CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Interesting find (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4274688-interesting-find.html)

58VetteBoy 05-16-2019 12:24 AM

Interesting find

So for the past 6 months I've been planning a huge remodeling/addition project to my house. The main part which is a garage extension/remodel and the removal of the apron to my driveway to make it curb less. I told my neighbor that I was planning this project so that I could eventually buy a Corvette to put in the extension. I told him I was looking for a 85 to 89 low mileage Corvette. The second I said that he told me how a friend texted him in February saying that he came across a Corvette in someone's shed (my neighbor thought it was around the year range I was looking for). To make a long story short my neighbor walked over yesterday and said that his friend texted him back about this Corvette. It's a 1987 Red Coupe with 12,800 original miles on it. My neighbor said if I was interested in it that his friend would bring it to him. I saw pictures of it and it looks pretty nice. I don't necessarily need a Corvette right now (especially since my garage will be out of commission for about 60 days but also an additional cost on top of the multiple projects I have going on) but I couldn't have even dreamed of a better scenario then this. Thoughts? I'm pretty well versed on C4's but am always looking for a good deal. What are some things I need to pay attention to with a low mileage C4 that has been stored most of it's life?

ZHammer 05-16-2019 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by 58VetteBoy (Post 1599410147)
So for the past 6 months I've been planning a huge remodeling/addition project to my house. The main part which is a garage extension/remodel and the removal of the apron to my driveway to make it curb less. I told my neighbor that I was planning this project so that I could eventually buy a Corvette to put in the extension. I told him I was looking for a 85 to 89 low mileage Corvette. The second I said that he told me how a friend texted him in February saying that he came across a Corvette in someone's shed (my neighbor thought it was around the year range I was looking for). To make a long story short my neighbor walked over yesterday and said that his friend texted him back about this Corvette. It's a 1987 Red Coupe with 12,800 original miles on it. My neighbor said if I was interested in it that his friend would bring it to him. I saw pictures of it and it looks pretty nice. I don't necessarily need a Corvette right now (especially since my garage will be out of commission for about 60 days but also an additional cost on top of the multiple projects I have going on) but I couldn't have even dreamed of a better scenario then this. Thoughts? I'm pretty well versed on C4's but am always looking for a good deal. What are some things I need to pay attention to with a low mileage C4 that has been stored most of it's life?

Sounds interesting.

slow_zo6 05-16-2019 08:00 AM

That would depend. Is he asking an unrealistic number considering the low miles?

58VetteBoy 05-16-2019 08:17 AM

No I believe he is asking $11k.

novaks47 05-16-2019 08:59 AM

Has it been maintained and at least warmed up and driven once in a while, or has it just sat there with old fluids?

Y-bodluvr 05-16-2019 09:33 AM

I don’t think $11k is that bad a price for an 87 with that low of mileage if everything is perfect etc but $11k can get you any year base C4 with mid-low miles and mid mile C5’s and they arethe newer better cars than an 87 so if you’re looking for a corvette

the decision pretty much is more classic/lower miles/nicer condition vs more modern /better car/higher miles/maybe not as nice condition, I personally like the 87’s interior better specifically the digital dash better than any late C4-C5 so that can be another plus for the 87

RetroGuy 05-16-2019 09:59 AM

That '87 is technically a 32 year old "classic" Corvette. If it's running well in good condition, along with those reported low miles, it's a steal at that price!

81c3 05-16-2019 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by 58VetteBoy (Post 1599410834)
No I believe he is asking $11k.

Offer 9, settle at 10...

Areas of concern for me would be...rubber brake lines, tires, shocks, fuel system (pump, filter, injectors), weather strip condition....:cheers:

DGXR 05-16-2019 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Y-bodluvr (Post 1599411216)
I don’t think $11k is that bad a price for an 87 with that low of mileage if everything is perfect etc but $11k can get you any year base C4 with mid-low miles and mid mile C5’s and they arethe newer better cars than an 87 so if you’re looking for a corvette. The decision pretty much is more classic/lower miles/nicer condition vs more modern /better car/higher miles/maybe not as nice condition, I personally like the 87’s interior better specifically the digital dash better than any late C4-C5 so that can be another plus for the 87

Exactly. It is a buyer's market, for sure. Asking $11k for a 1987... I would expect everything in near pristine condition, with all original documentation (window sticker, etc.) and receipts for all maintenance and other services. And new tires.

kael 05-18-2019 06:45 PM

Key item is the paint. That and rebuilding the engine are the biggest cost items, as far as I know. Maybe a tranny rebuild too. The rest isn't bad for the home mechanic. In $$$ that is, there will be cussing when working on a car or anything else for time to time. :D