CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   What the...my C7 GS is DEAD....NO!!!!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4275417-what-the-my-c7-gs-is-dead-no.html)

Huntman 05-17-2019 11:24 PM

What the...my C7 GS is DEAD....NO!!!!!

Good Afternoon All,

Yes, it is a good day, nothing fatal here! HOWEVER, with a beautiful morning in Arizona (Friday @ 8:30am), I felt it was time to hit the road and enjoy. After a few windy days recently, I was reeeeeeeeealing looking forward taking in the calm blue sky weather. OOOOPS, one "HUGE" problem, went to start my "Darling" with the key fob and "NOTHING-ZERO", dead as a rock. I have a 2017 GS Z07 low miles and wanted to hit the canyons ASAP and time was passing me by. I thought to myself, dead key fob battery, no big deal! Upon returning with a new Lithium battery for the Fob (Autozone) and after an easy install, I pressed the Fob button and "NOTHING-ZERO"!!! As my beautiful day was wasting away, patience was not my virtue....LOL!

Ok......, I popped my trunk with the key from my Fob and confirmed my suspicions: DEAD BATTERY (no lights, no electrical, NOTHING-ZERO)! Realizing the stock battery was hopefully the culprit, time to replace. Unsecuring the battery was a little time consuming, but removing the battery was a pain in the "ARSE" (a second pair of hands/buddy was a welcome relief). After removing the battery, I replaced it with a Duralast AGM Platinum ($215.00) & 900 CCA vs. 615 CCA from stock battery. After about 30 minutes, with my buddies assistance, my "Darling" fired right up (YAH.....OH YA!!!!!). Reprogramming the car was easy, instrument panel informs you how to proceed.....

Moral of this short story:

* Stock battery in Arizona heat = approx. 2 1/2 years.
* Get a buddy to help lift the stock battery (60 lbs) out of vehicle.
* Don't get pissed off.
* Install 30 minutes, minus trip to Autozone.
* Have gratitude for life/family and that you own/drive a Vette.

joemessman 05-18-2019 02:01 AM

Hi neighbor. Coincidentally, I replaced mine at 30 months. It was working good, but for the money I just simply replaced it rather than wait until it failed. I know how the heat plays with batteries around here. And I didn't do it myself. I would have a hard time lifting a barbell that weighed 60 lbs, let alone pulling the battery out of that hole in the trunk. :D

lavla 05-18-2019 03:42 AM

Hey guys, using a battery tender on a regular basis should get you way beyond 2.5 years for battery life. Unless you don't have a garage, the $25 investment (Black & Decker battery tender) would save you the money and time of having to replace the battery so soon. Just suggestion..:thumbs:

Mobil 1 05-18-2019 04:34 AM

Peeps from NJ just don't understand what AZ does to batteries. Between the low humidity and 118 degrees the average for batteries is about 2.5 years out here. I owned 2 shops in Jersey and I own a shop out here in AZ. I install easily 10 times more batteries out here in AZ.

RUSTYNKL 05-18-2019 07:57 AM

Yo Guys, use two vise grips on the battery posts and lift the battery out. IT WORKS

Dcasole 05-18-2019 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by RUSTYNKL (Post 1599422498)
Yo Guys, use two vise grips on the battery posts and lift the battery out. IT WORKS

Or a battery lifting strap ... cheap and safer

Dave

Allpro 05-18-2019 08:15 AM

question, is the battery not covered under a 3 year 36 month warranty or 36,000 miles? I ask because I had a SUV that was covered less than 36 months like 33 months and under 36,000 miles.

KenHorse 05-18-2019 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Allpro (Post 1599422557)
question, is the battery not covered under a 3 year 36 month warranty or 36,000 miles? I ask because I had a SUV that was covered less than 36 months like 33 months and under 36,000 miles.

Should be as part of the bumper-to-bumper warranty

kennyjames21 05-18-2019 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1599423040)
Should be as part of the bumper-to-bumper warranty

Yeah, unless you screwed with the battery somehow, theres no way a good battery goes dead that fast so it should be covered under the 3yr/36k mile warranty.

Vetteman Jack 05-18-2019 11:43 AM

Glad you got it fixed and were able to get the car out for a cruise, even if it was delayed a bit.

Harris 05-18-2019 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Mobil 1 (Post 1599422275)
Peeps from NJ just don't understand what AZ does to batteries. Between the low humidity and 118 degrees the average for batteries is about 2.5 years out here. I owned 2 shops in Jersey and I own a shop out here in AZ. I install easily 10 times more batteries out here in AZ.

Agreed, I lived in AZ for 9 years, wish we were still there, the heat kills batteries in 2+ years!! I didn’t understand it until living there.

ImpliedConsent 05-18-2019 12:17 PM

How ironic. Last night, my car "attempted" to start without success. I had "just" taken it off the CTEK charger and it showed good. I drove about 10miles, parked, came back out and dead. A random person offered this slick battery jump charger thing. It was the size of a wallet and hooked up easily with small alligator clamps. Started right up. Looking at the Optima H6 now or see if I can warranty.

Zjoe6 05-18-2019 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent (Post 1599423680)
How ironic. Last night, my car "attempted" to start without success. I had "just" taken it off the CTEK charger and it showed good. I drove about 10miles, parked, came back out and dead. A random person offered this slick battery jump charger thing. It was the size of a wallet and hooked up easily with small alligator clamps. Started right up. Looking at the Optima H6 now or see if I can warranty.

Where did you physically connect the jump start device? Up front or at the battery in back?

ImpliedConsent 05-18-2019 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Zjoe6 (Post 1599423714)
Where did you physically connect the jump start device? Up front or at the battery in back?

In the back. It clamp/hooked up easily to positive/negative ... pushed ignition button, started right up. I just ordered one. I won't get stuck like that again.

Huntman 05-18-2019 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Allpro (Post 1599422557)

Great question,

I wouldn't be surprised, but on this particular day I just wanted to get out on the road and let it rip!!! As time was a factor, I just traded in my stock Delco battery to Autozone, hurried back, warmed up my lower back and pulled that heavy "brick" out of the battery compartment (no fun!!); I will use straps next time!

One thing that I forgot to add......cover the right rear quarter panel with a heavy soft towel; no scratches on the paint!!!!!

Steve_R 05-18-2019 12:55 PM

You call your car Darling? :spit:

Just replaced the battery in my ‘14. It lasted just over 5 years.

xWS6guy 05-18-2019 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by lavla (Post 1599422249)
Hey guys, using a battery tender on a regular basis should get you way beyond 2.5 years for battery life. Unless you don't have a garage, the $25 investment (Black & Decker battery tender) would save you the money and time of having to replace the battery so soon. Just suggestion..:thumbs:

I ashamed to admit that I did not know this (nor did I every really think about it). Does this remain true if you drive your car frequently, like every day or every other day?

Even if true, I don't think there's much of anything that will significantly extend battery life here in AZ. I have three cars in the stable and it feels like all I do is change batteries. Costso does a good job of tracking warranty for you. I've walked out of there with a number of batteries without ever getting out my credit card.

Bavaria 05-18-2019 03:20 PM

As I had written in another post,car delivered 2/15, original battery. Also use Deltran battery tender if car is going to sit for more than two days. No problems so far.
Re: comment from AZ poster, I agree batteries here don't last much more than 2-3 years IF they're located under the hood, as has been my experience with my '07 Lexus.
Heat really isn't a factor for batteries located in a trunk (my previous BMW which went over 6 years on its original battery before the car was totalled) or the C7, in which the battery is not only located under the hatch, but also under carpeting. It just doesn't get that hot under the hatch regardless of the outside temp.

rmorin1249 05-18-2019 03:29 PM

My battery is coming up on 4 years old this July but our weather is much milder than AZ and my car is always connected to a CTEK whenever it is parked in my garage. I do have a question about the install. Did you hook up your car to one of those thingamajigs that keeps your memory settings? If not, did you have to reset your radio stations, seat settings, NAV settings etc.? Thanks.

Steve_R 05-18-2019 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by xWS6guy (Post 1599424302)
I ashamed to admit that I did not know this (nor did I every really think about it). Does this remain true if you drive your car frequently, like every day or every other day?

My battery lasted 5 years. I drive mine daily. The longest it’s ever been parked without starting it was a couple of weeks. I have a battery tender that came with the car; it’s never been used.