CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Politics, Religion & Controversy (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/politics-religion-and-controversy-88/)
-   -   Facebook Co-Founder: ‘It’s Time to Break Up Facebook’ (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/politics-religion-and-controversy/4272500-facebook-co-founder-it-s-time-to-break-up-facebook.html)

1%r 05-09-2019 08:29 PM

Facebook Co-Founder: ‘It’s Time to Break Up Facebook’
 

TECH

Facebook Co-Founder: ‘It’s Time to Break Up Facebook’


https://bigleaguepolitics.com/wp-con...7-1200x630.jpg

A Facebook cofounder penned an opinion piece that claiming that it’s past time for the federal government to regulate Facebook.

Chris Hughes used most of his New York Times opinion piece to bash Facebook for “empower[ing] nationalist leaders,” not cracking down hard enough on fake news, and for its “slow response to Russian agents.”

Most of the piece was the typical leftist jargon that encapsulates the big tech debate. The political left wants the government to regulate Facebook so the company has more power to control the world’s largest public forum. The political right wants the government to step in and stop the obvious censorship of conservative opinions. In any case, Hughes provided a glimpse into the power wielded by Zuckerberg.

He said:
Trending: Jim Acosta’s Press Pass to Be Suspended Again

Mark’s influence is staggering, far beyond that of anyone else in the private sector or in government. He controls three core communications platforms — Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp — that billions of people use every day. Facebook’s board works more like an advisory committee than an overseer, because Mark controls around 60 percent of voting shares. Mark alone can decide how to configure Facebook’s algorithms to determine what people see in their News Feeds, what privacy settings they can use and even which messages get delivered. He sets the rules for how to distinguish violent and incendiary speech from the merely offensive, and he can choose to shut down a competitor by acquiring, blocking or copying it.
Zuckerberg’s old friend, despite describing him as “a good, kind person,” does not think Zuckerberg is responsible enough to handle the power that he has obtained.

“The government must hold Mark accountable,” Hughes said. “For too long, lawmakers have marveled at Facebook’s explosive growth and overlooked their responsibility to ensure that Americans are protected and markets are competitive.”

Before launching into a thousand-word history of the competitive environment in which Facebook competed during its early days, and describing Zuckerberg’s goal of “domination,” Hughes put offered a simple directive.

“Mark’s power is unprecedented and un-American,” he said. “It is time to break up Facebook.”


Red99SS 05-09-2019 08:31 PM

I still don't know where to stand at this point, but I cannot get on board with government stepping in and enacting regulations just because they'll help MY team. Isn't this akin to telling Facebook to "bake the cake?" You can't force a private network to host content that they don't want to.

1%r 05-09-2019 08:34 PM


Originally Posted by Red99SS (Post 1599374847)
I still don't know where to stand at this point, but I cannot get on board with government stepping in and enacting regulations just because they'll help MY team. Isn't this akin to telling Facebook to "bake the cake?" You can't force a private network to host content that they don't want to.

they've become content editors

Red99SS 05-09-2019 08:44 PM


Originally Posted by 1%r (Post 1599374861)
they've become content editors

But that content is THEIRS, which you agree to when you subscribe to Facebook.

1%r 05-09-2019 08:47 PM


Originally Posted by Red99SS (Post 1599374902)
But that content is THEIRS, which you agree to when you subscribe to Facebook.

true but the bias is quite evident on most of the social media platforms

PatternDayTrader 05-09-2019 08:48 PM

Google is much more threating at this point.
Tear them both apart.

owebo 05-09-2019 08:53 PM


Originally Posted by 1%r (Post 1599374861)
they've become content editors

And publishers....

America simply cannot survive if the public square is privatized....

tistan 05-09-2019 08:53 PM


Originally Posted by Red99SS (Post 1599374847)
I still don't know where to stand at this point, but I cannot get on board with government stepping in and enacting regulations just because they'll help MY team. Isn't this akin to telling Facebook to "bake the cake?" You can't force a private network to host content that they don't want to.

This is more like the phone company, which provides another means for communication, cutting off phone calls because they don't like the message. I've said this many times, I don't believe that internet is providing a free market for other forms of social media. There is a huge demand from people ,who hate facebook because of their information being used, and people who hate facebook because of the censorship. In a free market, there would be multiple competitors to facebook.

