i was a little kid. I'm kinda getting to the point that i just want to drive it for joy rides and never take it somewhere where i have to park. Sorry I'm ranting, but the stress is real.

ShadowGray19 05-02-2019 08:49 PM

I understand your concerns. My wife and I never park in a place (i.e., crowded parking lots) where we can pick up dings with any of our vehicles. Best example is my 2001 Ram 2500 I had for 14 years. Not a single door ding or any other damage the day I traded it. I NEVER would park the Corvette anywhere there was a high potential for parking lot damage. I do not patronize businesses with poorly designed tight spaced parking lots. You can never be 100% sure but you can eliminate most of the risk most of the time. Not a mark on any of our current vehicles to date.

owc6 05-02-2019 08:49 PM

It's a Chevy.

Reasonable caution is called for, but if it's causing more anxiety than pleasure, then maybe the car is not for you.

Kevin A Jones 05-02-2019 08:50 PM

I know how you feel neighbor. It's a real shame that some were never taught to respect other's people's property. I go ballistic even when I see someone bang their door against someone else's car. I know some here will say, "it's just a car", however it's just common decency to at least try not to damage someone else's property that they have worked hard for in most cases.

LuisZ51 05-02-2019 08:54 PM

Get use to it man. People are Aholes. No lie, I've parked at the very farthest corner of parking lots where the closet vehicle is hundreds of feet away and it NEVER fails. I come out and there will be some junker parked right beside me! :mad:

The Creeper 05-02-2019 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by LuisZ51 (Post 1599333951)
Get use to it man. People are Aholes. No lie, I've parked at the very farthest corner of parking lots where the closet vehicle is hundreds of feet away and it NEVER fails. I come out and there will be some junker parked right beside me! :mad:

that at was me.:rofl:

Range_Rat 05-02-2019 09:08 PM

This is why we can't have nice things ...

Shanlor25 05-02-2019 09:09 PM

My grandson's and I call them SPIAs, Social Pain in the Asterisk (A** ).

Slynky 05-02-2019 09:12 PM

Same here but I don't really stress any more.

FIRST rule is don't do what some people do--straddle two spots. That's likely to piss someone off and really get some damage with a key (or otherwise).

SECONDLY, I practice "defensive parking" (my term). Obviously, parking away from the pack is a no-brainer. Looking for an "end spot" is similarly a no-brainer. When I use an end spot with curbs present, I spend extra time putting my tires about 4 inches away from it (to maximize space on the opposite side--the danger side). Finding an end spot without curbs and sometimes those diagonal yellow stripes is a nice spot (because you can put the tires on the yellow stripes a bit and protect the "danger side" even more.

IF you find yourself needing to park where it's crowded (or likely to fill up), choose your spot instead of letting chance play out. Park beside 4-door cars (instead of 2-door cars). Park beside expensive cars instead of cars with primer on the fender (for example). I generally don't park beside trucks or SUVs (because I perceive these people care the least... and kids come piling out of SUVs and definitely don't care about opening the door all the way).

Anyway, I use this method and I sold my 370Z for this 'Vette and it didn't have a single ding in it after owning it 8.5 years.

And yes, I have parked out in the "boonies" to see a car (of dubious condition) parked beside mine but I've never seen a ding from it. I sometimes think people do it do give me a scare (and chuckle to themselves) but never intend to do any damage. And sometimes, I figure it's just someone who parked beside me so they could get a good look at my car before they walk in to a restaurant (or some place).

Don't stress... just think before parking and then let it go.

TXSteveF 05-02-2019 09:16 PM

I’m with you 100%. There are times I won’t take my Vette because of the parking. I agree with Slynky, be selective and defensive in where you park. Always next to a curb or beside another nice car. Don’t stress, just don’t park in bad areas.

Zjoe6 05-02-2019 09:18 PM

It's worth the effort of being careful. I've had two vettes and not one single door ding. There is a way to avoid it.

The Creeper 05-02-2019 09:24 PM

Orange safety cones, I take 20 of the every where I go.:thumbs:

KenHorse 05-02-2019 09:37 PM

Always drive with someone who has a handicap placard :D

Ryan8182 05-02-2019 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by owc6 (Post 1599333914)
It's a Chevy.

Reasonable caution is called for, but if it's causing more anxiety than pleasure, then maybe the car is not for you.

Way more pleasure and definitely the car for me! It's not just a Chevy to me, its THE Chevy and I happen to love ALL of my Chevrolet's

saleen556 05-02-2019 09:50 PM

Relax and treat it like the car it is. You’ll enjoy it much more and have lower blood pressure 👍🏻 Nothing wrong with finding a nice parking spot. However most of the time when people park next to you it’s beca they know you won’t hit them.

2500 hd 05-02-2019 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones (Post 1599333924)
I know how you feel neighbor. It's a real shame that some were never taught to respect other's people's property. I go ballistic even when I see someone bang their door against someone else's car. I know some here will say, "it's just a car", however it's just common decency to at least try not to damage someone else's property that they have worked hard for in most cases.

Exactly....

4thC4at60 05-02-2019 10:02 PM

Sorry bubba..... looks as if your car owns you, rather than the other way around.

It's a car...... $2 million or $19,000 - at the end of the day it's a car.

I got over the "OMG" stage of cars at 24 when I owned my first Porsche - that was 54 years ago - I'll be 78 in September.

Once you accept that it's just a car you can start to truly enjoy it.... I've got 800K miles in Corvettes, 300K miles in Porsches, and 40K miles in a Ferrari - there are LOTS of other cars in between.....

If you can't drive your car to ______________, park it in a motel parking lot for the night, the car owns you, not you it............. get door dings? When they get bad enough get the door resprayed.... ditto for rock chips on the front....

I can drive my Ferrari - or the Vette - to Lowe's or Walmart or to XYZ hotel.... or ABC restaurant... and not sweat it.... it's a car? Get it? It's a car.......

And, no, I'm not some dumbs...t with lots of money. I've been a working stiff my whole life: retired US Navy Chief Petty Officer and former magazine editor....

To paraphrase myself: "No one on his death bead ever said I wish I hadn't parked the Lamborghini at the hotel in ________________." It's a car....

at7000ft 05-02-2019 10:05 PM

Agree

Vetteman Jack 05-02-2019 10:15 PM

Great advice by Slynky - taking smart precautions when parking greatly enhances your chances of not having anything bad happen to your car.

Avanti 05-02-2019 10:37 PM

Either park out in the boonies somewhere (like I do) or get a different vehicle, preferably a beater. No one else is going to care about your car, no matter what it is. :yesnod:

And, I must say that most of the Vette owners I see could do with a little extra walking each time they park. :lol: :thumbs: