CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Disappointed With Lowered Front, Any Suggestions?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4273115-disappointed-with-lowered-front-any-suggestions.html)

LucasMc22 05-11-2019 06:02 PM

Disappointed With Lowered Front, Any Suggestions??

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...adaa035ef4.jpg
'
Hello all,
I just finished the process of "lowering" the front suspension of my C4. The car now has an '84 Z51 spring, shaved down spring wedges, shaved down spring end pads, and no shims between the frame and the spring retainer. I expected at least an inch to inch and a half drop from this work, according to everything I've read on this topic. However, the picture above is how my car is sitting after all the work. It is nearly the same as when the car had stock non-Z51 suspension, maybe just barely lower. I have driven the car at least 25 miles to try to settle the suspension, but it just doesn't seem like its getting any lower. Has anyone had this happen before? Everyone on here seems pretty thrilled with how their car looks after doing this job, but I am pretty disappointed. I'm hoping it just needs more time to settle in, because it was a lot of work for pretty much no gain besides the stiffer spring. If anyone has any idea or any suggestion to remedy this, please let me know. Thank you.

cv67 05-11-2019 08:14 PM

Have you driven it around or had it aligned yet?

Tom400CFI 05-12-2019 01:31 AM

X2. Drive it around the block, then take another pic. :thumbs:

383vett 05-12-2019 01:41 AM

We're the control arms torqued whole the car was on the ground?

LucasMc22 05-12-2019 02:07 AM

I've driven the car at least 25 miles since I got it on the ground. Noticed a little change but barely. Haven't aligned the car yet.
I only removed one control arm and, yes, I torqued it after the car was on the ground. No squeaks or anything from the suspension either.

Tom400CFI 05-12-2019 02:09 AM

That's weird. 383vette had a great idea too...but if you torqued everything after the car was down, then that's not it, either. Pic looks like stock ride height.

RetroGuy 05-12-2019 10:15 AM

If all else fails, adjust the front tire PSI to 10 lbs less than the rear... Caution: not recommended for best tire wear or performance driving. :D :steering:

Kevova 05-12-2019 10:35 AM

Did you change spring retainer to. later model, cut down aluminum brackets?

Mad-Tiki-Customs 05-12-2019 12:44 PM

A arm Torque

Originally Posted by LucasMc22 (Post 1599386817)
I've driven the car at least 25 miles since I got it on the ground. Noticed a little change but barely. Haven't aligned the car yet.
I only removed one control arm and, yes, I torqued it after the car was on the ground. No squeaks or anything from the suspension either.

Just an idea, you torqued the arms after the vehicle was set on the ground. Maybe, now that the cars been driven it would benefit loosening up and tightening again now that the suspensions settled a bit?
I noticed my car was sitting at a great low ride height when I bought it. I put it on the lift and its now stuck back in what i consider 4x4 mode. I was thinking re greasing spring pads. This may benefit your dilemma as well? Just throwing some possibilities out there for ya.

Gibbles 05-16-2019 08:29 AM

I had the same sorta issue with my 84 z51, it lowered but not as much as i had hoped for.
I shaved the rubber down to the spring (carefully), and then west system epoxy one of the plastic shims to the spring.
Then shaves down a set of the later style aluminum brackets.
Installed with a single aluminum shim on the mount..

I drove it around a while and it settled in a bit, still not as low as i wanted but i do scrape my front air dam quite often.

If i ever pull the spring off again then I'm going in with 0 shims, and removing that plastic spacer.
Spring directly against the frame seems to be the best way.

Also the rear lowering kit i ended up making a new spacer out of some aluminum tube once i found the height i liked.
It seemed to tighten the rear end up in hard corners...
I had installed a polly bushing set for the rear end, it called for only two per side.
I ended up reinstalling the best looking of the original rubber bushings for the new spacer tube...

I hope that makes sense, it's early. :D

383vett 05-16-2019 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Gibbles (Post 1599410879)
I had the same sorta issue with my 84 z51, it lowered but not as much as i had hoped for.
I shaved the rubber down to the spring (carefully), and then west system epoxy one of the plastic shims to the spring.
Then shaves down a set of the later style aluminum brackets.
Installed with a single aluminum shim on the mount..

I drove it around a while and it settled in a bit, still not as low as i wanted but i do scrape my front air dam quite often.

If i ever pull the spring off again then I'm going in with 0 shims, and removing that plastic spacer.
Spring directly against the frame seems to be the best way.

I hope that makes sense, it's early. :D

I'm also running no shims with the spring against the frame. I only travel a 1/4 mile at a time though.