CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Drone mat (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4270706-drone-mat.html)

Hawkeye56 05-05-2019 03:35 PM

Drone mat

Does anyone have any experience with the block it mat
for the C4 series? I am running a Corsa exhaust now and the drone is cut way back. If the mat really makes a difference it would be worth it in my opinion.

Thanks

Hawkeye56

cv67 05-05-2019 05:02 PM

Does something but at what cost & weight gain (if that matters)

Hawkeye56 05-05-2019 05:21 PM

I guess the question is how much does it cut out the sound .
Thanks Hawkeye56

RIC96 05-05-2019 05:31 PM

I put a set in hoping to decrease road noise but it didn't help much, if any,

Hawkeye56 05-05-2019 06:29 PM

I was afraid of that, Let’s hope more will check in good or bad.
Thanks
Hawkeye56

RetroGuy 05-05-2019 09:11 PM

I have some cabin drone from a pair of Magnaflow mufflers. I swear it's due to the design of the rear window hatch / cargo area enhancing the sound like a mini Hollywood Bowl amphitheater. I haven't used sound deadening material, since there's about a 50/50 forum consensus on its effectiveness. Some say it works wonders, others not.

Hawkeye56 05-05-2019 09:21 PM

Yes I agree with you on the sounds bouncing from the glass window. I still hope more will give a review.
Thanks
Hawkeye56

Patsgarage 05-05-2019 11:02 PM

Not in a C4, but I lined the floor of my 65 LeMans convertible with heavy duty rubber matting, that cut down the drone way down. That car had headers straight into chambered pipes, so it really droned on the highway.

ColaBear 05-06-2019 09:16 AM

You can check this product out. I think several forum member are using this product to reduce noise in their C4's

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...m-special.html

car addict 05-06-2019 09:50 PM

I have the BLOCKIT kit referenced by ColaBear in my 96 Coupe. It makes a difference. It is nothing you couldn't cook up yourself, I think, but a lot of times I'd rather just buy something all ready to go. It took me some getting used to it. My initial impression was that it quieted the car too much. Now I don't give it a thought.

Hawkeye56 05-06-2019 10:11 PM

Did your car have very much of a drone before you installed the mat?
Thanks
Hawkeye56

car addict 05-06-2019 10:16 PM

No. Not at all. I have a good exhaust system that doesn't irritate. I had been doing a lot of highway driving - many approx 400 miles one-way trips. I was interested in reducing road noise and cabin heat, and the kit actually improved both from my perspective.

RetroGuy 05-07-2019 09:48 AM

"A sound deadening material that quiets the exterior noise / exhaust drone too much?" REALLY... :confused2:

car addict 05-07-2019 10:10 AM

I posted a reply that, for some reason, didn't show up. So apologies in advance if this becomes a double post. Here is original:

Sure it's confusing. Sounds stupid, I know. My first blush reaction was that it quieted my exhaust note more than I wanted. I'm hard to please. The mats remain in place FWIW, and I've no thought of removing them.

Adding this: My purpose in buying was NOT to quiet exhaust.

TKO Performance 05-07-2019 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye56 (Post 1599347765)
Does anyone have any experience with the block it mat
for the C4 series? I am running a Corsa exhaust now and the drone is cut way back. If the mat really makes a difference it would be worth it in my opinion.

Thanks

Hawkeye56

Drone is tough to tame. Even some "peel n glue" products won't completely get rid of it. The blockit Mats will absolutely help.
We designed the product when we installed headers to loud mouths in our C6! It was unbearable. So rather then rip up the interior we wanted to create a product that would be quick and easy to install. It helps take the edge off.

If you want to see some comments on the product, check out this thread C4 Blockit
Its too long to post them here. Inside of those replies are C4 members. Good luck with what ever you choose! :cheers:

Originally Posted by car addict (Post 1599355320)
I have the BLOCKIT kit referenced by ColaBear in my 96 Coupe. It makes a difference. It is nothing you couldn't cook up yourself, I think, but a lot of times I'd rather just buy something all ready to go. It took me some getting used to it. My initial impression was that it quieted the car too much. Now I don't give it a thought.

Glad to hear you like the product and the different it made!
The manufacturing is a bit more involved then just a few layers of materials put together. All the layers are held together by a unique infused processed which requires no glue, so there's no chance of separation plus theres no toxic glue smell. We use all automotive grade foam whitch is FMVSS-302 Tested & approved! All the materials including the barrier is made in the USA.
:cheers:

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette (Post 1599348120)
Does something but at what cost & weight gain (if that matters)

The Blockit is not glued down so your not adding permanent weight to your car. The multi-layered mats lay over your factory carpet. Takes about 60 seconds to install.

If your at a race event and weight maters, take them out. Reinstall for the trip home.

Thanks!

rblakeney 05-07-2019 06:34 PM

I have the Block It and to me it clearly attenuates road noise -- not so much exhaust sounds to my ears. I am pleased with it and really should take some decibel readings to confirm my perceptions. Might do it and post here.

Recently had window tint put on and dang if I don't think it made the car quieter too. I remember reading that a one millimeter difference in glass thickness can make a huge difference.

Hawkeye56 05-07-2019 10:55 PM

Well with all of the replies I believe that I will be ordering a sound mat. If it helps with road noise I will be very happy. Thanks to all who replied as each response helped in the final decision.
Thanks
Hawkeye56