CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   DRM bilstein suitable for hpde/trackday? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/4270010-drm-bilstein-suitable-for-hpde-trackday.html)

andersnor 05-03-2019 01:11 PM

DRM bilstein suitable for hpde/trackday?

Recently bought a stock (heads fixed) z06 08, allready bought AP racing on all corners, and 18x11 front 18x13 wheels for it.

The car is 11 years, and usually this means the suspension is tue for a overhaul when track duty is subject.

I dont wanna turn it into a fullblown racecar, it will be driven to and from the nürburgring, my last car was so stiff (KW competition, and uniball/delrin everywhere)I had to trailer it to survice, which again also ment it was awesome at spa-francorchamos and nürburgring GP-strecke, but at the nordschleife it was pretty much useless, and so scary to drive I was slower than before the suspension tuning.

Main use is nürburgring for HPDE/trackdays.

Soooo are the DRM bilsteins a good option or should I look into other stuff as well? I don't feel like adjustable suspension as I tend to use a lot of time adjusting on trackdays... more so than driving. Could of course just get new stock units, but getting a tad more performance is always nice. Not expecting a silky 2019 porsche/bmw.

Budwise 05-03-2019 01:13 PM

They are an excellent choice.

moose.b3 05-03-2019 01:38 PM

Absolutely, much better than the stock shocks.

andersnor 05-03-2019 01:50 PM

Asked around with some others as well, everyone seems to like them, so put in an order.

Anything else that might need a "refresh"? the car is in very good shape, but rubber and other stuff ages.

Racingswh 05-03-2019 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by andersnor (Post 1599337729)
Asked around with some others as well, everyone seems to like them, so put in an order.

Anything else that might need a "refresh"? the car is in very good shape, but rubber and other stuff ages.

I noticed the biggest change to mine when I replaced the control arm bushings. I suggest mono balls from Mark at AMT or Delrin from Phoenix. For me I added the delrin a few years ago when Phoenix Performance set up my car and the change was a transformation from a car that was a bit unpredictable to a car that felt exceptionally planted.

Mark@AMT Motorsport 05-05-2019 06:08 AM

I'm a big fan of the DRM Bilsteins. Great shock for the money. Slap em'' on there and send it!

andersnor 05-29-2019 05:57 AM

God the goodies, and delrin shock bushes, now I just gotto pay AMT some $$ and get more bits ;)

I can feel my stock rear suspension/control arms move to much under hard accel for sure.

Guys at DRM has been super helpful and nice to deal with.

STANG KILLA SS 05-29-2019 10:10 AM

I recently switched to them from stock z06 shocks. was just the right price range for me. i wasnt ready for $3000+ shocks or coilovers.

im not gonna lie i noticed no difference. im not saying there not better im sure they are. and im sure there doing some good. im just saying i cant tell any difference. i could swap shocks back and forth in a blind test and no way would i be able to tell which was which.
i only track my car. hardly ever sees the street.
but with that being said im happy with the purchase still. peace of mind more than anything.

andersnor 05-29-2019 10:17 AM

For me it was more a refresh thing, with a slight upgrade since they have good feedback, my car is a 2008 model, so its 11 years old... and shocks are a consumable.

I could do the 3-4k shocks but tuning them..Im so tired of adjusting shocks on track, 0 adjustment.. 0 time spent on this, just have to deal with whatever I got ;)

I will use the car on the nürburgring, and the track favours a softer setup anyway, all other trackdays is a compromise. Will also drive to/from track.

I did drive my previous dedicated racecar on the ring, with the setup for flat tracks like GP-strecke/ spa francorchamps.... it was extremly scary, the not perfectly flat asphalt would send me flying everywhere suddenly and I just lacked suspension travel as it was sprung to high and setup too aggresive. (KW competition).