CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Autocrossing & Roadracing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing-23/)
-   -   Newb with a dumb question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/autocrossing-and-roadracing/4274486-newb-with-a-dumb-question.html)

Old School 05-15-2019 01:45 PM

Newb with a dumb question

Couple quick questions I haven't seen mentioned before. Signed up for my first track day at NJMP in June. Not sure what to expect. What I'd like to know is what do you do with all your stuff that you remove from the car? Are there lockers or something? I will bring extra oil, brake fluid, I'll throw some tools in a bag, a small cooler with drinks . . anything else I should bring?
Also I have a C5Z with a trunk partition, if I screw this in place some how, do you think the tech inspectors would allow it to stay in the car?
Thanks

CJ Willys 05-15-2019 01:52 PM

I put smaller things in a covered box, then larger things piled together neatly. Trackers are honest folks, no one has ever touched my stuff. Usually there're groups of people all around, so make some friends. Tech inspectors will not like stuff in the car. It's a bad policy to carry loose items. I'm sure you'll see others leaving their stuff out. Trackers are 'old school'; All of America used to be 'honor system'.
Good luck. Have fun.

dclafleur 05-15-2019 01:55 PM

You don't want anything inside the car that isn't fastened down. I usually put a tarp in my trunk and when I get to the track I set everything on the tarp in the paddock nobody has ever bothered anything if for no other reason than they all have their stuff sitting out too. Bring snacks, sunblock and water/gatorade/hydrating beverage of choice. For your first time don't stress to much make sure the car is in good running shape and ready to run when you get there, relax and take your time getting comfortable on the track.

fuggles 05-15-2019 07:24 PM

I always bring a chair. Also I have a yoga mat that I put on the ground for my stuff to sit on. Shade is useful. Depending on the track I will bring my pop-up. If your partition is bolted to the car it should be fine. Anything that is not bolted needs to go out.

Old School 05-15-2019 08:05 PM

Thanks for the replies

fatsport 05-15-2019 08:23 PM

First big braking zone and everything under your seat will launch forward. I’ve heard stories of guns and golf balls that have ended up in the pedals.

argonaut 05-16-2019 08:37 AM

The most important tools to bring are torque wrench and socket to check your lug nuts and air pressure gauge. Other than that, if you were to have some issue, there are always guys with everything you'll need and very willing to help out. If forecast shows any chance of rain make sure you bring a tarp to cover you stuff up with. Which track are you on? Thunderbolt has garages but Lightning has precious little cover (from sun or rain)

Racingswh 05-16-2019 08:44 AM

Who did you sign up with in June? MOE on the 10th and 11th?

rocsvette 05-16-2019 09:14 AM

20 years of track, no problems. I do bring a small container to hold the small everyday odds & ends from the car, not for security just to corral them. As an instructor I’ve gotten into students’ cars with EZPass on the window, things stuffed under the seat, cell phone sitting on consoles, etc. worst was in a 4 seat car and in the back on the floor was a box of tissues that I couldn’t see when I got in the front. Since we drive with windows down the box slid back from under front seat and then the tissues were sucked out and flew forward momentarily blinding me and the student. We came controlled off track quickly before it became serious. So clean out the car and loose things in a glove box or console are not safe either, those lids can fly open and then you have loose missiles flying around.

synner 05-16-2019 11:52 AM

Waterproof rubbermaid container for tools. Then food and water. Definitely a chair. Shade is nice if you can fit it in the car for the hot days but is frustrating on the windy days. I've never had anyone screw with my stuff but can't say it won't happen ever. Unless you have a lockable enclosed trailer you have to have faith in humanity which is always a scary thing.

Old School 05-16-2019 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Racingswh (Post 1599410942)
Who did you sign up with in June? MOE on the 10th and 11th?

I signed with NJMP track day on the 13th, progressive paced laps - beginner on Thunderbolt track to get my feet wet. I'll have to look into Motorsports Enthusiasts
I appreciate all the tips.

Racingswh 05-16-2019 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Old School (Post 1599413203)
I signed with NJMP track day on the 13th, progressive paced laps - beginner on Thunderbolt track to get my feet wet. I'll have to look into Motorsports Enthusiasts
I appreciate all the tips.

You will have a great time!! Thunderbolt is a fun spot and a decent place for your first time. As I recall Track Days are hosted by NJMP and run through the Skip Barber racing school. You will get great instruction at the event. I am not sure you could have picked a better way to experience your first time on track there.

Have a blast!!

NiceGuySanti 05-16-2019 07:32 PM

I throw a trunk organizer in the trunk of the car, all my stuff fits in there minus a small cooler and a chair.
I got it on Amazon - type this their search:
Rola 59001 M.O.V.E. Rigid-Base Trunk Organizer, Customizable Storage, Removable (Black)

I also bring a handful of heavy duty black garbage bags in case of rain, If it rains I place the tote inside the garbage bags and tuck the open end under the tote, everything in the tote stays dry that way.