CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Will I regret this (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4277381-will-i-regret-this.html)

Romark 05-23-2019 11:31 AM

Will I regret this

Probably has been talked about before, however, My local dealer has a new Z06 I'm interested in. I've got a '18 Grand Sport that I bought used and I bought it right. They are giving me a really good trade in and with the taxes I save, it works out that I drove this Grand Sport for a year for $1,000. The color of my car (Admiral blue) is prettier to me than the Z06 is (Blade Silver). But the new one looks good too. Both cars have the same trim level. 2LT & 2LZ

I just dont know if I'm just wasting money due to HP envy. I've got a nice car but...

JDSKY 05-23-2019 11:53 AM

Drive the Z06 and then make a decision. With the discounts I have been shopping and deciding if I should move into a GS. This process quickly had me contemplating and looking at Z06's. In particular a nearly new one that is right down the road from me. The more I test drove the more I realized the car I have at the price I own it at is the right car for me based primarily on how I use it. You already question if it's just HP envy or a purchase you will be happy with. If the money you spend on this hobby is important to you then keep asking yourself this question while shopping and driving new models. Is this experience worth the dollars I am about to spend? If the answer is absolutely 100% then spend it and upgrade. If not don't get caught up in the HP envy..... Good luck with your decision and happy shopping.

Red86Cfour 05-23-2019 12:16 PM

To me the biggest difference would be the color of the car. If you like the blue better than keep your current car. In reality, you're resetting the warranty for 1K. If you have a lot of miles on your current car maybe that's significant. With the new one you'll be going through infant mortality again, which with these cars doesn't seem to really be an issue, unless its an A8.

My .02

joemessman 05-23-2019 12:21 PM

I would do it in a heart beat. If you could live with the color go for it! Huge difference in torque and hp. You don't have to be stomping it all the time to enjoy it. The torque can be enjoyed full time. :thumbs:

V Vette 05-23-2019 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by joemessman (Post 1599452880)
I would do it in a heart beat. If you could live with the color go for it! Huge difference in torque and hp. You don't have to be stomping it all the time to enjoy it. The torque can be enjoyed full time. :thumbs:

:iagree: Especially if money is really NOT an issue! :thumbs:

Jpena229 05-23-2019 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Romark (Post 1599452508)
Probably has been talked about before, however, My local dealer has a new Z06 I'm interested in. I've got a '18 Grand Sport that I bought used and I bought it right. They are giving me a really good trade in and with the taxes I save, it works out that I drove this Grand Sport for a year for $1,000. The color of my car (Admiral blue) is prettier to me than the Z06 is (Blade Silver). But the new one looks good too. Both cars have the same trim level. 2LT & 2LZ

I just dont know if I'm just wasting money due to HP envy. I've got a nice car but...

If you're asking you already have doubts about it. All I'm saying is think about it before you jump, if you're swimming in money go for it, if not ..........

hummiscorvettetaken 05-23-2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Romark (Post 1599452508)
The color of my car (Admiral blue) is prettier to me than the Z06 is (Blade Silver). But the new one looks good too. but...

Wow, a 2018 Admiral blue GS is a beautiful car,! but... the grass is always greener.

The Rabbi 05-23-2019 12:43 PM

Ask yourself "can I live without it". My C5 is beautiful but it has 105k miles, not really an issue but I would like to move up to a 2014 Stingray kist for a change after 11 yrs.

plmmd 05-23-2019 12:48 PM

what wrong with 4 new rims to crack!!

Zjoe6 05-23-2019 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by plmmd (Post 1599453083)
what wrong with 4 new rims to crack!!

It's Debbie downer!!!

For $1000 I'd do it.

Quietbreaker 05-23-2019 12:54 PM

Candidly, if the numbers make sense for you, I say do it. That said, if your current car is one you enjoy the looks of better, then maybe stick with that, and just modify yours once the warranty runs out. Both are super nice cars, so you can't really go wrong. Have you actually run into something that your GS couldn't beat? I will say, having come from a modified GT500, supercharger power is nice, but I love the power delivery of my (perhaps pedestrian) C7 Z51 more. I got the color combo and exact options I wanted and plus, the tremendously better gas mileage has been nothing short of miraculous. I can only imagine how fast the new Z06 is, but I'm not sure it's something I'd want to daily.

