CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   Noise comming from the back, possibly a bearing? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/4271623-noise-comming-from-the-back-possibly-a-bearing.html)

mn_vette 05-07-2019 08:11 PM

Noise comming from the back, possibly a bearing?

I recently purchases a 2012 base auto Corvette. The dealer gave me a "free" 3,000 mile warranty that is almost up. There has been a bunch of noise that has been coming from the back but I initially thought is was just tire road noise from the run flats. The other day I noticed that the noise changes when I start swerving left and right. I jacked up the car and the wheel bearings seem fine. Could it be something else back there? Or is it really just the tires? Or do I need to loosen up the half shafts to really test the bearings? I'm hoping to get this sorted out tonight before I blow past the 3,000 mile limit. Thanks guys.

SixAddict 05-07-2019 10:07 PM

Check end links of sway bar.
Axle nut loose?
These seem like what create a lot of ass end noise. Good luck.

irok 05-08-2019 10:55 AM

Take it to the dealer that is giving you the warranty and have them diagnose it and tell them you will pick up once repair is completed

torquetube 05-08-2019 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by mn_vette (Post 1599361379)
I recently purchases a 2012 base auto Corvette. The dealer gave me a "free" 3,000 mile warranty that is almost up. There has been a bunch of noise that has been coming from the back but I initially thought is was just tire road noise from the run flats. The other day I noticed that the noise changes when I start swerving left and right. I jacked up the car and the wheel bearings seem fine. Could it be something else back there? Or is it really just the tires? Or do I need to loosen up the half shafts to really test the bearings? I'm hoping to get this sorted out tonight before I blow past the 3,000 mile limit. Thanks guys.

You can have noisy wheel bearings that won't feel any different when spun by hand. Even with the wheels off. What does it sound like?

mn_vette 05-08-2019 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by irok (Post 1599364429)
Take it to the dealer that is giving you the warranty and have them diagnose it and tell them you will pick up once repair is completed

The dealer is about 1,000 mile away. But I like the idea. I'll call the warranty company tomorrow and see where the nearest service center is at.

It really does sound like a wheel bearing. Humming that seems to get louder with speed. Swerving makes the noise change. It sounds like it is coming from the back.

Jbeautexas 05-10-2019 10:13 PM

Check your motor mounts.

mn_vette 05-11-2019 05:16 PM

So the plot thickens........I took the car into a chevy dealership to have it diagnosed. They wanted $50 upfront for their effort. The warranty company should cover that. So the results were......wheel bearings are fine. They said the noise is coming from then differential. Now they want more money to open the differential and diagnose exactly what is making the noise. I referred them back to the warranty company for authorization. The warranty company said my policy wasn't activated yet. After some digging I find out that the dealership that I bought the car from about a month ago hasn't bothered to send in the payment to the warranty company yet. So they are now over-nighting the payment. And I will get to pick all this back up Monday or Tuesday. I guess if it really is a problem in the differential then maybe all this hassle will be worth it.

SixAddict 05-11-2019 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by mn_vette (Post 1599384704)
So the plot thickens........I took the car into a chevy dealership to have it diagnosed. They wanted $50 upfront for their effort. The warranty company should cover that. So the results were......wheel bearings are fine. They said the noise is coming from then differential. Now they want more money to open the differential and diagnose exactly what is making the noise. I referred them back to the warranty company for authorization. The warranty company said my policy wasn't activated yet. After some digging I find out that the dealership that I bought the car from about a month ago hasn't bothered to send in the payment to the warranty company yet. So they are now over-nighting the payment. And I will get to pick all this back up Monday or Tuesday. I guess if it really is a problem in the differential then maybe all this hassle will be worth it.

Man, that sucks. You should tell the dealer to throw in gift card for accessories or something for your trouble and their lack of completing paper work.....good luck. Hope it works out for you next week.

