CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Help deciding? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4274426-help-deciding.html)

onetechyguy 05-15-2019 10:34 AM

Help deciding?

Need some help, opinions deciding before placing order this month.

Base 2lt 7m, maybe magride——cheapest car while still great for street use, easiest to maintain.

Base 2lt W/Z51, magride, 7M.——slightly better performance, handling car, a little harder to maintain but could be the best compromise.

GS——not really considering it. I feel if I were to go wide body I would just get a Z06.

Z06 1lz, 7M——a lot more expensive, higher insurance. 650HP! Overkill on the street IMO but I do see plenty of women and older men buying them.

I’m leanings toward either the 1st or second option because it will be street driven and I want to get the most car for the money without spending for options or power I cant really use. I dont want to have regrets but I see plenty of women, older men buying Z06’s and now feel like i’m settling for less if I dont get a Z06? Lol. Thoughts?

ChiefBoats 05-15-2019 10:41 AM

Tough call, hard to recommend and I really can't offer any advise, just depends on your style.

I did have the '14 Stingray with the Z-51 option package, was quite happy with that for a while, but coming from a wide body C6, missed that. So waited for the '16 Z06. Both the '14 and '16 are nice cars, but two different animals.

Good luck with your pick.

us3rname 05-15-2019 11:01 AM

As far as maintenance goes they aren't really that much different from each other. Biggest cost differences I can think of during routine maintenance would be between dry/wet sump oil change cost, tires and brakes if you got the carbon ceramics. otherwise it should relatively remain the same cost and frequency for trans, diff, coolant ect. If I were doing it all over again I'd get a used GS and do the lt4 blower on it at a later date like I did the stingray.

Vet Interested 05-15-2019 12:05 PM

Don't worry about what other people are buying. Get what YOU feel will make you happy. If you think you will suffer horsepower envy getting option 1 or 2, then get the ZO6. I am looking at a base 2LT. I don't want or need the Z51. A ZO6 is serious overkill for me (but what a blast to drive) as is the cost. Sounds like one of the first two options fits your needs.

lakemg 05-15-2019 12:09 PM

Love my Z51 and have no desire to replace it with any other C7 option...

wlittle49 05-15-2019 12:21 PM

I may be incorrect but when the GS model came out the popularity of the Z51 performance package diminished. IMO you get the most bang for the buck with the GS over the Z51 package. I have the base Stingray which has the F1 smooth ride suspension and I wanted the car for touring and that is exactly what I have.

hummiscorvettetaken 05-15-2019 12:26 PM

AND which one will you be satisfied admiring in your garage when not out driving it? a lot of reflection goes in to your purchase when looking at it through the winter!

Akcajunz 05-15-2019 12:28 PM

I'm 55 years old, I purchased a 2017 2LT Stingray with mag ride, NPP, HUD and a few other goodies. I never plan to track my car so Z51 would have been a waste for me. The base is plenty of HP for street use. But as someone else mentioned...get what feels right for you. You are about to spend a lot of money on a car...you dont want regrets about it down the road. People ask me all the time, "why didn't you get the Z06?" I tell them "Ever since I was a kid my bucket list car has always been a StingRay, So I bought a StingRay!" After owning it for a little over a year now, 9600 miles, I still feel like a little kid every time I sit behind the wheel. Good Luck with your purchase, post pics when you have it!

mschuyler 05-15-2019 12:34 PM

Buy what you want and like. You have choices, so make them. If you are unsure, study the issue. Don't depend on us.

HOWSER 05-15-2019 12:37 PM

If a Z06 falls in your budget you should do it. No such thing as overkill.

MSG C5 05-15-2019 01:08 PM

I must fall into the old man demographic although they say 50 is the "new" 40. :D

If you're even considering the Z06 at this point, you will probably regret not getting it. Sure it's street overkill, however it's fantastic when tracked (no problems with my 2019 M7 overheating) and even when cruising the streets, the ARM downshift bark combined with the Borla X-pipe roar is worth the price of admission. I luv driving this car!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1adb41d4c.jpeg

onetechyguy 05-15-2019 01:11 PM

Nice wheels MSG! Are those the spectra grey?

MSG C5 05-15-2019 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by onetechyguy (Post 1599406609)
Nice wheels MSG! Are those the spectra grey?

Thanks. They are Forgeline AR1s in Transparent Smoke finish. Stock sizes. I kept my OEM wheels and Cup tires for track days.

Iconic 05-15-2019 02:03 PM

Use the 2LT Z51 as your number 1 pick.

Then ask yourself if you want to spend $5000 less - 2LT base...or $5000 more - a 1LT GS that has mag ride included.

