CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   turn signals/brakes dont work (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4273537-turn-signals-brakes-dont-work.html)

94c4562 05-12-2019 11:23 PM

turn signals/brakes dont work

sorry if i am posting in the wrong place, i just signed up.

my 1994 C4 i just bought recently works great but the turn signals/brake lights don't work. the previous owner was telling me you have to tilt the steering wheel at a certain angle so it can work, he thinks it is the wiring/turn signal switch as it is a common failure. dude was the second owner since 95 and had a stack of maintence records. it sat for a while since he has a family (drove it here and there)

the hazards do work when i press the button, the third brake light does work fine when i press the brake, the tail lights do light up when i turn on the lights but thats it. turn signals/ main brake lights dont light up when i brake or use the turn signals. the left turn signal does work is i press down on the hazards. sometimes i hear the turn signal click go off randomly while driving. he said he used a rubber band to tie the wires that run from the steering wheel down to the bottom of the dash and it worked a bit.

what can it be? the turn signal switch or multi function lever? bad ground/wire is pinched? im new to corvettes so in layman terms please lol

i live in southern california/ LA area

65Z01 05-13-2019 06:34 PM

I think first order of business is to purchase a copy of the FSM for your '94. Sounds like some wiring is buggered and the FSM will lead you.

Next thing I would suggest is to check the fuses.

Yukon Corleone 05-13-2019 07:30 PM

I am not there but I am guessing the switch is correct. I have replaced several of mine and everything is working. High third brake light and I think the back up lights were not working. I think that was it and it was a switch each time. It could be something else also and hopefully someone else will chime in.

94c4562 05-15-2019 07:55 PM

i will get on it. i am leaning towards a turn signal switch as it works once in a blue moon if it is tilted right but only the left turn signal will work lol

i swapped out the fuses and i think i actually fixed my horn issue, it will go off randomly and it won't stop as it is a constant long horn. since i swapped the fuse it hasn't and it has been 2 hours and counting with the horn plugged back in.

94c4562 05-15-2019 08:01 PM

i wish i could do the job myself but with my back and me being a big boy in a tight spot? nope lol

my reverse lights work fine, i am swapping them out for LEDs and my fog lights also. should i just swap out the switch or should i wait for the turn signal lever to arrive so both can be replaced? all the functions work on the lever execpt the turn signals.