CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Help for a Novice Autocrosser (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/4273816-help-for-a-novice-autocrosser.html)

volzfan 05-13-2019 05:54 PM

Help for a Novice Autocrosser

First, my car is a 1998 Coupe, basically stock (Blackwing CIA, Corsa Sport Exhaust with X pipe). Suspension is stock (not a Z51), except for Bilstein Sport shocks and better solid sway bar endlinks. The car is an automatic (I can no longer drive a manual due to neuropathy in my left foot. Nerve damage from back surgery). So, in the last couple of years, I've ran a couple of local Autocross events, and I'm hooked. I've joined SCCA, already a NCCC member, and I want to run the"regional" events. (Bristol, Kodak, TN, etc.).
I've picked up an "extra" set of wheels, and I want to get some tires just for AutoX. I plan to drive to these events, but the longest travel distance will be less than 100 miles.
What do the autocrossers recommend? I want to stay legal for SCCA (UTOG 200 or above). Any good suggestions?

Thanks in advance. And any other advice is also appreciated. I've been a "car show" guy for too long...time to enjoy driving this wonderful sportscar! And I know that I'm probably never going to be really competitive, but it's so much fun just trying to do a personal best, that I will be fine.

Proletariat designs 05-13-2019 07:17 PM

BFG rival s tires and bridgestone RE71R tires are the fastest 200 tw tires for autox. Get the widest tire you can fit on your extra wheels. personally Id sell the extra wheels and get 4 18 x 10.5 and run 315s front and back. Those tires grip great but dont last long on the street. The falken 615k+ is a good option if you want a longer life on the tires. Most important is just go have fun, and if you can run b street (pull off the cai) you'll be more competitive than running cam s

jesup16 05-13-2019 08:51 PM

2 options for tires: RivalS or RE71R's. If you are "hooked" as you say, you want either of those 2 tires. Now, that decision depends on the next: what class?

1. B-Street: Take off the Cold Air Intake and put the stock one on. If the "extra wheels" are stock size (please tell us what they are), put on a set of either the RivalS 1.5 or RE71R's and have a blast. Personally, I like the RE71R's.

2. STU (Street Touring Ultra): This is a bolt on class. Keep your mods. Put on a set of 10.5 wheels square and either a 275 RivalS or 285 RE71R (285 is the largest tire allowed for this class). FYI, this class allows more mods than you have.

3. CAM-S: This is the wild west of street tires. Put on a set of square 10.5's or 11's and go hog wild on the mod's. Sky is the limit but must keep some interior.

Be sure to read the rules for these classes and understand what you can and can't do. IMO, stay in B-Street. HAVE FUN!

If you really get hooked and get competitive, consider a car with a good Dual Clutch or Porsche PDK, so you won't be limited by your tranny... that's a whole 'nother conversation.

volzfan 05-13-2019 09:50 PM

Thanks, guys. The wheels are a set of stock C5 wheels (2001, I think) that I bought from a guy who had bought some custom wheels. They aren't perfect (some curb rash), which makes them good for my use. I've looked at Tire Rack, and had already considered the RE71R's, but they don't come in "stock" size. So, what would you suggest? Stock size would be 245/45 17 front and 275/40 18 rear. They do offer the front size, but not the rear. Would it be a problem (or maybe even an improvement?) to run 245/40s on the front and 275/35s on the rear? Or another suggestion?

I really appreciate the help and advice on the classes, too. I'm thinking this is going to really be a lot of fun!

jesup16 05-13-2019 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by volzfan (Post 1599397733)
Thanks, guys. The wheels are a set of stock C5 wheels (2001, I think) that I bought from a guy who had bought some custom wheels. They aren't perfect (some curb rash), which makes them good for my use. I've looked at Tire Rack, and had already considered the RE71R's, but they don't come in "stock" size. So, what would you suggest? Stock size would be 245/45 17 front and 275/40 18 rear. They do offer the front size, but not the rear. Would it be a problem (or maybe even an improvement?) to run 245/40s on the front and 275/35s on the rear? Or another suggestion?

I really appreciate the help and advice on the classes, too. I'm thinking this is going to really be a lot of fun!

Front - 255/40/17

Rear - 275/35/18 or 285/30/18.

jefnvk 05-14-2019 03:33 PM

Last AutoX I went to, EVERYONE on 200TW had RE71s.

Yes, one or two folks had Michelin Pilot Sports or Toyo Proxies, but RE71 was the one to have. For reference, I was running General G-Max RS (UHP Summers) on my Focus ST, I was giving up a consistent second or so to the three guys in the same car on RE71R on a ~38 sec course. Consistent enough at least that igt gives me a good indication that is how much faster they are on the AutoX over an actual performance street tire.

volzfan 06-07-2019 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by jesup16 (Post 1599397745)
Front - 255/40/17

Rear - 275/35/18 or 285/30/18.

I've got the tires, as you suggested. Having them mounted this weekend. I'm signed up to run Novice class later this month, but I intend to stick to B Street, also as you suggested. Looking forward to a load of fun! Thanks to all for the suggestions and support.