CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous-86/)
-   -   IW 8 rib balancer install (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-forced-induction-nitrous/4270326-iw-8-rib-balancer-install.html)

ascastil 05-04-2019 12:56 PM

IW 8 rib balancer install

Want to make sure I do everything right this time to fix a leaking timing cover. I have the tool to install my balancer. I've searched and there doesnt seem to be any real measurement for IW balancer on the crank. I read in a C6 thread a good way to know if its seated properly is with a laser alignment tool. So with that, I'm guessing to put on all accessories and blower, and make sure its lined up. My concern is can I have all the accessories on and have my rack not bolted up but just out of the way to make any adjustments with my tool if necessary? Wondering if theres room or do I have to take everything back apart to put the rack in after the balancer is bolted on.

neutron82 05-04-2019 05:42 PM

you will know when it's seated, it should go on fairly easy with the tool and when it's seated you will feel a lot of resistance... that should be all it takes but you can verify alignment with the laser... did you remove all the accessories off the front of the motor?... if not and you know the alignment was good beforehand then you can use anything as a reference to the balancer

ascastil 05-04-2019 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by neutron82 (Post 1599343753)
you will know when it's seated, it should go on fairly easy with the tool and when it's seated you will feel a lot of resistance... that should be all it takes but you can verify alignment with the laser... did you remove all the accessories off the front of the motor?... if not and you know the alignment was good beforehand then you can use anything as a reference to the balancer

Yes the whole front of motor is apart. Not really sure how good the alignment was with the new balancer, but I didnt seem to have problems with an OEM replacement previously. Also putting in new motor mounts. I really have to get it right this time. I want everything perfect.

ascastil 05-05-2019 05:07 PM

Quickly, anybody lol. Pulling my IW balancer. Can I pull the balancer off with the pin kit pieces still inside? My brain is telling me they won't be pulling opposite directions. Help asap, thanks guys!

neutron82 05-05-2019 05:48 PM

you will be fine just pull the sucker off lol... the pins and spacers or whatever else you have in there will come out when the balancer is off

ascastil 05-07-2019 12:23 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d3f9d68610.jpg
Top 2 pins are broken off. Doesnt appear to be any damage to crank or balancer.

ascastil 05-07-2019 11:45 PM

Is it possible the pin kit moved forward, and sheared the pins in half? There is a space between the pin kit and crank bolt. IW said it was normal and the balancer trying to spin on the crank will sorta lock it in place. Also, the pins are broke off in the crank, I started to drill them out but it didn't look like it was going to go smoothly. I have room for 2 more pins that I can drill in another spot, is that enough, 2 pins?

ascastil 05-13-2019 09:55 PM

Well I got it on. Took my time with the timing cover using the Sac City alignment tool. This time I did something different to make sure the balancer was on all the way. I measured the end of crank to the oil pump and also the inside length of the balancer. I have looked before and couldn't find these so I'll post what I came up with.
Pump to end of crank I came up with 1 9/32
Inside of IW 8 rib I came up with 2 1/4
So it should be .969 inches exposed on the inside front of balancer from crank. I was within a 1/64 of an inch, maybe less so I know its seated. Again, these are the closest I could get at measuring everything. It was more of a tool to know when I felt the balancer stop, I really knew it was on all the way.