CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Leaking A-pillar (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4274866-leaking-a-pillar.html)

RiCorvette 05-16-2019 02:17 PM

Leaking A-pillar

My 2017 GS Windshield was replaced under warranty (Delaminated along the top edge).
The subcontracted Installer did a poor job of reinstalling the weatherstripping and created a leak (no leak prior to work) at the bottom of the Passenger side A Pillar (wet there and down along the right footwell side and floor, close to the door)

Subcontractor came back and fussed around with it, but did not eliminate the leak.
Took it to the Dealer and a Tech and I fussed around with it and and put the weatherstripping back into places that the Subcontractor missed, but the leak persists, but not as bad as at first.

Dealer and Subcontractor now refuse to do further work to correct the issue (vehicle was not purchased from this dealer, but they are the closest and did work on my previous cars)

I found this Vid on replacing the windshield to help guide me in removing and replacing the A Pillar Trim and Weatherstripping in an attempt to remedy and eliminate the leak, but Body Work is not a strong suit so I'm looking for a Windshield Installer to come and try to finish the job and try to eliminate the leak.

Can anyone recommend a qualified installer that I can Hire and that works in the SoCaL East 562 (Lakewood/Long Beach) or West 714 (Buena Park) Area Codes?

Or should I just call Safelite?

RiCorvette 05-16-2019 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1599413567)
Union workers built your C7!

So? :confused2: It din't leak until after the Windshield was replaced by a presumably non-union worker

DjCritterus 05-16-2019 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by RiCorvette (Post 1599413684)
So? :confused2: It din't leak until after the Windshield was replaced by a presumably non-union worker

The Janus ruling ruined your car. :yesnod:

The Creeper 05-16-2019 03:48 PM

Call Safelight, they can fix it.

bogdan_p 05-16-2019 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by The Creeper (Post 1599413715)
Call Safelight, they can fix it.

Safelite couldn't fix a sandwich.

PatternDayTrader 05-16-2019 06:32 PM

Do you have access to compressed air and a blow gun ?
If yes, then position the blow gun nozzle on the inside perimeter of the windshield, and blast it with compressed air.
If there is a skip in the urethane bed, you will hear it, and maybe feel it, on the outside of the car. If this isn't the issue, then the glass people are not going to be able to help.

This is your one technical advice freebie.

KenHorse 05-16-2019 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by bogdan_p (Post 1599413727)

Actually, I've had good luck with them, with 3 different 'vettes...

RiCorvette 05-16-2019 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1599414687)
Do you have access to compressed air and a blow gun ?
If yes, then position the blow gun nozzle on the inside perimeter of the windshield, and blast it with compressed air.
If there is a skip in the urethane bed, you will hear it, and maybe feel it, on the outside of the car. If this isn't the issue, then the glass people are not going to be able to help.

This is your one technical advice freebie.

I'm reasonably sure the fault lies with improper re-installation of the weatherstripping - I'm looking for someone to remove and reinstall the weatherstripping, and checking for possible damage.

PatternDayTrader 05-16-2019 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by RiCorvette (Post 1599414849)
I'm reasonably sure the fault lies with improper re-installation of the weatherstripping - I'm looking for someone to remove and reinstall the weatherstripping, and checking for possible damage.

Yeah if its a weather strip issue, I doubt the glass people will be helpful.

RiCorvette 05-16-2019 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader (Post 1599414922)
Yeah if its a weather strip issue, I doubt the glass people will be helpful.

As stated in my OP - it started leaking after a replacement windshield was installed, but after halfhearted attempts, neither the dealer nor the glass installer will set it right.

Glass Installer, Body Repairman, General Mechanic - whatever. I'm just looking to hire someone with experience to remove the weatherstripping and trim, then reinstalling and hopefully remedy the leak issue.

Luke42_02 05-16-2019 09:21 PM

If this leak is dripping off the obd port onto your leg, it’s the A-pillar. You need a new one. Commonly damaged by installers

RiCorvette 05-16-2019 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Luke42_02 (Post 1599415604)
If this leak is dripping off the obd port onto your leg, it’s the A-pillar. You need a new one. Commonly damaged by installers

Thanks, but...
as stated in the OP - Passenger Side A Pillar

CandyRed77 05-16-2019 10:37 PM

When I was at the NCM Bash I overheard a conversation about replacing a windshield. Someone was giving a buddy of mine advice, as he just got a stone chip on the way there.
Apparently there are 3 clips on each A-pillar that need to be replaced when replacing the windshield. They are one-time use only. If not replaced there is a good chance for a leak. The guy that was telling about it had the same problem and it took him some time to sort it out. He said even the GM instructions don't mention it. I must admit I wasn't paying too much attention to it so don't really have all the details. Might be worth mentioning to the dealer, maybe they can dig into it. Good luck :thumbs:

Luke42_02 05-17-2019 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by RiCorvette (Post 1599415725)
Thanks, but...
as stated in the OP - Passenger Side A Pillar

Sorry, I should have been more precise in my wording. I did not mean to replace the A-pillar obviously, but the applique which covers the a-pillar. Although my leak was on the driver side, I would still check the passenger side applique to make sure there is no damage. Damage to the applique can cause a leak and is very easy to do during install

RiCorvette 04-14-2020 07:48 PM

Thread Resurrection

Looks like Luke42 and CandyRed 77 were on the right track as to the cause of my leak (post 14)

Advice and guidance is sought in crafting a letter to a Dealer's Principal to try to get reimbursement for costs incurred paying for a problem their subcontractor caused.
Would some kind souls look this over and offer suggestions?

"I hope this find you and your Family well.

This leaking problem on my 2017 C7 Grand Sport has been ongoing for about 1 1/2 years now, but I seem to have finally found a competent Service Facility to evaluate and remedy the problem.

