CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Events (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events-97/)
-   -   Champion Motorsports Feedback (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/canadian-events/4278318-champion-motorsports-feedback.html)

Fatnshort 05-26-2019 10:58 AM

Champion Motorsports Feedback

Hey guys. Just my 2 cents about Champion Motorsports in Toronto.
Had heads fixed, BTR cam/tune installed last year by another company. They did a great job but there was surging at low rpm. I specifically got a BTR2 because I read many times that the surging could be tuned out.
So I recently put headers on and thought I would go out to Champion. I asked for first morning call.I specifically told Rob, the owner about the surging issue. Drove 1.5hrs and then waited until 1pm for them to get the car on the dyno. 3 pulls and some tweaking, and a drive around the block w the tuner. Car runs a little better but surging still there.
$700 for just over an hour for little improvement.
I guess I shouldn't complain as the CTSV owner that was also waiting paid $700 for 35 minutes of tuning.
I questioned the owner about the fee and he said it was a "full tune".

dankhts 05-26-2019 11:03 AM

I feel your pain …. I think they used to be a sponsor here... but haven't heard much from them or about them lately....seems plenty of other tuning alternatives lately as the LSX type engines are popular in many applications....a chassis dyno in Dundas, Stoney Creek now, Cambridge......couple pretty sharp guys around with just laptops as well...

dee zed 05-26-2019 04:56 PM

Lets just say If Champion cannot put the the correct front wheel spacers on my ZR1 ,do you think I would let that piece of shit touch my car again !:mad:

RedZ4me 05-26-2019 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by dee zed (Post 1599470433)
Lets just say If Champion cannot put the the correct front wheel spacers on my ZR1 ,do you think I would let that piece of shit touch my car again !:mad:

Wow - ouch !!!

RedZ4me 05-26-2019 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Fatnshort (Post 1599468920)
Hey guys. Just my 2 cents about Champion Motorsports in Toronto.
Had heads fixed, BTR cam/tune installed last year by another company. They did a great job but there was surging at low rpm. I specifically got a BTR2 because I read many times that the surging could be tuned out.
So I recently put headers on and thought I would go out to Champion. I asked for first morning call.I specifically told Rob, the owner about the surging issue. Drove 1.5hrs and then waited until 1pm for them to get the car on the dyno. 3 pulls and some tweaking, and a drive around the block w the tuner. Car runs a little better but surging still there.
$700 for just over an hour for little improvement.
I guess I shouldn't complain as the CTSV owner that was also waiting paid $700 for 35 minutes of tuning.
I questioned the owner about the fee and he said it was a "full tune".

I think you were nailed with the corvette tax big time.

79 Bullet 05-27-2019 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fatnshort (Post 1599468920)
They did a great job but there was surging at low rpm..

If you had the job done by another company and they installed and tuned it and you already paid for it and you still had surging. I would not consider that a great job. Why would you not take it back to them and let them do it right? just a thought as you have already paid them.

luffy 05-27-2019 02:19 PM

I had the same feelings when I had my supercharged c5 tuned. Still threw coded and a surging idle, was $700 for 25 minutes in the dyno and no street tuning. Will be going to race ready garage to get it looked at. Just felt very rushed and I told them max power wasn't my main concern, it was the driveability and cold start.

Fatnshort 05-27-2019 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by 79 Bullet (Post 1599473439)
If you had the job done by another company and they installed and tuned it and you already paid for it and you still had surging. I would not consider that a great job. Why would you not take it back to them and let them do it right? just a thought as you have already paid them.

They offered to tune it again. I wasn't confident they could do it or they would've done it the first time.
I heard that Champion was the best. So I gave them a try.

RedZ4me 05-27-2019 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by luffy (Post 1599474598)
I had the same feelings when I had my supercharged c5 tuned. Still threw coded and a surging idle, was $700 for 25 minutes in the dyno and no street tuning. Will be going to race ready garage to get it looked at. Just felt very rushed and I told them max power wasn't my main concern, it was the driveability and cold start.

Yup, Dave at RR doesn't rush his work/tuning - that I know of 100%

dankhts 05-27-2019 07:17 PM

I heard that Champion was the best. So I gave them a try.[/QUOTE]

apparently no longer true by the look of some of these posts....

family-man 05-28-2019 07:00 AM

JLS Tuning. He has Instagram

Patastic 05-28-2019 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by family-man (Post 1599477884)
JLS Tuning. He has Instagram

thats was one of the mechanics that used to work at SPI?

family-man 05-29-2019 07:01 AM

There’s also CC Performance. Heard really good things about them. Also have an IG acct

Jackie N 05-29-2019 01:10 PM

$700 is bloody theft. That's unbelievable.

It's just a GM with an LS motor... I wouldn't pay that much to tune a friggin Lamborghini for 30 minutes on a Dyno. What a bunch of asses. Thanks for the heads up, I know where I'm not going.

97 SC Cobra 06-02-2019 11:25 AM

You guys aren’t that far away from Dr. Phil. If you can track him down it’s definitely worth the drive imo.

formula1nut 06-02-2019 11:39 AM

Perhaps you could expand a bit....Is this Phil Hoefler in Michigan? Have you experience with him?

97 SC Cobra 06-02-2019 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by formula1nut (Post 1599509910)
Perhaps you could expand a bit....Is this Phil Hoefler in Michigan? Have you experience with him?

Yes absolutely, you’re correct it is Phil Hoefler. He tuned my car summer before last. Another tuner did it NA and when I blew it up he tuned it with the blower. Car bucked quite a bit down low and surged when coming to a stop. Phil got rid of that.
Unfortunately, I pinched a belt on the dyno while he was tuning it. Phil changed the belt himself, and tried again and it looked like it was about to throw it again so we had to stop. I had to force him take extra money for changing the belt. He had guys waiting to get on the dyno and it looked like I had some sort of alignment issue so we decided to try another day. He’s a class act. I believe he’s a retired GM engineer.
I would drive 8 hours to without hesitation to have him tune my car, luckily he is somewhat local.

dlynch 06-05-2019 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by dankhts (Post 1599468947)
I feel your pain …. I think they used to be a sponsor here... but haven't heard much from them or about them lately....seems plenty of other tuning alternatives lately as the LSX type engines are popular in many applications....a chassis dyno in Dundas, Stoney Creek now, Cambridge......couple pretty sharp guys around with just laptops as well...

I've been away from the forum for a while. When I was here regularly I believe they were well thought of.

RedZ4me 06-06-2019 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by dlynch (Post 1599531322)
I've been away from the forum for a while. When I was here regularly I believe they were well thought of.

I would say they were here often when DaSilva Motorsports was around - lots of bickering going on.

Mickman 06-07-2019 07:52 AM

I used them probably 6 or 7 years ago and found their pricing to be really fair. I had no issues with them.