CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 ZR-1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion-50/)
-   -   No power to warning lights, no start. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-zr-1-discussion/4273106-no-power-to-warning-lights-no-start.html)

mmkkpro 05-11-2019 05:23 PM

No power to warning lights, no start.

Hello guys, I finally got a chance to start working on my 1990z.
When I turn the ign. Switch on, I have no warning lights, no lcd, no blower motor. The radio works the lights for climate control are on, info center is on, the tach moves to zero and the analog guages are working. All seats, windows, interior and exterior lights work. The turn signals click and do work but the lights for The arrows do not light up and the high beam indicator light does not work either. All but one fuse is working. The "INST" fuse has no power.
If I turn the key to start I only hear a slight click, nothing else happens. I feel like a power wire is open, maybe a fuse able link bad, anyone have any ideas?
Also would like to ask about aftermarket fuel tanks or can the original fuel tank be cleaned? From what I understand factory tanks have a bladder, it's pretty bad though not even sure I would want to try to clean it, going to be a big job changing tanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Dynomite 05-11-2019 07:24 PM

There is a Junction Block with several connectors between Battery and Fire Wall down near the Battery tie down. All those Connectors should be "HOT".

Assume your Battery is 12+ volts :cheers:

mmkkpro 05-11-2019 07:34 PM

Dynomite

Yes brand new battery, I cleaned the junction and checked all wires before and after fuse able links and all is good. I was just reading that there is an auxiliary fuse block under passenger side hush panel, my rear hatch release is not working either, I cleaned the grounds today also, could it be vats connected, but I don't think vats affects dash warning lights, sure seems like a power supply problem, thanks for your help👍

Dynomite 05-11-2019 07:40 PM

Replace Fuel tank

mmkkpro 05-11-2019 07:53 PM

Dynomite

Yea, I worried what Mt sending unit looks like too, I have new fuel pumps and am talking to FIC about then stainless steel injectors 729 bucks and I don't want to take a chance on messing them up, this car sat for 5 years I know of so probably going to turn into a partial restoration, I paid 5k for it so if I spend another 5k or so on it think I will still be OK. I want to fix it not part it out. On the other hand I have never heard the engine run. This is a real gamble for me. The good thing is it's not been butchered, it still has original spare tire under it. So I reckon I'm going to continue with the build. That fuel tank is a big job. I think it was cared for until it got parked, the oil in the engine is super clean, I know they ran Castrol full synthetic oil in it. Can't wait to get her going.

ccmano 05-12-2019 03:31 PM

Why replace the tank? It doesn’t rust. There’s a rubber liner inside. Unless the liner has been compromised or there is damage from the outside it can be cleaned out.
H
:cheers:

mmkkpro 05-12-2019 04:10 PM

Fuel tank

It's about 3/4 full of nasty gas, the sending unit has disintegrated, reckon its at the bottom, not sure how to get all that rusted crud out, might could use a magnet. It's a big job changing that tank. I found a good used sending unit complete for a zr1, it's expensive but from what I have seen they are almost extinct, ordering it tomorrow. Got any ideas on cleaning the tank?
I have my dash about 3/4,disassembled, i can push up on one of the wiring harnesses and the blower motor comes on, so going to check and clean everything I can find while I'm in there. I did check to see if it is reading the chip and it is so don't think it's Vats related. I need to make sure the engine is OK before I spend too much though.

Z51JEFF 05-12-2019 08:12 PM

On my 91 there are fuses behind the stereo. As far as the fuel tank,I’d get the old gas out and start cleaning it out.

mmkkpro 05-12-2019 08:32 PM

Z51jeff

Yea, the sending unit is completely destroyed, 95% of it is down in the tank. I found one on ebay for 450 bucks. The tank does not leak, think I'm going to rig up a magnet to pick up the rusted metal, I'm going to try to save it.
I have started taking the dash apart and I also read a post about the fuses behind the info center area. I found the auxiliary fuse box on passenger side. I ran some tests and most everything is working, I wiggled one of the wiring harnesses and the blower motor started working, the Vats is reading my key chip correctly. I did get one warning light sorta working it says "change oil", still no lcd display yet, sure seems like either a power supply or corroded connection. I'm using my FSMs, they help a lot, it ain't like working on a 1969 camaro. Going to keep pushing ahead and get her done. Just kinda worried about whether or not the engine actually runs, but everything I'm doing has to be done before I try to start it, no turning back now. Thanks fo taking the time to reply, between Corvette Forum and ZR1. Net, a lot of people have helped and it's greatly appreciated. 👍👍🏁

Z51JEFF 05-12-2019 10:12 PM

Can you see anything that would indicate the wiring has been hacked into,if not that’s a good sign

mmkkpro 05-13-2019 12:03 AM

Z51jeff

No hacking at all, it still as far as I can tell has original spare tire. I think sitting all those years took its toll. One of the warning lights started working somewhat as I dug deeper into the dash. A lot of the contacts have that greenish corrosion on them, all interior lights work even vanity lights on the visors. Going to keep digging till I find the problem, either corrosion or fuseable link.