Nice problem to have, good luck!

dave_2012_tt 05-15-2019 02:11 PM

My vote is z51 with mag ride. I would suggest getting PDR as well. I am new to the forum but it appears to me the GS and ZO6 have rim issues....since z51 is forged and smaller foot print it appears not to have the issue. but again I am new.

onetechyguy 05-15-2019 02:36 PM

Yep, I’m leaning towards the z51 with magride for the same reasons. Was considering the pdr at first but I don’t plan to track it much if at all. Not sure how much use I would get out of it but it is cool

Big Lebowski 05-15-2019 02:41 PM

First choice, get the Grand Sport. Not sure why you are not considering it.
2nd choice, get the Z51.

Kevin A Jones 05-15-2019 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by onetechyguy (Post 1599405692)
Need some help, opinions deciding before placing order this month.

Base 2lt 7m, maybe magride——cheapest car while still great for street use, easiest to maintain.

Base 2lt W/Z51, magride, 7M.——slightly better performance, handling car, a little harder to maintain but could be the best compromise.

GS——not really considering it. I feel if I were to go wide body I would just get a Z06.

Z06 1lz, 7M——a lot more expensive, higher insurance. 650HP! Overkill on the street IMO but I do see plenty of women and older men buying them.

I’m leanings toward either the 1st or second option because it will be street driven and I want to get the most car for the money without spending for options or power I cant really use. I dont want to have regrets but I see plenty of women, older men buying Z06’s and now feel like i’m settling for less if I dont get a Z06? Lol. Thoughts?

Base 2lt W/Z51, magride, 7M. > For just $3200 more you can have a GS and everything that includes. See below.
Both Stingray and Grandsport are Great sportscars, Choice as to which to purchase depends how much you like the wide-body look and how much you value the performance/handling/breaking aspects. Z51 addresses the performance factor to an extent if you don't care for wide-body.

GS——not really considering it.
There's basically (3) reasons the Grand Sport is appealing to so many:

The beautiful and exotic wide-body look is VERY POPULAR.

The exceptional marrying of power-handling-braking makes the over-all Grand Sport driving experience among that of the very finest sportscars in the world.

The GS package offers the most bang for the buck of any C7 package.

Z16 GS Performance Package features ($10,000): Specific front fender inserts; Z06 style grill; wider rear fenders; front splitter; rocker skirts, additional brake cooling vents and wickerbill rear spoiler; GS CUP-style wheels; Michelin super-sport summer only tires (P285/30ZR19” front, P33525ZR20” rear); 6-piston front and 4-pison front Bremo brakes; Slotted brake rotors; Magnetic Ride Control and Electronic Limited-slip differential; NPP exhaust, Dry-sump oil system; Rear differential cooler; transmission cooler.

Z51 Performance Package features ($5,000): Performance brakes; Black painted calibers; Slotted brake rotors; Dry sump oil system; Z51 performance package, specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars; NPP exhaust; performance gear ratios, Electronic Limited-slip differential; Rear differential cooler; transmission cooler and Areo package. Note: Magnetic Ride Control adds $1800 to $5000 Z51 cost.
Z06 1lz, 7M > Like you say A LOT more $$$
Z06 cost compared to base Stingray + $24,000 or $126.00 per HP
Z06 cost compared to Z51 + $19,000 or $100 per HP
Z06 cost compared to GS + $14,000 or $74.00 per HP

The extra HP is very expensive, especially if you aren't going to use it.

Of your choices, I would advise either the base Stingray or the GS depending on whether you prefer the narrow body or wide-body and extra performance, however only you can decide what you want and what you want to pay for.

Kevin A Jones 05-15-2019 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by dave_2012_tt (Post 1599406939)
My vote is z51 with mag ride. I would suggest getting PDR as well. I am new to the forum but it appears to me the GS and ZO6 have rim issues....since z51 is forged and smaller foot print it appears not to have the issue. but again I am new.

Originally Posted by onetechyguy (Post 1599407058)
Yep, I’m leaning towards the z51 with magride for the same reasons. Was considering the pdr at first but I don’t plan to track it much if at all. Not sure how much use I would get out of it but it is cool

Of course to each their own, however for just an extra $3200 over Z51 w/mag-ride, the Grandsport and all that includes is a no brainer.

saleen556 05-15-2019 03:07 PM

If you can afford the Z get it. It’s better to have the power and not need it. If one doesn’t have the power there will always be that occasion you wish you did.

There is someone here with a Stingray I believe. His son got a Z and he drove it. He had been saying he wished he hadn’t drove it because his car now felt slow.