CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Politics, Religion & Controversy (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/politics-religion-and-controversy-88/)
-   -   America's largest cities drowning in debt (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/politics-religion-and-controversy/4274260-americas-largest-cities-drowning-in-debt.html)

GreyHawk 05-14-2019 08:17 PM

America's largest cities drowning in debt

America's largest cities drowning in debt, with Chicago leading the way, study finds

America’s 10 largest cities, largely Democrat strongholds, are drowning in municipal debt, according to a new report from government watchdog Truth in Accounting.

The report sought out “to determine what ... overlapping financial entities mean for taxpayers’ bottom line.” Truth in Accounting said its purpose was to “calculate the various bills (and surpluses, when available) at the city government level and divide them out to determine a per-Taxpayer Burden.”

The two cities with the highest burden: Chicago and New York City; Chicago’s combined taxpayer burden: $119,110; New York City’s combined taxpayer burden: $85,600.

America’s 10 largest cities are drowning in municipal debt, with Chicago, pictured, leading the way, according to a new report from government watchdog Truth in Accounting. (iStock, File)

Chicago has been a hotbed for such burdens.

The Chicago City Council approved $2.4 billion in tax subsidies for two major developments in early April. Protesters gathered at City Hall chanting against the deals. Critics said the projects are in prosperous parts of Chicago and developers should pay for infrastructure improvements, not taxpayers.

• Chicago’s combined Taxpayer Burden: $119,110
  • New York City’s combined Taxpayer Burden: $85,600
  • Los Angeles’ combined Taxpayer Burden: $56,390
  • Philadelphia’s combined Taxpayer Burden: $50,120
  • San Jose’s combined Taxpayer Burden: $43,120
  • San Diego’s combined Taxpayer Burden: $35,410
  • Dallas’ combined Taxpayer Burden: $33,490
  • Houston’s combined Taxpayer Burden: $22,940
  • San Antonio’s combined Taxpayer Burden: $16,660
  • Phoenix’s combined Taxpayer Burden: $13,290 ​​​​​​

More at link

Poppa Bud 05-14-2019 08:29 PM

I could never live there. :ack:

IBLATB. :D

su8pack1 05-14-2019 08:39 PM

I wonder if any of those cities are controlled by Republicans?

69L46 05-14-2019 08:48 PM

I think the OP means America's largest Democratic sanctuary cities.

Here's the supporting data from the Forbes piece. Truly an eye-opener.

Big City Residents Have A Much Heavier Taxpayer Burden Than They Realize

LarsAtTheBeach 05-14-2019 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Poppa Bud (Post 1599403366)
I could never live there. :ack:

IBLATB. :D

:thumbs: :rofl:

Cygnus 05-14-2019 09:05 PM

How did San Crapcisco not make the top 10 list? Our liberals must not be working hard enough.

65Z01 05-14-2019 10:10 PM

I wonder if those numbers are actually per tax-payer or really per resident.

Christian66LEO 05-14-2019 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by GreyHawk (Post 1599403293)

all shithole liberal bastions..........

Tennis & Golf Nut 05-14-2019 10:56 PM

Chicago #1 Murder Capital

Chicago #1 Debt

At least we're #1 in something. :leaving:

KarlK 05-14-2019 11:35 PM

for Phoenix it's probably $200,000, they didn't count the illegals, only come voting time

tnvette2 05-15-2019 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Christian66LEO (Post 1599403917)
all shithole liberal bastions..........

:yesnod:

mrvette 05-15-2019 06:54 AM

Like it or not, one way or another, guess what?? ALL debt in this nation WILL be declared null and void some day soon enough the computers reset, then plastic money restarted.......most of the billionaires will be wiped out.....so tough shit for the liberals.....

no more .gov credit on anything, period......

want to go fight some useless stupid war on some region of the world to defend your business interests, go hire your own army Mr. Exon, Ford, GM, Cat, Banker......

Axelrod 05-15-2019 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by su8pack1 (Post 1599403413)

None.

The listed cities have had dem controlled legislatures for decades

Mcrider 05-15-2019 07:13 AM

FUCK every last one of them. They elected the assholes that buried them in debt, so let them suffer the consequences.

mrvette 05-15-2019 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mcrider (Post 1599404722)
FUCK every last one of them. They elected the assholes that buried them in debt, so let them suffer the consequences.

HEHEHEHA HAHAHA WHAT consequences?? so they elect a new city .gov so what??

the new guy just laughs and has to admit the same reality....BK for the city.....all debts are declared null and void.....

BobG 05-15-2019 08:39 AM

All a small price to pay for the glory of liberalism, and all of the evil, oppression, perversion, and misery it has brought to every society in the history of man.

No liberal cares about things like that, as that is all "other people's money". And they won't be working to pay it off anyway, they have their "free stuff" and don't have to worry about it.

Range_Rat 05-15-2019 10:26 AM

Looks like a great list of places NOT to consider for residency.

It's funny (and worth noting) that the states that these cities are located in ALSO have fiscal problems (current and emerging) ranging from significant to severe.

Snoopysvet 05-15-2019 10:29 AM

San Diego was the last big city in California to turn from reasonable governance to insanity. Having a strong military presence has kept San Diego from sliding down the rabbit hole.

The past ten years have been a nightmare, we went from a mayor (Bob Filner) who could not keep himself from groping woman to Kevin Faulconer a RHINO if I have ever seen one. Faulconer could not even manage to keep a football team in this city.

The past few years our city council has gone full Libtard, we are a few years behind LA and San Fran. In the past five years we have had a tremendous amout of homeless people. Every major intersection has homeless people asking for money.

Housing developers have been vilivied in the past hence there has been very little housing starts, then the price of housing goes up, rents go up and the solution? More taxes to help the homeless! (They call this a sunshine tax, cute)

In February the city council removed restrictions from people living in their cars, now there are parked cars and campers all over the place, dumping sewage on the streets, acousting people for money etc. Yesterday the city council reversed itself from the backlash and is now designating certain areas of the city where you can live in your car. Prop 47 made things worse.

I am 60 years old and I will not retire in this state, I will take my money and move elsewhere.

919cw313 05-15-2019 11:34 AM

Just give the typical lib solution--raise taxes, that'll fix it.

'Shifter 05-15-2019 11:37 AM

Phoenix is largely republican, but things are changing as more commie Kalifornians look for a new state to destroy.