Elk 05-23-2019 12:55 PM

You know the answer; you are asking because you would regret it.

Zjoe6 05-23-2019 01:06 PM

I was on a track at Spring Mountain in a Grand Sport running wigh z06's. You can't keep up in the long straights but everywhere else it's the same. On the street not so much of an advantage. The crazy acceleration out on country roads would be fun. Like I said, for only $1000 I'd be very tempted. Yes the blue is a cool color but the LT4 is a big upgrade. My kind of upgrade.

James Dean 05-23-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Quietbreaker (Post 1599453133)
Candidly, if the numbers make sense for you, I say do it. That said, if your current car is one you enjoy the looks of better, then maybe stick with that, and just modify yours once the warranty runs out. Both are super nice cars, so you can't really go wrong. Have you actually run into something that your GS couldn't beat? I will say, having come from a modified GT500, supercharger power is nice, but I love the power delivery of my (perhaps pedestrian) C7 Z51 more. I got the color combo and exact options I wanted and plus, the tremendously better gas mileage has been nothing short of miraculous. I can only imagine how fast the new Z06 is, but I'm not sure it's something I'd want to daily.

Those GT500's had some pretty bad fuel economy to begin with so a modded one....ouch
I agree, I think the LT1 has a better powerband for the street. Once I get Horsepower envy I'd supercharge it.

I do think swapping over would be a good option for OP now if he does want the Z06 if it's only the exterior color. If I were OP I'd negotiate a deal with them to EXPEL the paint so he can wrap it to have the best of all. They would be able to write it off as a business expense.

Or you could boost the Grand Sport...

Quietbreaker 05-23-2019 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by James Dean (Post 1599453214)
Those GT500's had some pretty bad fuel economy to begin with so a modded one....ouch
I agree, I think the LT1 has a better powerband for the street. Once I get Horsepower envy I'd supercharge it.

I do think swapping over would be a good option for OP now if he does want the Z06 if it's only the exterior color. If I were OP I'd negotiate a deal with them to EXPEL the paint so he can wrap it to have the best of all. They would be able to write it off as a business expense.

Or you could boost the Grand Sport...

Yes, yes they did. I was getting 11mpg on my daily commute through what I'd call medium morning traffic with around 19mpg on the highway. The C7 doesn't have that kick in the rear that the 500 did, but it's deceptively fast and as best as I can tell, it's right on par speed and quickness-wise. It (probably) goes without saying that the interior of the C7 is an astronomical leap in quality over what the 11-14 GT500s came with. I don't regret my decision at all.

Speaking of regret, that's the main factor for me when discussing the OP's situation. He loves his Grand Sport now, and right now the Z06 is an easy option to switch up to. Six months to a year down the line, it's possible they could dry up, and then he might regret not doing it while he had the chance. Me personally, if I had to have a wide-body car, I'd go with a GS as it just seems to be the more easy to live with. I concede that I could be completely wrong and the Z06 is a perfectly behaved kitten on the street, but something tells me it's probably a pretty raw experience.

aliix 05-23-2019 01:31 PM

May I ask what your getting for your trade? options on your GS? I am looking to do the same thing. Only difference is the trades for 2018-2019 are below value due to discounts currently being offered.

Zjoe6 05-23-2019 01:35 PM

Yeah I'm trying to see how the math works out to $1000. Let's say a 60,000 trade in and 70,000 for a new Z. $3000 loyalty. Still some money not accounted for. Tax advantage helps maybe $4k?

Romark 05-23-2019 01:36 PM

My car has 3000 miles on it. It's a 2LT with ceramic brakes. Automatic, PDR. They are offering $58,000 for my car.

Jeffer 05-23-2019 01:38 PM

Yes do it, you only lose a grand. No brainer do it now before the car gets sold

jeff

Zjoe6 05-23-2019 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jeffer (Post 1599453451)
Yes do it, you only lose a grand. No brainer do it now before the car gets sold

jeff

I'm with you. I think I'd regret NOT doing it.