CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   Went to drag strip last night - finally 9 sec time slip! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4272435-went-to-drag-strip-last-night-finally-9-sec-time-slip.html)

632C2 05-09-2019 05:45 PM

Went to drag strip last night - finally 9 sec time slip!

Last night I headed out to Pacific Raceways for the first time in 2019. I made 4 runs with a best of 9.855 at 143.95 mph! The first run off the trailer was 9.924 @ 143.72 mph. This surpassed my previous best in August 2018 of 10.08 at 140.18 mph.

The car is a 1967 coupe. My current stock appearing combination is a naturally aspirated 582" BBC with a factory tri-power intake and factory exhaust manifolds that are connected to a full length exhaust system. I have outlined this setup many times in the past. My goal is to have an engine compartment that looks just like it did back in 1967 when the car sat on the showroom floor of a Chevrolet dealership. I have duplicated everything down to the correct colors, bolts, brackets, wiring, etc. I actually drive the car on the street whenever I have a chance.

The transmission is a clutch turbo setup using a Winters kit that is attached to a modified Turbo 400. A ratchet shifter with the factory shifter handle, ball, and "T" is used. Looking in the interior everything is stock and original.

The differential is a Tom's 1480 system with the 3-1/2" half shafts and 3.73 gears, 1969 and later camber rod bracket, Viking double adjustable shocks, and a traction bar. Mike Dyer is responsible for the differential machining and setup as well as his wealth of setup info. Because of the stock appearing theme of this car, I elected to fabricate my own set of offset trailing arms that start with the factory ones. I followed the drawings and pics in the old Chevy Power manual to allow a 15 x 8 wheel with a 6.5" backspacing to be used. Per Mike's advice Global West's SP-3 kit were installed in the trailing arms which eliminated the wheel hop issues I was dealing with.

The bottom line is I still haven't figured out how to properly launch this car as can be seen by the 1.6x 60 foot times. The DA last night was 1331 feet when that run was made. Two of the NHRA Stock racers said their mph was down by 2 mph due to the heat. They normally run 122-123 mph and were at 120 mph.

All 4 of my runs were over 140 mph and after the 4th run when I was coming down the return road the head tech at Pacific Raceways flagged me over to the side. He informed me that since I was now in the 9's at over 140 mph I can't come back to race until I have all the safety equipment required as well as the documentation to secure a competition license. Oh well, it's all about safety so I will work on getting it all done.

All in all a really fun evening at the track.

Steve

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cce0a3979d.jpg

76strokervette 05-09-2019 06:06 PM

Excellent job!:woohoo:

cv67 05-09-2019 06:57 PM

damn that is moving!! GM intake ? Musta buthcered it .If not send it to me!

BKarol 05-09-2019 07:10 PM

:thumbs:

suprspooky 05-09-2019 07:15 PM

Awesome numbers, I'm no expert but 1.60 isn't bad with a clutch (did you break the tires loose at any shift, assuming the clutch-turbo is auto shifting after launch, I don't know much about inner workings).

Curious what are rear tires are you running and also what is the SP-3 kit (couldn't find on Global website).

I ask because I'll be taking my first runs since I upgraded to 460 (481rwhp, also with tri-power) in the next month, I have the original Muncie in my 68 and am thinking about future upgrades. I'm hoping to get into the 11's and not break anything.

632C2 05-09-2019 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette (Post 1599374198)
damn that is moving!! GM intake ? Musta buthcered it .If not send it to me!

Hey thanks! Externally the intake manifold is untouched and is all original. Internally, well that's another story. Sorry, this one is mine.:rofl:

632C2 05-09-2019 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by suprspooky (Post 1599374328)
Awesome numbers, I'm no expert but 1.60 isn't bad with a clutch (did you break the tires loose at any shift, assuming the clutch-turbo is auto shifting after launch, I don't know much about inner workings).

Curious what are rear tires are you running and also what is the SP-3 kit (couldn't find on Global website).

I ask because I'll be taking my first runs since I upgraded to 460 (481rwhp, also with tri-power) in the next month, I have the original Muncie in my 68 and am thinking about future upgrades. I'm hoping to get into the 11's and not break anything.

Yes, 1.6x is TERRIBLE with a clutch! If have a RMVB in my trans so I have to shift it. Yes it does break the tires loose at the shift.

The tires are Mickey Thompson ET Street R drag radials 275/60x15. SP-3 is a special "solid" spherical type bearing assembly. You have to call Global West and ask for Doug.

