CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Transactions Feedback (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/transactions-feedback-153/)
-   -   Beware GM Financial and MacMulkin (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/transactions-feedback/4277784-beware-gm-financial-and-macmulkin.html)

VETTE-NV 05-24-2019 01:40 PM

Beware GM Financial and MacMulkin

I sold my 2017 GS over two months ago. The buyer paid the loan in full and the title was released by GM Financial on March 26, but I received no title. GM Financial is blaming MacMulkin because the original title needed some corrections that were apparently were never made during the two year period I owned the car. GM also has a title company called PDP that handles the actual title.

At this point, GM Financial is happy to sit and wait for the dealership to send the corrected info to the Nevada DMV so a title can be issued. They said they spoke with a guy named "Bob" at the dealership (seriously...they didn't have a last name) who said the info was sent. I contacted the Nevada DMV and they have never received anything. I contacted MacMulkin and they have yet to return my call.

So now I'm stuck in the middle trying to get a title to sign over to the new owner so he can register this car and neither GM Financial or MacMulkin gives a shit. Great companies when you go to buy a car....after the fact they suck.

mschuyler 05-24-2019 01:49 PM

What do you mean "needed some corrections"? Macmulkin is just a conduit between the "Certificate of Origin" issued by GM and the DMV that issues the title. The bank gets the title until it is paid off and, as you stated, releases the title. Why is Macmulkin even involved here?

VETTE-NV 05-24-2019 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by mschuyler (Post 1599460037)
What do you mean "needed some corrections"? Macmulkin is just a conduit between the "Certificate of Origin" issued by GM and the DMV that issues the title. The bank gets the title until it is paid off and, as you stated, releases the title. Why is Macmulkin even involved here?

That's a great question! And I've asked it several time of GM Financial. The best answer they could give me was that the original title from the selling dealer (MacMulkin) "needed corrections." It was up to the dealership to make the corrections and it was never done over the two year period. At this point, according to GM Financial, the dealership has to send the corrected info to the Nevada DMV before a title can be issued. What needs to be corrected? I have no idea and neither does GM Financial, or least they won't tell me. What I can't figure out is who actually held the title during the period of finance. GM Financial or the dealership? No one will give me an answer.

Everyone I speak with seems to be waiting for the other parties involved to do something......and no one is doing anything. Meanwhile their standard "8 week" time frame of issuing a title is about to expire and I'm no closer to receiving it than I was two months ago.

VictorBarron 05-24-2019 02:11 PM

Like you said you are really stuck in the middle. That really sucks!

RMS73 05-24-2019 02:35 PM

In the states where I have lived: A dealer does not keep the title for a new car. The dealer sends DMV the COV; certifcate of origin for the vehicle. DMV then issues the title when the car is registered. The registration card probably shows the title number. The title goes to the lien holder or the owner if there is not lien holder - ie the owner does not have a loan for the car. If the title application is not correct then DMV will not issue a title or license plates.I have several experiences where the loan agency lost the title and I had to go to DMV and get a reissued title. When I have bought out of state the dealer sent me a temporary tag and its registration and the accompanying title. I then went to the local DMV to get a title and plates for my state. So did you apply for a title & register the car in NV went you received it? Go to your DMV with a letter from GM Fin stating you have paid off the loan and get a reissued title. You should get a letter from GM Fin stating the loan has been paid off whether or not they send you the title.

VETTE-NV 05-24-2019 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by RMS73 (Post 1599460300)
In the states where I have lived: A dealer does not keep the title for a new car. The dealer sends DMV the COV; certifcate of origin for the vehicle. DMV then issues the title when the car is registered. The registration card probably shows the title number. The title goes to the lien holder or the owner if there is not lien holder - ie the owner does not have a loan for the car. If the title application is not correct then DMV will not issue a title or license plates.I have several experiences where the loan agency lost the title and I had to go to DMV and get a reissued title. When I have bought out of state the dealer sent me a temporary tag and its registration and the accompanying title. I then went to the local DMV to get a title and plates for my state. So did you apply for a title & register the car in NV went you received it? Go to your DMV with a letter from GM Fin stating you have paid off the loan and get a reissued title. You should get a letter from GM Fin stating the loan has been paid off whether or not they send you the title.

I've asked for a letter of lien release from GM Financial. It has to come from their title company, PDP. They will not issue such a letter until the dealer makes the necessary corrections on the original title. I just spoke to the Nevada DMV again and they said they sent a request on May 1 for the dealership to either send the title to me to sign off on or sign on my behalf so a new title could be issued in my name. Even the person at the DMV said this was an absolute mess. At this point, the ball is in the dealership's court. They will not return my calls regarding this but I'll bet they'd be burning up my phone if I was interested in buying a new car. I will most likely be buying a C8 at some point but certainly not from MacMulkin.

Hey Tommy, Jr......any Comment????

JerriVette 05-24-2019 03:08 PM

How much is a flight to mclaulkin..

i think its about time for a personal visit to rectify the situation..

good luck man and Im not liking what Ive been hearing lately about what was once a fine forum vendor...

flying_vette 05-24-2019 03:12 PM

So are you saying McMulkin didn't sent the original Certificate of Origin to Nevada DMV when they originally did the paperwork? If they did then I can't think of anything else they would need to 'fix' (and without that COO, DMV wouldn't have registered the car in first place).

MrClean21 05-24-2019 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1599460438)
I've asked for a letter of lien release from GM Financial. It has to come from their title company, PDP. They will not issue such a letter until the dealer makes the necessary corrections on the original title. I just spoke to the Nevada DMV again and they said they sent a request on May 1 for the dealership to either send the title to me to sign off on or sign on my behalf so a new title could be issued in my name. Even the person at the DMV said this was an absolute mess. At this point, the ball is in the dealership's court. They will not return my calls regarding this

Since the issue is with GM Financial/PDP I would absolutely pinpoint them down for what it is they need. (What corrections?) How can they ask the dealer to make corrections when they won't tell you what those are? Additionally, the dealerships don't hold titles. Either you do or the finance company does. I don't get it. Have you tried speaking to someone in Finance at the dealership? I would leave sales out of this unless you call your salesman for assistance.

VETTE-NV 05-24-2019 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by MrClean21 (Post 1599460561)
Since the issue is with GM Financial/PDP I would absolutely pinpoint them down for what it is they need. (What corrections?) How can they ask the dealer to make corrections when they won't tell you what those are? Additionally, the dealerships don't hold titles. Either you do or the finance company does. I don't get it. Have you tried speaking to someone in Finance at the dealership? I would leave sales out of this unless you call your salesman for assistance.

I have left two messages with the finance department at the dealership. According to GM Financial, they have done so as well. I have no problem with the sales department, but I would never buy a car there again simply because of what has happened in this instance.

VETTE-NV 05-24-2019 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by flying_vette (Post 1599460508)
So are you saying McMulkin didn't sent the original Certificate of Origin to Nevada DMV when they originally did the paperwork? If they did then I can't think of anything else they would need to 'fix' (and without that COO, DMV wouldn't have registered the car in first place).

There was an original Nevada title issued. So I assume they did send the certificate of origin to the Nevada DMV. However, some corrections needed to be made. The person at the DMV was not sure what those corrections needed to be other than someone signing off on the title for a lien release.

Like I said, this whole thing is a complete mess with nobody giving me any real straight answers and pretty much sending me in circles.

Maxie2U 05-24-2019 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by mschuyler (Post 1599460037)

Exactly. Not a Macmulkin issue and to blame them while besmirching their reputation and good name is irresponsible. OP had two years to see there was a problem and what does he do blame others for his failure.

VETTE-NV 05-24-2019 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Maxie2U (Post 1599460828)
Exactly. Not a Macmulkin issue and to blame them while besmirching their reputation and good name is irresponsible. OP had two years to see there was a problem and what does he do blame others for his failure.

I had no idea there was a problem until I sold the car, genius. GM Financial is blaming the dealer. So is the DMV. Perhaps you need a class in reading comprehension.

Rebel Yell 05-24-2019 04:53 PM

Just a guess, but it sounds to me like all that may need to be done is your signature for the title transfer. It would seem that if there were a title problem before you sold you would have already heard from the Nevada DMV. It's hard to understand why MacMulkin, or their financial arm won't even return your call. That's a bit sloppy IMHO. Good luck

BEAR-AvHistory 05-24-2019 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell (Post 1599461060)
Just a guess, but it sounds to me like all that may need to be done is your signature for the title transfer. It would seem that if there were a title problem before you sold you would have already heard from the Nevada DMV. It's hard to understand why MacMulkin, or their financial arm won't even return your call. That's a bit sloppy IMHO. Good luck

Holiday weekend coming up & nobody wants to deal with a problem.

VETTE-NV 05-24-2019 05:32 PM

Yeah, I don't expect to hear anything today because of the holiday but this has been going on for weeks. They've had plenty of time to react and deal with this problem. There's no excuse for such bad business acumen.

Corvettes@FHDaileyChevrolet 05-24-2019 05:38 PM

I've actually had this happen before when I used to work at Boardwalk. Sometimes titles can get messed up when you buy your car from out of state and the out of state dealer takes care of the title. Honestly it could have been a simple mistake by them and just need a statement of facts with a correction. This sort of thing doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen. GM Financial had your title the whole time while you had your loan with them. Usually when somebody else pays off the car, the title goes to that person that paid off the car unless you had a dealer do the paperwork for you.

VETTE-NV 05-24-2019 05:49 PM

According to GM Financial, the the title will be issued in my name, sent to me, and then I would sign it over to the new buyer, who would then go to his DMV for a new title to be issued in his name. They cannot send a title to the person who bought the car, regardless of who paid off the loan. The financing was in my name, not his.

I had no idea there was an issue until after I sold the car, yet GM Financial told me they had been asking the dealership for two years to correct whatever was wrong......and no one has yet specifically told me what needs to be corrected. "We don't have that exact information." At this point, the dealership should be in receipt of a letter from the Nevada DMV asking for the unspecified corrections. It was sent on May 1. Until the dealership confirms they have handled it, or even acknowledges this whole situation, they are the problem......and they have had two years to deal with it.

Corvettes@FHDaileyChevrolet 05-24-2019 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV (Post 1599461369)
According to GM Financial, the the title will be issued in my name, sent to me, and then I would sign it over to the new buyer, who would then go to his DMV for a new title to be issued in his name. They cannot send a title to the person who bought the car, regardless of who paid off the loan. The financing was in my name, not his.

I had no idea there was an issue until after I sold the car, yet GM Financial told me they had been asking the dealership for two years to correct whatever was wrong......and no one has yet specifically told me what needs to be corrected. "We don't have that exact information." At this point, the dealership should be in receipt of a letter from the Nevada DMV asking for the unspecified corrections. It was sent on May 1. Until the dealership confirms they have handled it, or even acknowledges this whole situation, they are the problem......and they have had two years to deal with it.

Did you have the other guy pay off your loan under your name? He should have paid them off directly and filled out a titling instructions form. The title should never go to you. Here is an example, we take trade ins all the time and we pay off GM Financial weekly. When we pay off the car, we send in a title instructions form and the title gets sent to us and not to the customer that traded the car in. Same thing applies even if it is a car we just purchased from a customer.

VETTE-NV 05-24-2019 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by flying_vette (Post 1599460508)

I believe they did. There was an original title issued. In fact, I have that title number. It was given to me by GM's title company, PDP. I assume it went to GM Financial but there is something wrong with the document that the dealership has to correct. This is more confusing than the Mueller report.