Dutch08 05-12-2019 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by mn_vette (Post 1599384704)

If I didn't have the warranty, which you do. I'd just change the fluid to AC/Delco LS 75W90 and give that a try. I sounds like chattering to me since you said, " The other day I noticed that the noise changes when I start swerving left and right. "

K-Spaz 05-12-2019 12:04 PM

Never sent the check in for your warranty huh? Aw shucks, I guess we forgot that.

:rofl:

Jbeautexas 05-12-2019 09:05 PM

Whats your location?

irok 05-13-2019 09:31 AM

I would be concerned about whether the warranty company will ever pay for the issue you are having.The issue occured before any warranty was payed so you have no warranty!!!Has the selling dealer agreed to pay because they didn't get payment in on time?Warranty companies don't back date these things for your convenience.Usually they will look for any reason to get out of paying a claim

K-Spaz 05-13-2019 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by irok (Post 1599393018)
I would be concerned about whether the warranty company will ever pay for the issue you are having.The issue occured before any warranty was payed so you have no warranty!!!Has the selling dealer agreed to pay because they didn't get payment in on time?Warranty companies don't back date these things for your convenience.Usually they will look for any reason to get out of paying a claim

Yep, that's what I'm thinking. The dealer is pulling some shady shenanigans selling a warranty they never fulfill with payment. I'd be very surprised if the warranty company laughs that off and just pays a claim. Especially a substantial one.

mn_vette 05-13-2019 02:57 PM

Well, the paperwork I had states the date and mileage of the car at the time of the purchase. And when I called in the warranty company had all my info on file. So I think I'm ok from that aspect. There must be some kind of electronic data transfer from the dealer at the time of the sale. It would not surprise me if there was something shady going on. The company has received something from the dealer according to the FedEx tracking number that I requested from the dealer. I just called and the payment hasn't been processed yet. I'll keep calling them every few hours tomorrow.

Jbeautexas, I'm located in Michigan.

SteveDoten 05-15-2019 03:57 PM

Hubs are $130-40 a corner and 30 minutes to replace.

im going 90% it’s a hub issue if sound changes when turning above 30mph.

a diff is $400 used and a 2 hour swap.

if you were local I’d help with the hubs as they are just so simple.

mn_vette 05-17-2019 09:46 AM

So the next saga. I finally get the warranty company to get the paperwork processed, now they will talk to the dealership. I am then told I need to agree to pay the tear down fee that should be covered if a problem is found in the differential. At this point ok fine what's a few hundred bucks. Then the dealer drops a $1,500 tear down fee on me. That stops me pretty quick. I'm not sure why the dealership didn't bother telling me this cost last week. So I decided to get a second opinion from another shop before I even think about covering that. So I dropped it off yesterday afternoon. I get a call this morning and the diagnosis is tire noise. They think the alignment is bad causing some bad wear on the tires. They also tried to get me to do a bunch of service stuff, but I told them I'm not doing anything until I get the noise figured out. I'm getting them to swap the two rear tires left to right and see if the noise changes. I also agreed to a $90 4 wheel alignment. So hopefully the sound changes and that will give me a bit of peace of mind to start driving the car again. If there is no change I'm not sure what comes next.

SixAddict 05-17-2019 10:05 AM

Good on you for getting second opinion, never trust the stealership. Good luck.

irok 05-17-2019 10:41 AM

If possible I would borrow a known good set of rims and tires from a friend and try them to see if there is a difference in sound.Simple check.I've got 4 sets of rims, tires and would let you try a set but we are a little distance apart

mn_vette 05-18-2019 07:54 PM

Picked up the car last night and the noise hasn't changed. I think I'm done trying to have the warranty company try to fix anything. I basically lost a week of driving and a bunch of time trying to get these things tracked down. I'm going to keep driving it and see if the noise gets worse. Maybe throw in a wheel bearing or change the diff fluid in if the noise is bothering me too much. At least I know who not to take my car to in the future.

SixAddict 05-18-2019 10:41 PM

Good luck and keep us posted.:cheers: