CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   M7 Z06 drivers: Notchy AM shifts? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4274259-m7-z06-drivers-notchy-am-shifts.html)

Big Lebowski 05-14-2019 08:15 PM

M7 Z06 drivers: Notchy AM shifts?

I’ve notice shifting the Manual trans on my Z06, is kinda notchy to borderline stubborn in the AM (when it’s cooler). Curious if anyone else experiences this? Sometimes I have to force into 1st gear and have trouble getting it to go smoothly into 2nd. I’ve even had it pop out of gear when launching from a stoplight, and occasionally need to push on the gear shift. It does seem to do better in the afternoon when it warms up. By comparison, my 2014 M7 Stingray was butter smooth but I’m wondering if the Z06 trans is “beefier” due to additional torque?

Higgs Boson 05-14-2019 08:46 PM

no should not do that

ssmith512 05-14-2019 08:56 PM

No, that doesnt right at all. My '19Z M7 does not exhibit said behavior.

EDIT: I will say my 2003 Cobra was always hard to get into gear when the tranny was cold. I eventually changed the tranny fluid to Redline tranny fluid. Never had a problem after that. Dont know if a simple fluid change might help your situation, but maybe something to research.

chasboland 05-14-2019 08:56 PM

Yeah I’ve had issues with this. Sometimes it doesn’t want to go all the way in so you have to sometimes trying to engage it twice. My only problem is getting it in the first year when stopped at a light or similar situation. I’ve Learned over three years of ownership when it is properly engaged. Kinda sucks..... what doesn’t happen all the time.

Big Lebowski 05-14-2019 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by chasboland (Post 1599403493)
Yeah I’ve had issues with this. Sometimes it doesn’t want to go all the way in so you have to sometimes trying to engage it twice. My only problem is getting it in the first year when stopped at a light or similar situation. I’ve Learned over three years of ownership when it is properly engaged. Kinda sucks..... what doesn’t happen all the time.

Yes, I get that too.

Bill Dearborn 05-14-2019 09:12 PM

It is normal. The Tremec transmissions do that. I had the same behavior in both of my C5s and my C6Z. Usually goes away within a mile of the vehicle starting to move.

Bill

Big Lebowski 05-14-2019 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1599403619)
It is normal. The Tremec transmissions do that. I had the same behavior in both of my C5s and my C6Z. Usually goes away within a mile of the vehicle starting to move.

Bill

Thanks Bill. Was hoping you’d have some insight. Greatly appreciated.

l2vette 05-14-2019 09:35 PM

As Bill said the Tremic is like just inherent to cold. (remember the Rock Crusher).
If you have not changed the tranny fluid try it, I noticed a big difference.

Mr. Gizmo 05-14-2019 10:15 PM

2017 2lz m7. Very smooth no notchy shifting cold or hot. The c6z was a little notchy below 20 degrees on the cold start.

killerv6 05-14-2019 10:20 PM

Tough shifting when cold

Originally Posted by ssmith512 (Post 1599403491)
No, that doesnt right at all. My '19Z M7 does not exhibit said behavior.

EDIT: I will say my 2003 Cobra was always hard to get into gear when the tranny was cold. I eventually changed the tranny fluid to Redline tranny fluid. Never had a problem after that. Dont know if a simple fluid change might help your situation, but maybe something to research.

I had a similar problem to once I change the tranny fluid to redline it seem to help it a lot

deplorable01 05-14-2019 11:48 PM

mine does it too when cold

CSevenGS 05-14-2019 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski (Post 1599403276)
I’ve notice shifting the Manual trans on my Z06, is kinda notchy to borderline stubborn in the AM (when it’s cooler). Curious if anyone else experiences this? Sometimes I have to force into 1st gear and have trouble getting it to go smoothly into 2nd. I’ve even had it pop out of gear when launching from a stoplight, and occasionally need to push on the gear shift. It does seem to do better in the afternoon when it warms up. By comparison, my 2014 M7 Stingray was butter smooth but I’m wondering if the Z06 trans is “beefier” due to additional torque?

There are a few different threads on this. It is nothing to worry about. Should consistently go away after a little heat in trans.

flying_vette 05-15-2019 05:08 AM

I thought my M7 1-2 shift was always notchy until I learned to grab and move the shifter 'the right way'. Cup the shifter in the middle of palm, move it back to neutral and then push it gently to left and then pull into 2nd...always a smooth transition. If you do pistol gripping, I felt shifter was notchy going into every gear as you are applying the unnecessary force.

Big Lebowski 05-15-2019 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by flying_vette (Post 1599404527)
I thought my M7 1-2 shift was always notchy until I learned to grab and move the shifter 'the right way'. Cup the shifter in the middle of palm, move it back to neutral and then push it gently to left and then pull into 2nd...always a smooth transition. If you do pistol gripping, I felt shifter was notchy going into every gear as you are applying the unnecessary force.

I appreciate the insight, but technique isn’t the issue. I have to be rather forceful to get it into first, so I’m already pushing into first with my palm (and yes the left), but “pistol” gripping it to get it to go into 2nd.

I was at Spring Mountain the beginning of March and the manual shifting was very smooth by comparison (I had forgotten about that visit) and the mornings were quite chilly...thought most of my wheel time was in a “warm” car.

I’m going in for an oil change next week, so I plan to have my dealer take a look. I talked to the Vette tech, and he claims on the 17’s some manuals were not adjusted properly to the neutral position at the factory during installation. That and new trans fluid might do the trick. We’ll see.

GOLD72 05-15-2019 01:02 PM

My M7 in my 2019 Z06 is the worst manual I have ever owned. Entering 2nd gear either on an upshift or downshift is usually notchy. When cold, it is literally two steps before you feel it truly in 2nd gear. I have ground the gears letting off the clutch several times in the past 12 months because it really wasn't in second gear. My 2011 ZR1 M6 and the M6s in my previous Z cars were far smoother. I am truly disappointed in this M7. I have 4 qts of Redline D4 that I plan to install soon in vain hope it improves shifting. Car has 6500 miles now.

need-for-speed 05-15-2019 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by GOLD72 (Post 1599406566)
My M7 in my 2019 Z06 is the worst manual I have ever owned. Entering 2nd gear either on an upshift or downshift is usually notchy. When cold, it is literally two steps before you feel it truly in 2nd gear. I have ground the gears letting off the clutch several times in the past 12 months because it really wasn't in second gear. My 2011 ZR1 M6 and the M6s in my previous Z cars were far smoother. I am truly disappointed in this M7. I have 4 qts of Redline D4 that I plan to install soon in vain hope it improves shifting. Car has 6500 miles now.

As Bill Dearborn mentioned, it’s not a new issue. My C6 Z51 does it when cold. Not hard to get into first, but notchy on the 1-2 shift when cold. Mine clears up after just a couple of miles. Until warm d up, I double clutch the 1-2 shift and it’s smooth.

atljar 05-15-2019 02:41 PM

As others have mentioned, Redline D4 made this issue drastically better for me.

RegnaR 05-15-2019 04:14 PM

M7 has the same feel as my C6z, the first few 1-2 shirts are tough when the car is cold. Can just shift to third if you are driving around town and skip second.

VinceBlack 05-15-2019 04:34 PM

I had this issue in both my '16 Stingray and current '15 Z06. In both cases, a switch to a MGW shifter and Redline fluid helped quite a bit.

redrider28075 05-15-2019 09:20 PM

Shifting

My 17 Z is the same as yours. When it's warmed up its perfect for me.I enjoyed driving with you at spring mountain we had a blast out there. Take care and enjoy your z. David S.