CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Low oil light on 85 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4272436-low-oil-light-on-85-a.html)

85WHITEZ51 05-09-2019 05:47 PM

Low oil light on 85

I just finished up my miniram install and went to start the car and it was showing only 4-6PSI of oil pressure. Odd thing is that when I started the car temp a couple weeks back it showed normal. I redid some fuel lines that were leaking and adjusted the TPS and timing. Went to start and this happened. Car sounded fine and when I looked in the valve cover through the PCV valve hole I could see a flow of oil moving. I'm replacing the sensor but curious if anyone else has run into this that may be able to help. Only thing out of the norm that happened was I accidentally grounded the alternator wire with a wrench that caused a big spark. This couldn't have cause this could it?

VikingTrad3r 05-09-2019 09:31 PM

might want to check the pressure switch behind the dizzy and the driver head. also there is a port down by the coolant temp sensor at the from of the block or manifold i cant remember which. you could get a very small length of hydraulic hose with male not fittings and thread it in to verify pressure. there may be an easier port.

jv9999 05-09-2019 10:25 PM

I wouldn't start it, or worry, until you get a real oil pressure gauge on it. No sense on taking the chance if that was cold idle pressure.

85WHITEZ51 05-10-2019 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r (Post 1599375152)
might want to check the pressure switch behind the dizzy and the driver head. also there is a port down by the coolant temp sensor at the from of the block or manifold i cant remember which. you could get a very small length of hydraulic hose with male not fittings and thread it in to verify pressure. there may be an easier port.

Thanks for the tip about the front port. Thought it was just the one by the Dizzy. I'll try to find that port and will hook up a gauge.

383vett 05-10-2019 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r (Post 1599375152)

I wasn't aware of an oil galley port in the front of the motor unless you are referring to the three under the timing chain cover.

JackDidley 05-12-2019 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by 383vett (Post 1599377621)
I wasn't aware of an oil galley port in the front of the motor unless you are referring to the three under the timing chain cover.

The port is not tapped on newer motors but was an older ones. You can see it here above the timing chain area.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...f62790ecb5.jpg

VikingTrad3r 05-12-2019 09:59 AM

thats the one ^^

my 85 and 86 have it. not sure about my 87.

85WHITEZ51 05-13-2019 09:28 AM

I couldn't find the port but the car has a ZZ4 swapped in it now. I pulled the sensor and put a gauge on it and got almost 50 psi at cold start so I've got oil pressure. Waiting on the sensor that I ordered to come in but I'm betting that will fix the problem.

VikingTrad3r 05-13-2019 09:39 AM

GREAT news.

3D-Aircrew 05-13-2019 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 85WHITEZ51 (Post 1599392995)
I couldn't find the port but the car has a ZZ4 swapped in it now. I pulled the sensor and put a gauge on it and got almost 50 psi at cold start so I've got oil pressure. Waiting on the sensor that I ordered to come in but I'm betting that will fix the problem.

Had the same issue on my 86 and the new sensor fixed it.