CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   C4 continued to live on, reincarnated as the viper, for 22 more years (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4272504-c4-continued-to-live-on-reincarnated-as-the-viper-for-22-more-years.html)

dizwiz24 05-09-2019 08:37 PM

C4 continued to live on, reincarnated as the viper, for 22 more years

Does anyone else notice the similarities?

front engine/independant rear drive

long hood
clamshell hood.
tough entry / egress
raw, unrefined
seats that wrap around you
similar weight (which is impressive given the vipers bigger v10 engine)
not designed around ‘golf course types and their golf bags’ - but rather for the purist.

While the vette continued to morph into easier entry / softer riding, golf bag toting cars (even the vert) you could have still have the c4 rawness, new, until last year (in the form of the Viper).

to me the viper is the most similar layout car comparable to the c4

pologreen1 05-09-2019 10:55 PM

Good catch! If only my car looked inside and out like a '96 viper.

MatthewMiller 05-09-2019 11:46 PM

Same wheelbase, too, IIRC. And I believe the Viper used the Dana 44 like the manual C4s.

pologreen1 05-10-2019 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller (Post 1599375808)
Same wheelbase, too, IIRC. And I believe the Viper used the Dana 44 like the manual C4s.

Yep

belairbrian 05-10-2019 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 (Post 1599374870)

long hood
clamshell hood.
tough entry / egress
raw, unrefined

not designed around ‘golf course types and their golf bags’ - but rather for the purist.

That reminds me of the triumph spitfires I owned.

TorchTarga94 05-16-2019 07:08 AM

Diz- Maybe you can get the fellas over on the Viper boards to go in halfsies with you on a C4R/Viper race team to campaign in IMSA next year!

cv67 05-16-2019 12:39 PM

Not seeing it. Never cared for the viper if anything it sounds like a UPS truck or cessna

ZHammer 05-17-2019 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by dizwiz24 (Post 1599374870)

long hood
clamshell hood.
tough entry / egress
raw, unrefined

While the vette continued to morph into easier entry / softer riding, golf bag toting cars (even the vert) you could have still have the c4 rawness, new, until last year (in the form of the Viper).

to me the viper is the most similar layout car comparable to the c4

NOPE. Not even fair to compare it to the Vette. Chrysler crap. I worked on performance cars for most of my life before OIF and I can tell you Chrysler’s are JUNK. Corvettes ..well... that’s all I need to hear. Best American car in my opinion. Just take it for what it’s worth. It’s just my opinion after all. I do love the 70 Challenger/Cuda. The muscle cars of the 60’s/70’s are still the best of ANY era. Again, it’s just the ramblings of an old man yelling at the clouds. Haha.

Tom400CFI 05-17-2019 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by ZHammer (Post 1599416346)
I can tell you Chrysler’s are JUNK.

Here is a guy who hasn't driven a Viper.

The Viper is an awesome car. I feel that it is very C4 like; tight "cockpit" feel, visceral experience, but it's even quicker responding, "harder" feeling, and the frame is way, WAY stiffer. The Viper is a fantastic car.

lotsofspareparts 05-17-2019 03:22 AM

My C4 is my Viper stopgap. When I max out at Boeing..... like the day I get my first "max" pay check, the wife and I will be hunting for a Viper. We are both Mopar fans and we both want a Viper.

You might see 1 Viper for every 100 Corvettes (around here anyways).

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate my C4, I wouldn't put money into it if I didn't. A Viper is my goal though.

I've never driven a Viper, but my buddy Scott has a first gen he took me for a spin in..... a lot of smiles per mile during that ride!!

Jared

drcook 05-17-2019 08:46 AM

I was watching one of the car shows and there are companies that specialize in Vipers. The performance potential is phenomenal.

http://hennesseyperformance.com/vehi...-1000-upgrade/

Back in 1996 Vipers ALREADY had 450 HP, outpowering the Corvette by a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodge_Viper

Chrysler had help with the engine design. In their case it was Lamborghini.

RockyL32 05-17-2019 10:20 AM

I am fortunate to have both an 85 C4 and a 95 gen 1 Viper in the garage. Both very fun cars to own and drive and for me so far have been very reliable vehicles.
there are Chevy people who love Corvette and hate the Viper, there are Mopar people that love the Viper and hate the Corvette. Then there are car people, we love them all

pologreen1 05-17-2019 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI (Post 1599416417)
Here is a guy who hasn't driven a Viper.

