CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Believe I am first person to break a ring land on and LT4 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4272242-believe-i-am-first-person-to-break-a-ring-land-on-and-lt4.html)

chevyfanatic 05-09-2019 10:19 AM

Believe I am first person to break a ring land on and LT4

So i was at a 1/2 mile event in Coalinga and basically my race sponsor took the car out and didn't realize probably the meth was low and next time I checked I had the windshield washer light come on which tells me my meth was super low. Also I had been driving with less than a 1/4 tank of gas thinking that that was safe. another fck up.

probably at that point I cracked my ring land and then later on when we checked it out we had a broken ring land.😪😥

fyi - scks but low meth and heat can be deadly !

us3rname 05-09-2019 10:50 AM

Sorry to hear this happened to you man! I've got the prometh tank with low level sensor and it will throw a low fluid light when it starts getting below half way low at which point I top it off. Plans for a build? Also, what sorta mph were you seeing?

chevyfanatic 05-10-2019 01:25 AM

not that good since was only running shtty 91 and meth and thanks. Was in 2nd place trapping around 160mph but with E would have been higher.

Ofc but no choice. Do i replace the broken pistons or do a SHORT BLOCK which will be double. prob 4k vs 10k but then its all new on the bottom with forged callies crank and better forged pistons, and forged con rods etc.

Not looking for more HP but mainly reliability.

spinkick 05-10-2019 02:35 AM

Does driving with less than a quarter tank drop fuel delivery? I'm picking up a supercharged lt1 with Maggy tomorrow and my ring lands are not set up like yours for boost.. So any knowledge to protect them, the better.

Toddiesel 05-10-2019 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by chevyfanatic (Post 1599370543)
So i was at a 1/2 mile event in Coalinga and basically my race sponsor took the car out and didn't realize probably the meth was low and next time I checked I had the windshield washer light come on which tells me my meth was super low. Also I had been driving with less than a 1/4 tank of gas thinking that that was safe. another fck up.

probably at that point I cracked my ring land and then later on when we checked it out we had a broken ring land.����

fyi - scks but low meth and heat can be deadly !

Recently, I was at a 1/2 mile race event in Coalinga. My race sponsor took the car out and most likely didn't realize the meth was low. The next time I was driving my car, the windshield washer fluid light came on, which indicated the meth was low. I had also been driving with less than 1/4 of a tank of gas, which is not safe. I believe those two factors contributed to a broken ring land, which was discovered upon inspection. Lesson learned: low methanol and heat can be catastrophic!

There. I just had to fix the syntax in that post before my eyes bled and I had an aneurysm. It's a casual forum, but let's not destroy the English language, folks!

us3rname 05-10-2019 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by chevyfanatic (Post 1599375998)
not that good since was only running shtty 91 and meth and thanks. Was in 2nd place trapping around 160mph but with E would have been higher.

Ofc but no choice. Do i replace the broken pistons or do a SHORT BLOCK which will be double. prob 4k vs 10k but then its all new on the bottom with forged callies crank and better forged pistons, and forged con rods etc.

Not looking for more HP but mainly reliability.

I think I spec'd out an lt1 block on texas speed and it was in the ball park 8k with callies rotating and diamond pistons. I've been thinking about getting into some 1/2 mile stuff but have yet to data log that long of a pull. Either way man I hope you get it back up soon.

01lowbird 05-10-2019 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by spinkick (Post 1599376064)
Does driving with less than a quarter tank drop fuel delivery? I'm picking up a supercharged lt1 with Maggy tomorrow and my ring lands are not set up like yours for boost.. So any knowledge to protect them, the better.

Uhh... they're fine. I'm sure they probably need a wider gap but you're not going to pull the engine apart to regap rings, or atleast I wouldn't.

383vett 05-10-2019 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Toddiesel (Post 1599376306)
Recently, I was at a 1/2 mile race event in Coalinga. My race sponsor took the car out and most likely didn't realize the meth was low. The next time I was driving my car, the windshield washer fluid light came on, which indicated the meth was low. I had also been driving with less than 1/4 of a tank of gas, which is not safe. I believe those two factors contributed to a broken ring land, which was discovered upon inspection. Lesson learned: low methanol and heat can be catastrophic!

There. I just had to fix the syntax in that post before my eyes bled and I had an aneurysm. It's a casual forum, but let's not destroy the English language, folks! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

You are treading in dangerous waters here, but :iagree:

GeorgeR_Zed06 05-11-2019 01:51 PM

Best thing to do to keep things cool, is to use water injection.

GotMoJo 05-13-2019 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeR_Zed06 (Post 1599383918)
Best thing to do to keep things cool, is to use water injection.

That's what the old KC135 tankers did back in the day. Water injection gave them the added boost to take off on short runways when heavily loaded with fuel. I'm not sure if the correlation is the same.

GeorgeR_Zed06 05-16-2019 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by GotMoJo (Post 1599397659)
That's what the old KC135 tankers did back in the day. Water injection gave them the added boost to take off on short runways when heavily loaded with fuel. I'm not sure if the correlation is the same.

It is, my buddy ran it on several of his cars including his last turbo mustang that ran 4.70's in the 1/8 mile. His stuff always stayed together. Most people shoot for water/meth for more power, but if they are complaining about heat, nothing beats water-injection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_injection_(engine)

spinkick 05-16-2019 12:32 PM

Look into boost juice. Half meth and half water. Much safer than pure meth

23/C8Z 05-16-2019 06:29 PM

2 cans of race gas to every tank. Same as running ms109

Costs About 40 bucks add to the full tank.

F meth. For that reason mixed fuel there no chance of failure like that especially if someone is not on the ball like your sponsor.

Good luck on the build sorry to hear that.

GeorgeR_Zed06 05-20-2019 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z (Post 1599414673)
2 cans of race gas to every tank. Same as running ms109

Costs About 40 bucks add to the full tank.

F meth. For that reason mixed fuel there no chance of failure like that especially if someone is not on the ball like your sponsor.

Good luck on the build sorry to hear that.

Which race fuel cans are you referring to?

23/C8Z 05-21-2019 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeR_Zed06 (Post 1599431823)
Which race fuel cans are you referring to?

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...854889b178.jpg
Rsce gas..
the cans are 32oz iirc

GeorgeR_Zed06 05-21-2019 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z (Post 1599437803)

Thanks. Is this stuff already proven and made safe for our cars without fouling plugs and damaging 02 sensors?