CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   Clay bar (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/4274662-clay-bar.html)

TrippleH 05-15-2019 10:50 PM

Clay bar

Anyone on here ever do the clay bar then a simple coat of wax over it?

FYRARMS 05-16-2019 12:16 AM

Never. Clay bars remove contaminants but usually slightly mar the surface. I never clay unless I am planning on machine polishing afterwards.

BurntNoodle 05-16-2019 07:44 AM

I always follow up a clay with a machine polish.

HTH

John

vader86 05-16-2019 08:44 AM

I have yes, I polish afterwards now, before waxing.

TrippleH 05-16-2019 08:51 AM

So, that's what I was asking. If you clay it then, put a wax job on, is that the best way to go about doing a full detail? What are you guys using instead of clay?

BurntNoodle 05-16-2019 08:54 AM

My order of operations is this:

Wash
Clay
Wash
Polish - depending on swirls might need 2 different polishes
Then either finish with a wax or do a sealant
If you did a sealant then finish that with a wax.

endus 05-16-2019 10:02 AM

Apparently an incredibly controversial opinion (which is hilarious to me) but I only clay areas which require it. Great to remove surface contaminates like tar, not something I would ever do blindly to the whole car. Polishing is better and safer and far, far more worth your time.

TrippleH 05-16-2019 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by endus (Post 1599411403)
Apparently an incredibly controversial opinion (which is hilarious to me) but I only clay areas which require it. Great to remove surface contaminates like tar, not something I would ever do blindly to the whole car. Polishing is better and safer and far, far more worth your time.

Makes sense, 12 years ago I used to clay bar my Camaro and didn't know if there was anything else out that was better. Other than the front bumper which has many many bug spots on it that washing won't get em off, she's fairly clean. What kind of polish and wax you guys using?

FYRARMS 05-16-2019 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by endus (Post 1599411403)

This. I only clay when I need to. Because my cars are well-protected and maintained, I rarely need to clay anyway. A simple iron remover pretty much removes anything that washing doesn't remove.

vader86 05-16-2019 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by TrippleH (Post 1599410999)
So, that's what I was asking. If you clay it then, put a wax job on, is that the best way to go about doing a full detail? What are you guys using instead of clay?

Before I started using ceramic coatings, I'd clay once a year if I felt the roughness of the paint tell me it was needed, then maybe a layer of #7 before a layer of #26 wax. I'd polish panels that needed it.

Sometimes, just iron/tar remover is all that you need, not the clay. Feel the paint.

Now to prep for a coating and the correct prep for a full detail, only the last step changes. Wash, clay, iron/tar removal sprays, machine polish with Jescar Compound and/or Finishing Polish, then you can either wax, seal, or ceramic coat.

Wax every 2-3 months and you may not need the clay done in a year's time. Ceramics last years so I'll go years before I'll do this process over again.