CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   heat from a zf (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4273526-heat-from-a-zf.html)

bud40oz 05-12-2019 10:22 PM

heat from a zf

after driving my car for a while the other day i noticed that the boot area and center of the console above where the trans would be was kind of warmer than what i thought it should be... is that normal?, it might of just been the sun coming in the window or my arms laying in the same place while driving.. but it seemed a bit warm to me.

maybe i am just paranoid from changing the shifter out and gear oil.. plus the fact the car has already been on fire once...

jmgtp 05-12-2019 10:30 PM

Very normal and also consider the exhaust is just below the zf in that same spot and that heat is also rising.

bud40oz 05-12-2019 10:33 PM

cool, thanks. kinda what i thought.. like i said i am a new owner.
it isn't hot by any means. just warmer than any car i have drove before, that thing is a blast to drive. i can't wait to go lake hopping this summer on some smooth country roads

RUU 05-12-2019 10:36 PM

Exhaust heat - normal. And you might want to check the inner shift boot to see if it has any rips or holes that will allow heat through.

bud40oz 05-12-2019 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by RUU (Post 1599391572)
Exhaust heat - normal. And you might want to check the inner shift boot to see if it has any rips or holes that will allow heat through.

i just had the boot out when i installed the hurst short shifter so i am pretty sure that it is all put in proper there.... but it had me wondering.. just for the record... does the boot go on top or underneath the floor. it was underneath before and didn't want to shift very well, so i think i put it back together on top and slipped the little groove in place the best i could... it shifts fine in every gear except third, it wants to grind a bit going into third.. the guy told me it needed a slave cylinder, does that sound like a possible fix for that? all gears shift fine.. but third and only when you are getting on it hard... it wants to grind going into third. normal driving it is okay.. if i just shift it normal.. by normal i mean shifting it at lower rpm's and not a speed shift

81c3 05-13-2019 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by bud40oz (Post 1599391604)
i just had the boot out when i installed the hurst short shifter so i am pretty sure that it is all put in proper there.... but it had me wondering.. just for the record... does the boot go on top or underneath the floor. it was underneath before and didn't want to shift very well, so i think i put it back together on top and slipped the little groove in place the best i could... it shifts fine in every gear except third, it wants to grind a bit going into third.. the guy told me it needed a slave cylinder, does that sound like a possible fix for that? all gears shift fine.. but third and only when you are getting on it hard... it wants to grind going into third. normal driving it is okay.. if i just shift it normal.. by normal i mean shifting it at lower rpm's and not a speed shift

The grinding going into 3rd sounds like a possible worn synchro assembly. If it were slave cylinder related, it would affect more than just 3rd gear.

bud40oz 05-13-2019 09:38 AM

kinda what i thought as well. i don't really see how it would work fine in every other gear,

vette196 05-13-2019 10:34 AM

side question.....I have my transmission out, would it be worth spraying some type of insulation/coating to lower the cabin temps/soundproof?

84 4+3 05-13-2019 10:37 AM

Mine used to do that, albeit the 4+3. It stopped doing that after I replaced the cat...

Logan Shoemaker 05-14-2019 01:51 AM

That's the exact issue I'm having with my 4+3 when I get it on a lift Saturday I'm going to check the lower boot as well but tomorrow I'm peeling back the carpet around the console and going to add some insulation. (HVAC tape)

hockeyhead019 05-14-2019 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by vette196 (Post 1599393406)
side question.....I have my transmission out, would it be worth spraying some type of insulation/coating to lower the cabin temps/soundproof?

You could but I don't really see the point. I haven't ever experienced uncomfortable temps in my C4 even in 98 degree weather here stuck in traffic. I guess you could just to help with the insulation of the cab but I would be worried about any insulation failing and falling off onto the exhaust.

Big fan of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" lol

VikingTrad3r 05-16-2019 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by 84 4+3 (Post 1599393418)
Mine used to do that, albeit the 4+3. It stopped doing that after I replaced the cat...

same.

Kubs 05-17-2019 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by vette196 (Post 1599393406)

My race car has no carpet or anything inside and with headers and 3" exhaust the trans tunnel used to get hot enough to burn you on the inside. I installed DEI insulation in the tunnel and now the inside is just warm to the touch.

https://live.staticflickr.com/4323/3...cc2490a5_k.jpg