CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   c6z caliper only up grade? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/4272803-c6z-caliper-only-up-grade.html)

Podium 05-10-2019 05:25 PM

c6z caliper only up grade?

Looking atupgrading my brakes. I read the c6z brakes are not that good. Id like the 14 inch rotor and six pistons set up. Just want the looks and better stopping power. Is there any other options for aftermarket calipers that use the stock c6z rotor besides willwood?

davidfarmer 05-11-2019 08:25 AM

Wilwood is the only option I know of that can be fitted with OEM rotors.

The C6Z brakes are actually very good, just are just a pain to service and the padlets are thin. If you aren't actually tracking the car regularly, they work fine. I ran a C6Z regularly for 4 years between race cars, and they work fine as long as you aren't changing pads regularly.

Todd TCE 05-11-2019 12:46 PM

Bingo. The Aero6 Front Caliper kit is just exactly that: Calipers, pads, hoses and brackets for a "hybrid fit" of the 14" front rotor and six pots to all C5 and C6 platforms. Easy install and many consider an improvement to the factory six piston models. FWIW there is also a complimenting rear kit as well of the same format.

Available in both red and black standard as well as a variety of other colors for an additional fee. Sold complete with everything but brake fluid and labor. Starting under $1700 to the door. LINK

Bill Dearborn 05-11-2019 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Todd TCE (Post 1599383625)
Bingo. The Aero6 Front Caliper kit is just exactly that: Calipers, pads, hoses and brackets for a "hybrid fit" of the 14" front rotor and six pots to all C5 and C6 platforms. Easy install and many consider an improvement to the factory six piston models. FWIW there is also a complimenting rear kit as well of the same format.

Available in both red and black standard as well as a variety of other colors for an additional fee. Sold complete with everything but brake fluid and labor. Starting under $1700 to the door. LINK

You can also add this Wilwood 14 inch stock replacement rotor that will give great on track rotor life. I added these rotors when using the previous version of these calipers on my 08Z. I carried a couple of old stock rotors as spares just in case something happened but over three seasons of usage nothing happened.
http://Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Fron...No.: 140-12496

Between this setup and the Wilwood rear brake kit you have a damned good brake setup with a good selection of pads and long lasting rotors. On track I preferred Wilwood's H pads.

Bill

STANG KILLA SS 05-11-2019 05:41 PM

i recently upgraded to the wilwood aero6 front calipers and love them. as a bonus pads are cheaper too!

Podium 05-12-2019 10:48 AM

Thanks for the link. Do you offer black rotors? Im going to go c6z in the front and the rear.

Todd TCE 05-12-2019 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Podium (Post 1599387921)
Thanks for the link. Do you offer black rotors? Im going to go c6z in the front and the rear.

No sir. But because these calipers use oe spec, one piece rotors, you can source them from any rotor supplier of your choice I personally don't have a favorite or vendor recommendation. Given the one piece spec I'd have to say they're all pretty much the same thing here..

*To be clear: these are CALIPER kits they don't come with rotors of any size, color or finish. This is not a Big Brake Kit with all those items.

tlrskunk 05-13-2019 10:05 AM

Will the Aero 6 Kit work well with a stock C5 master cylinder or recommend upgrading?

Kubs 05-13-2019 11:22 AM

Check out www.knsbrakes.com for good rotor choices.

Todd TCE 05-13-2019 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by tlrskunk (Post 1599393234)
Will the Aero 6 Kit work well with a stock C5 master cylinder or recommend upgrading?

Just fine yes.

blkbrd69 05-13-2019 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Podium (Post 1599380001)
Looking atupgrading my brakes. I read the c6z brakes are not that good. Id like the 14 inch rotor and six pistons set up. Just want the looks and better stopping power. Is there any other options for aftermarket calipers that use the stock c6z rotor besides willwood?

Brake kits won't offer more stopping power, tires do that. They will offer more heat resistance and thicker pads. but this is very rotor dependent.

IMHO as big a PITA as the C6Z caliper is with its pins, and thin pucks. It "looks" better than Willwood. for looks STR or AP. Not to mention they are actually awesome systems that take real rotors.

Podium 06-05-2019 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Todd TCE (Post 1599388350)
No sir. But because these calipers use oe spec, one piece rotors, you can source them from any rotor supplier of your choice I personally don't have a favorite or vendor recommendation. Given the one piece spec I'd have to say they're all pretty much the same thing here..

*To be clear: these are CALIPER kits they don't come with rotors of any size, color or finish. This is not a Big Brake Kit with all those items.

Do the wilwoods use an OE pad or is that something that is only Wilwood

Todd TCE 06-06-2019 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Podium (Post 1599530673)
Do the wilwoods use an OE pad or is that something that is only Wilwood

D8 replacement calipers, D8 pads. Same old same old.

*I apologize, this reply was based on another conversation regarding the D8 replacements and not the Aero6 parts. Obviously not the same thing.

The Aerolite calipers use a pad plate 6617 and while not Wilwood specific any longer they are not a pad you'd find at the local autoparts store.They are however available from many suppliers not due to the popularity of the caliper. And most have a variety of compounds to meet your use requirements.

Again, sorry for mixing up my conversations here.

blackbeast99 06-07-2019 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by davidfarmer (Post 1599382447)

The C6Z brakes are actually very good, just are just a pain to service and the padlets are thin. If you aren't actually tracking the car regularly, they work fine. I ran a C6Z regularly for 4 years between race cars, and they work fine as long as you aren't changing pads regularly.

Going to have to agree...

OP...what is your intent for the car? The C6Z setup is usually more than enough brake...tires are also a factor to consider.

Podium 06-09-2019 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by blackbeast99 (Post 1599541534)
Going to have to agree...

OP...what is your intent for the car? The C6Z setup is usually more than enough brake...tires are also a factor to consider.

Stopping power and looks.

froggy47 06-09-2019 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by davidfarmer (Post 1599382447)

Agree with David, except for the padlets (not hard just pita) they are stout binders. Don't let some keyboard mechanics tell you otherwise. So put one piece pads in & voila! Probably pretty cheap compared to alternatives.

:)

Gray Ghost GS 06-10-2019 07:22 AM

Todd, I will be contacting you for a set of these Wilwood brakes for my '13 Grand Sport this summer for use with my OEM rotors. Big fan of Wilwood products. Had them on my C5 and on my Mustang S197.

Todd TCE 06-10-2019 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost GS (Post 1599554942)
Todd, I will be contacting you for a set of these Wilwood brakes for my '13 Grand Sport this summer for use with my OEM rotors. Big fan of Wilwood products. Had them on my C5 and on my Mustang S197.

Thanks, I'll be here to help in any way. *You can order straight from the web page at your convenience or call if you prefer.