CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Paint/Body (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/paint-body-138/)
-   -   CRM match (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/paint-body/4270036-crm-match.html)

ls1121 05-03-2019 02:50 PM

CRM match

So my 2008 CRM got hit and they replaced the rear bumper cover. While they were going to paint the rear cover anyway I asked the ti repaint the front bumper cover and hood. I looked at the car yesterday and what they painted was dark. I do not want to be over critical but exactly how close should the color match? I don't want to be a dick but I also don't want to drive a Clown car. Thanx.

ls1121 05-05-2019 09:14 AM

wow no paint guys here? 104 hits and nothing.

I'm going back tomorrow, they said they blend it in. I'm going to ask to see the can the paint came out of to make sure they did not use paint for a 2007 Monterey Red Metallic Tintcoat instead of CRM for my 2008.

derekd8915 05-05-2019 03:03 PM

2019 and no pics?

ls1121 05-05-2019 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by derekd8915 (Post 1599347634)
2019 and no pics?

well if I don't have the car how am I supposed to have pic's?

derekd8915 05-05-2019 06:37 PM

Maybe take some when you went to look at the car?

DUB 05-06-2019 08:41 AM

First off....bumper covers are painted differently than the rest of the car due to the elastrometric/flex additive that is added to the paint to keep it flexible....so...in some cases the color can be a bit off DEPENDING on the painter....and the clear being used due it NOT ALL clears are actually perfectly clear and can have a slight yellow tint to it....and....on some colors....this can darken the color.....especially when a lot of clear is shot over the color that may be a perfect match

Also...'butt' matching a color is really hard to do and DOES TAKE tinting of the color to get it to match adn numerous test panels to be shot to verify the color match.

When cars are shot...there is no way that a color being used and shot in different assembly plants is prefect to each of the other assembly plants.....and even if the color is ONLY used for specific car....such as a Corvette....there is no guarantee that the color what was shot in a batch of 50 cars ....will 100% match the next series of cars being shot that color a month or to later. This is why we have 'variants' in the paint industry.

"Blending' into the adjacent panel is usually what is done to make sure the color matches.

The thread below may be of some interest to you and you can start as POST #48 if you care so see about the issues with paint matching. Also...it does not matter if the car is brand new or older.....the same tinting issues can still apply due to the 'variants ' in paint colors as previously mentioned.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ts-inside.html

DUB

csherman 05-06-2019 02:02 PM

Bumper typically do not match as DUB stated
PPG went so far as to put out a statement that plastic bumper cover do not match.
I dont suggest blending from covers to sheetmetal for this reason
I would rather pay a tech to tint the color as close as possible on bumper covers
If the color is off on your car it shouldnt
but it is very easy to see color differences on panels that are adjacent to one another

ls1121 05-09-2019 07:01 PM

Well yesterday I stopped by to see what was going on and 2 guts were wet sanding. They re-painted something or to that effect. they said I would have the car today, so I called and asked if I should just pick up the car tomorrow, he said that would better, give them a little more time to buff it out? While they were wet sanding the color did look better. They wouldn't try to charge more because they had to re-do the paint would they? This is my first time doing anything like this so it is all new to me.

DUB 05-10-2019 09:24 AM

It is hard to say if they will charge you more for it or not due to not knowing what was discussed before it was painted.

Also not knowing IF this is an insurance claim and the insurance company is not paying for spray out test panels or tinting the color. Generally the insurance company is not going to allow for blending into the adjacent panels UNLESS the shop requests this added labor function. The reason the insurance company is not going to pay for blending paint into undamaged adjacent panels is that they KNOW the bumpers never perfectly matched from the factory. And IF the insurance company is not going to pay for it...then it is what it is and if the color is off. It is what it is. Because like previously stated...bumper covers generally do not match perfectly to the rest of the car due to being painted on a separate paint line due to the process they go under for painting which is NOT the same as the rest of the body panels.

Tinting a color and shooting test panels and clearcoating them can take hours to get the color adjusted....and can actually take MORE time that the time it takes to actually part the part. reason I know this is because I do it.

And using the camera that can take snap shot of the color and find a color mix is used for blending paint jobs out when spraying and not butt matching a color......so the camera is somewhat useless in this scenario also and a crap shoot if the color matches perfectly or not...and still requires test panels being shot to check it.

So if the paint is to your liking and it costs you more.....why argue with it and at least you are getting your car back to where you are happy with it and thinking that us painters have the ability to make every paint job match just by spraying it once is an incorrect way of thinking....ESPECIALLY when butt matching the color to the existing body panels. Getting them to match perfectly ( or as close to it as possible) takes time...shooting test panels.....thus more money.

DUB

ls1121 05-10-2019 10:24 PM

Hmmmmm...yea, He did some painting on my Camaro Z28 1998 20 year old car and the match was perfect sooo. I asked him if he could do the job and make it match and he said Yes. So I gave him my Corvette to repair. When I went to pick it up the first time it was really dark and I had to tell him I didn't like it without hurting his feelings, and I did. He said that he would fix it until I was Happy with it. Well, I picked up the car today, it was a little cloudy outside so the lighting was not so good to judge but I gotta tell you right now the car is in my garage and the match looks GREAT! His bill was $260 less than the check I got from the Insurance company, he wrote me a check for that amount and I went right to the bank and cashed it. I then returned the the shop and gave him $100 and told him to tip the guys that did the work. He told me that if there is anything that I did not like ti just bring it back and he will fix it.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbs:

You being in the business, do customers usually tip the workers? I wasn't sure if it was proper and then how much but I gave it a shot.

DUB 05-11-2019 09:00 AM

Yes I get extra funds from customers from time to time. I do not expect it...but I do greatly appreciate it when it happens due to 99.999% of the time...I have more time in the job than I am billing for.

Glad to read that you are satisfied with it..

DUB

ls1121 05-17-2019 03:06 PM

DUB thank you sooooo much for the comprehensive explanation of the process. I still think the car looks great. Do paint jobs come with any type of warranty?

DUB 05-18-2019 08:01 AM

Yes they do and that generally depends on the shop and the extent of the warranty on their workmanship and products they use. You need to call them and ask them what they warranty against.

Some variables can come into play with this such as....neglect of paint maintenance, covering the car in a cover or plastic outside. Having chemicals or liquids get on the paint and allow them to sit on the paint causing staining or other problems....which is obviously not due to the product failing or the shops workmanship. Applying coating on top of the paint that was not approved before it was applied due to some products are not good to be applied on paint while it is still curing out due to they can seal it up and not allow the paint to properly cure out..

Obviously chips, scratches and such are not covered due to they were done by outside influences and not a product failure or having anything to do with the shops workmanship. Or at least I do not warranty paint chips, scratches or any top surface imperfection that was caused by an outside influence...such as bird droppings, bug guts, road marking paint, etc that have baked on the paint for days. due to there is no paint that is chip resistant or scratch proof.....as of yet.

So with your paint job being FRESH....it is wise to keep an eye on it and if anything is done to it....do it when it is in the SHADE and the paint is cool and not HOT or in direct sunlight. This DOES include washing it. IF you have no place to wash it in a shaded area...then cooling the paint off VERY WELL with water BEFORE you wash it ....and while washing it.... keep water flowing on it from time to time so it does not spot or the soap allowed to dry and them dry it off with one of those ABSORBERS you can get from an auto parts store that absorb water unless you just like to use beach towels.

Factory paint from the manufacturer is a different type of paint than what we use in the industry....and the factory baking process is quite different also. So even if your paint was force dried using a bake cycle...it still needs to cure out further and that all depends on how much paint was put on it and the flash times that specific painter gave each coat and how much paint was applied during that painting process. So there are variables. And with your car being painted again in areas...now you basically have two fresh paint jobs on the car so now it is basically twice as thick. Once again...that depends on how they painted it.

DUB