CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Events (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events-97/)
-   -   1960 bc vehicle inspection decal (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events/4273870-1960-bc-vehicle-inspection-decal.html)

Rusty60 05-13-2019 08:18 PM

1960 bc vehicle inspection decal

I have my windshield apart on my 1960
definitely showing it’s age and as far as I can tell not original
but has a very brittle inspection sticker on it
i think I’ll end up reusing the windshield because I like the decal
ive tried searching but not much comes up about them
were they for cars out of province?
any idea idea why they were used?
some of it rubbed off but looked to have a 1961 date on it
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...edb5409e9.jpeg

Airwilf 05-14-2019 06:32 PM

I don't know if this will help, but here's my .02 worth. Check with places that do vintage restoration work. The Collector's Guild in Richmond Hill or Vaughn Ontario, not sure which may be able to steer you in some direction. There's also a large restoration company in Chatham Ontario, name escapes me at the moment. They have a tv show on DISCV channel. Perhaps someone will jump in with a better memory than mine. Also, pick up a copy Hemmings at Chapters /Indigo. There are as many ads in it as there are cars I think, so they could be restoration shops in it also. Local vintage car clubs may be of some assistance. I believe locally it's VRAC & they have a big vintage race weekend in early June at Mosport. (CTMP for the purists). When vintage cars are restored to concours for show, you'd be amazed at what they can reproduce from old photographs or drawings. Hope this helps. If I can find out anything else, I'll let you know. Good luck

Rusty60 05-14-2019 06:57 PM

thanks for the reply
i'm pretty sure I could have something made but have not been able to even find a good picture of one to try and reproduce
definitely matches the sad state my car is in at the moment:)

Airwilf 05-14-2019 07:57 PM

Any chances of access to BC Motor Vehicle archives ? Possibly be a photo ?

TnRZ06 05-16-2019 05:44 PM

the company out of Chatham is R.M. Restoration

Rusty60 05-16-2019 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by TnRZ06 (Post 1599414400)
the company out of Chatham is R.M. Restoration

Great thanks

tfi racing 05-18-2019 04:16 AM

Look up 3B Bobb out past Chilliwack. Not a Corvette guy but has a huge pile of GM and Chevy trucks from the forties and fifties, will definitely be able to tell you all about that sticker,it is similar to the current CVIS/OOP stickers used currently(nothing but a tax grab) . Hell of a nice guy and his place is really something you should see if you have a couple of hours for the tour.

Rusty60 05-18-2019 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by tfi racing (Post 1599422271)
Look up 3B Bobb out past Chilliwack. Not a Corvette guy but has a huge pile of GM and Chevy trucks from the forties and fifties, will definitely be able to tell you all about that sticker,it is similar to the current CVIS/OOP stickers used currently(nothing but a tax grab) . Hell of a nice guy and his place is really something you should see if you have a couple of hours for the tour.

That’s great I’ll definitely look him up
I love taking tours of people’s collections, cars or otherwise

hummiscorvettetaken 05-19-2019 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty60 (Post 1599397119)
I have my windshield apart on my 1960
definitely showing it’s age and as far as I can tell not original
but has a very brittle inspection sticker on it
i think I’ll end up reusing the windshield because I like the decal
ive tried searching but not much comes up about them
were they for cars out of province?
any idea idea why they were used?
some of it rubbed off but looked to have a 1961 date on it
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...edb5409e9.jpeg

They were annual BC Provincial inspection decals, I believe the last time I took my car through the inspection before they were shut down was around 1977, I went to the inspection center on Minoru Blvd in Richmond. You would drive through a building (similar to an air-care center) and they would check your headlight alignment and other safety features. If you passed they put the decal on the window and if you failed you had to bring your car back with the issue fixed. They would scrape off the previous years decal and replace with a new one. Its nice to see them still on some old windshields, I would want to try to keep it also!

Rusty60 05-19-2019 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by hummiscorvettetaken (Post 1599428373)
They were annual BC Provincial inspection decals, I believe the last time I took my car through the inspection before they were shut down was around 1977, I went to the inspection center on Minoru Blvd in Richmond. You would drive through a building (similar to an air-care center) and they would check your headlight alignment and other safety features. If you passed they put the decal on the window and if you failed you had to bring your car back with the issue fixed. They would scrape off the previous years decal and replace with a new one. Its nice to see them still on some old windshields, I would want to try to keep it also!

This is really what I was curious about, I was born in 69 so was not driving by the time they ended it
of I could reproduce it I would
but I’m happy to save what I have

hummiscorvettetaken 05-19-2019 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty60 (Post 1599428463)
This is really what I was curious about, I was born in 69 so was not driving by the time they ended it
of I could reproduce it I would
but I’m happy to save what I have

Yea I remember when you looked through the decal from inside of the car, the date was visible through the "holes" that were punched in the center.

Dodosmike 05-28-2019 09:24 AM

IMO somebody well versed in photoshop or a graphic design place could replicate that decal. Maybe even a place that does vehicle graphics

Maybe getting the logo right might be a challenge.