Red99SS 05-09-2019 08:56 PM


Originally Posted by 1%r (Post 1599374910)
true but the bias is quite evident on most of the social media platforms

Nobody is disputing that. They are horribly biased against conservative viewpoints, but... aren't they allowed to be if they want? It's a "bake the cake" moment. "Oh, you don't want conservative views on your platform? Tough shit, do it anyway or we'll put you in jail." Just, no.

wbvette 05-09-2019 09:00 PM

I don’t get it what is there to break up? Seems to be more of a law/regulation issue

owebo 05-09-2019 09:01 PM


Originally Posted by wbvette (Post 1599374987)
I don’t get it what is there to break up? Seems to be more of a law/regulation issue

Spin off Instagram and Snapchat...

1%r 05-09-2019 09:04 PM

i have a FB account that was opened for the business, haven't used it in years. i opened another account on another site and made 1 post, never went back. moderated an import site for a number of years that went belly up. FB and CF are my only two public venues i belong to. from what i've read most of the social media sites go after the right, not the left and other fringe groups. the numbers are staggering of how many people get their news from social media only. they can sway public opinion on many things based on their opinion. doesn't paint a pretty picture

1%r 05-09-2019 09:07 PM


Originally Posted by Red99SS (Post 1599374961)
Nobody is disputing that. They are horribly biased against conservative viewpoints, but... aren't they allowed to be if they want? It's a "bake the cake" moment. "Oh, you don't want conservative views on your platform? Tough shit, do it anyway or we'll put you in jail." Just, no.


Originally Posted by 1%r (Post 1599375004)
i have a FB account that was opened for the business, haven't used it in years. i opened another account on another site and made 1 post, never went back. moderated an import site for a number of years that went belly up. FB and CF are my only two public venues i belong to. from what i've read most of the social media sites go after the right, not the left and other fringe groups. the numbers are staggering of how many people get their news from social media only. they can sway public opinion on many things based on their opinion. doesn't paint a pretty picture

didn't see your post.

all i'm saying a pretty picture isn't being painted

bubba68ss 05-10-2019 12:47 AM


Originally Posted by Red99SS (Post 1599374961)
Nobody is disputing that. They are horribly biased against conservative viewpoints, but... aren't they allowed to be if they want? It's a "bake the cake" moment. "Oh, you don't want conservative views on your platform? Tough shit, do it anyway or we'll put you in jail." Just, no.


Thats fine if that’s what they want to do. So what’s wrong with admitting that’s what they do?

Walford 05-10-2019 10:19 AM

Yes, because the only thing better than Mark Zuckerberg telling me what I can and can't say is the government telling Mark Zuckerberg to tell me what I can and can't say.

gixxerbill 05-10-2019 10:57 AM

break that liberal pos up. I am tired of gettting hate speech warning from those bozos. And for some reason its only hate if its against sand people.

redred65cpe 05-10-2019 11:56 AM

Just about every politician, if not all today, has a presence on FB or Twitter because of their enormous reach. Some advocate that this is the new digital public square and should be regulated the same as the "regular" public square.

Millenium Z06 05-10-2019 12:02 PM


Originally Posted by Red99SS (Post 1599374961)
Nobody is disputing that. They are horribly biased against conservative viewpoints, but... aren't they allowed to be if they want? It's a "bake the cake" moment. "Oh, you don't want conservative views on your platform? Tough shit, do it anyway or we'll put you in jail." Just, no.


Exactly

Millenium Z06 05-10-2019 12:06 PM


Originally Posted by tistan (Post 1599374950)
This is more like the phone company, which provides another means for communication, cutting off phone calls because they don't like the message. I've said this many times, I don't believe that internet is providing a free market for other forms of social media. There is a huge demand from people ,who hate facebook because of their information being used, and people who hate facebook because of the censorship. In a free market, there would be multiple competitors to facebook.


No, no one has to use Facebook. Phones are a utility and necessary perse but FB is not a necessity.

KenHorse 05-10-2019 12:17 PM


Originally Posted by Millenium Z06 (Post 1599378002)
No, no one has to use Facebook. Phones are a utility and necessary perse but FB is not a necessity.

Arguable that FB is a necessary means of marketing /promotion


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands