CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   91 transmission leak in reverse (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4274271-91-transmission-leak-in-reverse.html)

ab5397 05-14-2019 09:03 PM

91 transmission leak in reverse

4 Attachment(s)
Please help!!!!! Bought a 91 corvette for my sons first car(I know, either dad of the year or worst dad ever). Drove it home 300 miles without many issues. Been driving it pretty much daily since then and have not seen one drop of transmission fluid in garage, it does have a small oil leak(never added fluid). I check fluid on it every few days. We have put a little over 2000 miles on it. 4 days ago my wife backs it out of garage to go get my son from school and it leaves a distinct trail of transmission fluid down driveway to street then dissipates as she drives off. I initially thought it was my other sons jeep. I was quite concerned to learn it was the vett. I have a small flexible camera and I use it to “loosely” pinpoint the leak to the passenger side front of pan. Fluid levels still well within range. I’m not a transmission guy so I take it to a local transmission shop that I think/thought was reputable. Shop puts it on lift, calls me a few days later and says it has a pan leak and it’s $140.00 to fix. I ask if this includes new filter and they say no, there is nothing wrong with the one in it. They do state they see metal shavings in pan but play it off saying all pans have metal in them. I insist on new filter. Call me when done and says $160.00 and come get it. Happy days😎. Says it is shifting in the time parameters??? But is “soft shifting”. I ask if this is normal and they tell me it’s nothing to worry about right now.?? I’m on shift a firehouse so wife and oldest son go to get car. Shop tells wife that it will need a new transmission due to all the metal they found and to drive it till it breaks🤔😱. Anyway, good enough for my son... oldest gets in it to drive home and now has a battery light on (hoping just an unfortunate coincidence). As a result of battery issue I have son drive to firehouse to check volt system. Sits at idle in bay for 10 minutes while I try to determine if I need new alternator. I check transmission pan and it is clean and I see no leaks😎👍. Son says drove like it always has on way over. Sons pulls out of bay and same problem 🤬🤯! Leaves a trail of transmission fluid as it backs out, he put in forward and drives away with no problems and leak seems to stop. He gets home and checks fluid and it is within parameters. There is no fluid on ground where it was just idling for 10 minutes. HELP!!! What is wrong, has anyone ever had this issue? I am not happy to say the least, and very hesitant to take back to shop. Called and they say bring it back in. I explain it’s doing the same thing (I told them before it seemed worst in reverse) and they say maybe the case is cracked because it doesn’t make sense it would leak more in reverse. Is it safe to assume they didn’t do a full diagnostic on the transmission. Any and all help is appreciated.

C409 05-16-2019 07:59 AM

….. The only place that I can imagine that kind of a leak coming from is from the dipstick tube grommet … where the tube goes into the case … front passenger side location and rear motion of the car sloshing the fluid in that direction …..