Upon discovering the leak back in Oct-Nov 2018, I brought the car back to your shop, twice. The Subcontractor also looked at it twice, but failed to remedy the problem. Further attempts for redress and correction were rejected by both your service Dept and the Subcontractor and I was left to fend for myself.

J&D Corvette in Bellflower looked at my car today and confirmed what I have come to suspect; The Windshield Glass replaced under warranty was installed satisfactorily, however the Weather Strip (P/N 84367842) and Appliqué (P/N 23163510) re-installation was botched. Specifically, there are tears at the top corners of the rubber weather strip and the Passenger side A Pillar Appliqué was stress cracked, causing incomplete sealing and allowing a leak. Replacing the Weathers Strip and Appliqué has been quoted at $660, Parts and Labor.

The job was done under warranty by your Company and your Service Department chose to have an outside vendor do the work, I had no say in the matter.

Therefore, I want reimbursement for my expense and trouble. I will submit my bill to your Service Department. Will you kindly direct them submit it to your accounting department for reimbursement?

Best Regards
R"

TxLefty 04-14-2020 09:27 PM

Good Day:

My 2017 GS windshield was replaced under warranty, because of delamination along the top edge, on this date (Invoice #) by your dealership and/or a subcontractor hired by you for that task. Subsequent to that work being performed, the vehicle leaked at or around the passenger A pillar. Upon discovering the leak in Oct-Nov 2018, I returned the car twice to your shop to have the problem corrected. The subcontractor you choose also looked at it twice, and also failed to remedy the problem. Further attempts for redress and correction were rejected by both your Service Dept. and the subcontractor. At that point you left me to fend for myself.

After dealing with this problem on my 2017 C7 Grand Sport for what has stretched into 1 1/2 unfortunate years, I found a competent service facility to evaluate and remedy the problem.

As it turned out, the windshield glass, replaced under warranty, was installed satisfactorily. However, the Weather Strip (P/N 84367842) and Appliqué (P/N 23163510) re-installation was botched. Specifically, there are tears at the top corners of the rubber weather strip and the passenger side A pillar appliqué was stress cracked. The combination of these problems causing incomplete sealing and allowing a leak. Replacing the weather strip and appliqué has been quoted at $660, parts and labor. The noted problems and cost to correct them properly are documented by J&D Corvette of Bellflower in the information included.

Please reimburse me $660.00 for the expenses involved in correcting the errors made in your initial work and lack of correction upon further attempts. I appreciate your prompt attention to this matter. If you have any questions regarding the foregoing, you may contact me at xxxxx.

Thank you,

xxxxxxx

The above FWIW. Based on your wording I assume the work has not been done yet. You need to provide detailed information from J&D with regard to the problems they found, pictures and estimates for proper repair. It needs to go the the GM or the owner.

~Stingray 04-14-2020 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by TxLefty (Post 1601325665)
Good Day:

My 2017 GS windshield was replaced under warranty, because of delamination along the top edge, on this date (Invoice #) by your dealership and/or a subcontractor hired by you for that task. Subsequent to that work being performed, the vehicle leaked at or around the passenger A pillar. Upon discovering the leak in Oct-Nov 2018, I returned the car twice to your shop to have the problem corrected. The subcontractor you choose also looked at it twice, and also failed to remedy the problem. Further attempts for redress and correction were rejected by both your Service Dept. and the subcontractor. At that point you left me to fend for myself.

After dealing with this problem on my 2017 C7 Grand Sport for what has stretched into 1 1/2 unfortunate years, I found a competent service facility to evaluate and remedy the problem.

As it turned out, the windshield glass, replaced under warranty, was installed satisfactorily. However, the Weather Strip (P/N 84367842) and Appliqué (P/N 23163510) re-installation was botched. Specifically, there are tears at the top corners of the rubber weather strip and the passenger side A pillar appliqué was stress cracked. The combination of these problems causing incomplete sealing and allowing a leak. Replacing the weather strip and appliqué has been quoted at $660, parts and labor. The noted problems and cost to correct them properly are documented by J&D Corvette of Bellflower in the information included.

Please reimburse me $660.00 for the expenses involved in correcting the errors made in your initial work and lack of correction upon further attempts. I appreciate your prompt attention to this matter. If you have any questions regarding the foregoing, you may contact me at xxxxx.

Thank you,

xxxxxxx

The above FWIW. Based on your wording I assume the work has not been done yet. You need to provide detailed information from J&D with regard to the problems they found, pictures and estimates for proper repair. It needs to go the the GM or the owner.

I agree with these changes and was going to suggest the same.

madrob2020 04-14-2020 11:12 PM

After 1 1/2yrs I think you’re out of luck. Not sure why you didn’t follow up with dealer/installer till it was fixed. I wish you luck tho.👍
MY FOLLOW UP: Reread OP post & realize he still hasn’t had this fixed. He only has an estimate of a “Maybe” fix. Asking dealer/installer to pay after 1 1/2yrs when it still hasn’t been done & since you didn’t seem to mind driving with it leaking is ridiculous. How do “they” know you won’t just pocket the money & perhaps it was fixed first time? Good lord I hate being this cynical but it does happen. JMO 🙈

23/C8Z 04-14-2020 11:33 PM

Didn't read whole read. I thought this issue upon windshield replacement was known? I heard of it already it was KEY in my decision to spend another 450 bucks for the Clearplex install on mine so I wouldn't have some monkey Chimpin up my A pillars and causing a Leak.

Sucks OP.

4thC4at60 04-15-2020 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by bogdan_p (Post 1599413727)

Beg to differ.... Safelite replaced windshields in two of my C4s, CTSV-Cadillac, C6, Corvette, and C7 Corvette - fine glass. Fine work.