CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Megasquirt 1986 auto (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4272841-megasquirt-1986-auto.html)

Marauderprime 05-10-2019 07:52 PM

Megasquirt 1986 auto

So, I’m still collecting parts, but I have the turbo, the manifolds, and the intercooler. Physically, I am ready to start bolting parts on.

now I have to worry about the tuning side of things. I was looking at the arm plug and play which looks like a spectacular product, but i’d Be stuck with batch fire.

Given it’s a turbo car, and I have an e85 station right next to my house, I’d like a sequential setup for precision tuning, which has me looking really hard at an ms3 system.

has anyone installed an ms3 into an 86 with the factory gauges? It’s really important to me to keep the original gauges working, I really like them a lot.

im looking for some wiring tips, pictures, etc.

thanks in advance for the help everyone.

tequilaboy 05-11-2019 01:52 AM

Don't touch a thing 'till you can dial in the mpg display for E85. ~6.59 lbs/gallon. The rest is child's play.

Marauderprime 05-11-2019 10:51 AM

How would I calibrate that through the megasquirt? I was under the impression that I lose all of the “calculation functions.” And honestly I’m hoping for maybe some wiring diagram to megasquirt harness help as well.

BlowerWorks 05-11-2019 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by tequilaboy (Post 1599381990)
Don't touch a thing 'till you can dial in the mpg display for E85. ~6.59 lbs/gallon. The rest is child's play.

Curious - why MegaSquirt ????? greg

JoeNova 05-11-2019 01:51 PM

Microsquirt is fine for a turbo setup.

Have ran 10s on multiple street cars/trucks with micro.

MS3 has programmable outputs that you can use for certain gauges.

Marauderprime 05-11-2019 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by BlowerWorks (Post 1599383795)
Curious - why MegaSquirt ????? greg

It seems like a pretty robust system at a decent price point, with a lot of forum support, and ease of tuning. I’m not opposed to the arm system, I like that it’s just unplug and plug in, but again I was hoping to run full sequential. That may be the road I go.

Marauderprime 05-14-2019 11:55 AM

I just ordered the 1986-1987 Corvette Factory Service manual on CD-Rom. I will comb through that to see how the wiring between the ECM and the gauges works.

Space387 05-16-2019 04:14 PM

megasquirt is not able to output the data stream you need for things like MPG calculation. I Looked into adding MS3 to my 1990 vette and found everything is able to be ran but the few things running from the serial line. If you go through and pull the serial wire from your existing ECM it should show you what you will loose with MS. Personally I love megasquirt and very likely will end up using mine when I exceed the tuning capabilities of the stock ecm.