Good luck on taking your car to the strip! It should be a blast!

C3 4ME 05-09-2019 07:45 PM

Is there a place we can go to see detailed pics of your car? I'd love to check out how stock it looks. I absolutely love the idea of a stock appearing car running 9's! That's a helluva accomplishment!

suprspooky 05-09-2019 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 632C2 (Post 1599374565)
Yes, 1.6x is TERRIBLE with a clutch! If have a RMVB in my trans so I have to shift it. Yes it does break the tires loose at the shift.

The tires are Mickey Thompson ET Street R drag radials 275/60x15. SP-3 is a special "solid" spherical type bearing assembly. You have to call Global West and ask for Doug.

Good luck on taking your car to the strip! It should be a blast!

Thanks for the info, what is your launch rpm and method (trying to learn here, I did quick leg release and light slips but I had old hard tires with the original L-71 and 4.11's)

632C2 05-09-2019 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by C3 4ME (Post 1599374597)
Is there a place we can go to see detailed pics of your car? I'd love to check out how stock it looks. I absolutely love the idea of a stock appearing car running 9's! That's a helluva accomplishment!

Probably the easiest way is to do a search on all threads started by me. I believe I started this journey back in 2011 with my red '67 convertible. I then removed the motor from that car and put it in this blue '67 coupe.

I will post some more pics when I get a chance.

632C2 05-09-2019 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by suprspooky (Post 1599374677)
Thanks for the info, what is your launch rpm and method (trying to learn here, I did quick leg release and light slips but I had old hard tires with the original L-71 and 4.11's)

I've tried everything from slipping the clutch to dumping the clutch at a variety of different rpm's. I'm haven't been smart enough to figure out this combination but I will not give up until I do.

PainfullySlow 05-09-2019 08:33 PM

Congratulations on making it into the 9's! That's really moving!

69ttop502 05-09-2019 08:40 PM

Well that is awesome! Congrats on an unbelievably cool build that can deliver the goods too!

427Hotrod 05-10-2019 12:49 AM

CONGRATULATIONS STEVE! Single digit timeslips are cool!

That thing is scootin' once it gets moving! I guarantee that you had the coolest 9 sec car there for sure!

You guys are spoiled....73*….30+ Baro and 36% humidity? We get that about twice a year in TX!! LOL

Again...great job and thanks for showing folks a C2 CAN be fun to play with!

Great talking to you the other day!

JIM

632C2 05-10-2019 12:57 PM

Thanks Jim! Our weather is unusually hot for some reason. Oh wait, maybe it's climate change.:lol:

The car never does stop pulling "real hard". It's such a great feeling. Well, you know. But then again you are a couple of steps above me!

It was great talking the other day and I do appreciate your knowledge and advice.

BKbroiler 05-10-2019 01:15 PM

Congratulations. That is an AMAZING accomplishment.
On the subject of 60 ft times - I can't imagine how your time is so bad. I've run 1.69 with my car, same tires as you, with a 12.1 ET at 109. Aside from the major horsepower difference, the only other difference is I have a torque converter. Would you consider trying that option? You could probably take 5 tenths off your ET.

632C2 05-10-2019 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by BKbroiler (Post 1599378412)
Congratulations. That is an AMAZING accomplishment.
On the subject of 60 ft times - I can't imagine how your time is so bad. I've run 1.69 with my car, same tires as you, with a 12.1 ET at 109. Aside from the major horsepower difference, the only other difference is I have a torque converter. Would you consider trying that option? You could probably take 5 tenths off your ET.

What you are saying makes a lot of sense. However, I am not quite ready to give up on the clutch turbo just yet. In fact I just purchased another one so that I can have spare parts. Winters is no longer producing the parts to make the clutch turbo so I had to buy a complete unit - transmission and all. Thanks for your suggestion. I may end up going that way in the end.

rklessdriver 05-10-2019 05:07 PM

Congrats. Heck of a pass. I'm sure you will be able to get the 60 down further with more time to adjust on it.
Will

632C2 05-10-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by rklessdriver (Post 1599379898)
Congrats. Heck of a pass. I'm sure you will be able to get the 60 down further with more time to adjust on it.
Will

I'm sure going to keep after it! Thanks again for all your help with the shocks. Just think, one day I might actually know what I am doing out there! 🤣

itsforfun 05-10-2019 06:46 PM

Frame the slip and a photo of you and the car.... The Grandkids will L O V E IT.