The Viper is an awesome car. I feel that it is very C4 like; tight "cockpit" feel, visceral experience, but it's even quicker responding, "harder" feeling, and the frame is way, WAY stiffer. The Viper is a fantastic car.

A TRUE performance car from the factory. ORRR what people here like to call a "driver's car".

pologreen1 05-17-2019 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by lotsofspareparts (Post 1599416632)
My C4 is my Viper stopgap. When I max out at Boeing..... like the day I get my first "max" pay check, the wife and I will be hunting for a Viper. We are both Mopar fans and we both want a Viper.

You might see 1 Viper for every 100 Corvettes (around here anyways).

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate my C4, I wouldn't put money into it if I didn't. A Viper is my goal though.

I've never driven a Viper, but my buddy Scott has a first gen he took me for a spin in..... a lot of smiles per mile during that ride!!

Jared

Having the money to buy a Viper is one thing. Having the money to fix a Viper when it breaks or gets crashed is another. Just saying. Parts can be VERY expensive and a shop WILL abuse.

95tealconvert 05-18-2019 02:00 AM

I have friends that own Vipers and to me my 1995 Corvette is a refined 1st generation Viper. Like both cars but the very early Vipers were pretty crude but in a way that is what makes driving them a memorable experience.

Wish I had the dough to get a Viper as I see them getting harder to find in the future and values going up. Tried to get my 6' 4" body into a 2nd gen. coupe several years ago and just could not seem to make it into the car-not sure if I was doing something wrong but man what a tight fit getting into that car. Still love the look of the Viper coupe and would love to have one.

lotsofspareparts 05-18-2019 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by pologreen1 (Post 1599417782)
Having the money to buy a Viper is one thing. Having the money to fix a Viper when it breaks or gets crashed is another. Just saying. Parts can be VERY expensive and a shop WILL abuse.

In the 24 years I have been driving, probably 30 somethings cars have come through my hands (I currently own 6 cars, 2 trucks, and an SUV), and not one of them has ever seen the inside of a shop or garage that I didn't own.

I grew up in the wrecking yard with my stepfather and he gave me some great information that rings as true to me today as it did when he said it.... "Jared, a truly rich man will never have to pay another man to work on his car".

I do my own maintenance, oil changes, diagnostics, parts replacements, etc, etc. I built my L98 powered 4X4 5 speed S10 in my driveway before I had a shop.

The day I get a Viper is also the last day it will ever see the inside of a shop other than my own.

It is all just nuts and bolts.

Jared

tigertim20 05-18-2019 04:11 AM

I cant see it - and the C5 isnt exactly easy to get in and out of IMO.

The viper - I just dont dig it - the classic blue with white stripes looked ok, as the quintessential over-done 'modern american muscle/sports car' hybrid of the day but the actual shape just looks, I dunno, it just looks very beige to me.

C4 corvette is my least favourite shape of all corvettes (though I do not like indications of the C8 shape at ALL) but Id rather be looking at a C4 than a Viper. . .

drcook 05-18-2019 06:14 AM

The Viper is actually a "modern day take" on an AC Cobra, especially the initial open cockpit ones.

Here is an interesting article with a side by side comparison. Take note that article is from 1997.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/dodg...-shelby-cobra/

lotsofspareparts 05-18-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by tigertim20 (Post 1599422265)
I cant see it - and the C5 isnt exactly easy to get in and out of IMO.

The viper - I just dont dig it - the classic blue with white stripes looked ok, as the quintessential over-done 'modern american muscle/sports car' hybrid of the day but the actual shape just looks, I dunno, it just looks very beige to me.

C4 corvette is my least favourite shape of all corvettes (though I do not like indications of the C8 shape at ALL) but Id rather be looking at a C4 than a Viper. . .

I like the fact they give us the chance to "Like" or "Thumbs Up" a post, I don't like the fact we don't have the option to "Dislike" or "Thumbs Down" a post.

Jared

kael 05-18-2019 06:23 PM

I think a Viper club hating on a C4 started my hating on Vipers. Complete assholes. :mad: