CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Tuning issues w/ Z06 getting too hot after ported blower?? Please advise (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4273422-tuning-issues-w-z06-getting-too-hot-after-ported-blower-please-advise.html)

Eat.Sleep.Race 05-12-2019 05:29 PM

Tuning issues w/ Z06 getting too hot after ported blower?? Please advise

So long story short, i got my car's second round of mods done, and the tuner couldn't make more PEAK power with the addition of meth, ported blower, and 103mm TB, becuase it made 16.5psi, and was getting too hot, and had to have timing pulled.

He had to pull 4/5 degrees up top.

Question is, cars mod as fuel setup is as follows, not sure I NEED heat exchanger/expansion tank, or if this is just an issue with tuning? 16.5psi I assume is just way too much boost for the stock blower to run without the cooling mods?

Mods are:

2 inch TSP headers/catless & Xpipe
103mm NW TB
Halltech intake
18% lower
Kong Ported blower
Dual nozzle meth
DSX Flex fuel
DSX inline booster pump (can activated)
HP tuners trans/ecu tuning
E content E40-E50.

Car has to have timing pulled up top, and therefore didn't make more power with the addition of ported blower/meth... I'm a bit upset since I spent 5k to make same top end, but did pick up some torque, and 40WHP midrange..

Any advice, if i just need to add an expansion tank and try to retune and see if the temps go down?

Bill Dearborn 05-12-2019 05:37 PM

Check to make sure the intercooler has been bled properly. You shouldn't have much air at the top of the reservoir. No more than the size of two quarters when looking down from the hood opening. It can take a couple of hours to pull the air out of the system with a 25 psi vacuum source and the correct bleed tool. You may find you need to raise the front of the car a couple of feet to get more air out.

Bill

Mr. Gizmo 05-12-2019 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1599389862)
Check to make sure the intercooler has been bled properly. You shouldn't have much air at the top of the reservoir. No more than the size of two quarters when looking down from the hood opening. It can take a couple of hours to pull the air out of the system with a 25 psi vacuum source and the correct bleed tool. You may find you need to raise the front of the car a couple of feet to get more air out.

Bill

there has got to be an easier way to bleed these tanks. As the system is not pressurized it seems as though a simple kit could be made where a hole is bored in the top of the tank and a fitting with filler tube extension coming up 6 or 8 inches would do the trick.

It’s nuts having to jump through hoops and raising the front end of the car to fill the tank.

Eat.Sleep.Race 05-12-2019 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1599389862)

Bill

Is this a common thing? I took the blower off myself, and put it back on, and did no bleeding or anything.. Hmmm wonder if this is the issue? What would the side effects be, air in lines and not cooling properly?

Thanks for the help!!

rjacobs 05-12-2019 09:44 PM

if there is enough air in the lines the pump shuts off and stuff gets REALLY hot.

If thats not your issue, I would suggest some street tuning to get real air flowing over all the heat exchangers... These cars(and most others) do some weird things on dyno's when they heat soak. The tuner I use wont do more than 3 pulls on a dyno on basically any car before letting the car cool for at least an hour.

GeorgeR_Zed06 05-12-2019 11:00 PM

I still don't see how your making so much boost on an 18% lower, that's a lot of boost and would explain why you have hot intake temps. That, and probably having an air-locked intercooler pump. How much power did you make?

BearZ06 05-13-2019 12:46 AM

Bleeding info here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ler-video.html

Eat.Sleep.Race 05-13-2019 08:28 PM

I will try to bleed the system, and add an expansion tank!

BrunoTheMellow 05-13-2019 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1599390019)
there has got to be an easier way to bleed these tanks. As the system is not pressurized it seems as though a simple kit could be made where a hole is bored in the top of the tank and a fitting with filler tube extension coming up 6 or 8 inches would do the trick.

It’s nuts having to jump through hoops and raising the front end of the car to fill the tank.

Just drill the top of the tank and put a bleeder on it. Use the regular fill point. That's what Gspeed does but they have their tank up high to catch all air.

It's a simple concept. Can't say how tough it will be to keep from leaking.

AMMUSCLE 05-13-2019 08:43 PM

16.5 boost

The boost seems a little high for a 18% lower.
Most of us are making from 12-14 PSI, but try bleeding the system.

ajrothm 05-14-2019 01:12 PM

What kind of power did it make? Something definitely seems off. I'm not surprised about the 16.5 psi with the 18% lower and the Kong ported blower...But I am surprised you didn't pick up any power. Its got to be an issue with the intercooler coolant circulation etc... If its yanking 4-5* in a short dyno pull, there is definitely something not right...

GSpeed 05-14-2019 06:45 PM

https://gspeed.com/product/gspeed-en...-coolant-tank/

Eat.Sleep.Race 05-15-2019 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by GSpeed (Post 1599402787)

Thanks GSpeed- does your tank offer the same as your bleeder system? To get the system bled? Ill call tomorrow to order!

Thanks,

Garrett

Eat.Sleep.Race 05-16-2019 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by ajrothm (Post 1599400796)
What kind of power did it make? Something definitely seems off. I'm not surprised about the 16.5 psi with the 18% lower and the Kong ported blower...But I am surprised you didn't pick up any power. Its got to be an issue with the intercooler coolant circulation etc... If its yanking 4-5* in a short dyno pull, there is definitely something not right...

well it picked up 40-45 whp and trq in mid range, but max power was 698, and 801trq

GeorgeR_Zed06 05-16-2019 10:41 PM

I still think your pump is air-locked. Also, by looking at your torque, is it possible you may have a little too much timing? Timing = heat