CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Car Care Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion-10/)
-   -   One more step (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/car-care-discussion/4279162-one-more-step.html)

Vette Ski 05-28-2019 07:48 PM

One more step

Hello,
Just finished detailing my black '19 GS. Had swirles from sitting on the lot prior to my purchase. I used my Griots 6" random and G 21 along with Blackfire one step, made the paint look very deep and defect free. Came out very well, well beyond my expectations. I finished off with blackfire sealant. Now my question, Can I wait a while ( few days without driving it) and put a coating of collinate insulator no.845 wax on top for xtra protection ?
Thank you,
Rich

stig-zzz 05-28-2019 08:58 PM

Rich will be fine in fact your better off to let the sealant fully cure before adding a topper like 845 great choice …..

FYRARMS 05-28-2019 08:59 PM

You sure can. Blackfire actual recommends adding a layer of carnauba on top of the sealant for extra paint depth and added protection.

Vette Ski 05-29-2019 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1599482895)
You sure can. Blackfire actual recommends adding a layer of carnauba on top of the sealant for extra paint depth and added protection.

So can I use my Collinite 845 or stay in the blackfire family and use what they offer. Does Blackfire have a liquid carnauba wax that will be easier to use with a machine.
Thank you,
Rich

FYRARMS 05-29-2019 03:15 PM

You can use whatever you like, really. You can't go wrong. I don't think Blackfire offers a liquid carnauba wax. Pinnacle does, and to be quite honest, I think Blackfire and Pinnacle are basically related. They are both Autogeek brands.

845 is a hybrid sealant/wax, and will be more durable than a pure carnauba wax, though. Pretty sure the polymers in the 845 will bond with the Blackfire sealant nicely.

Vette Ski 05-29-2019 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by FYRARMS (Post 1599487483)
You can use whatever you like, really. You can't go wrong. I don't think Blackfire offers a liquid carnauba wax. Pinnacle does, and to be quite honest, I think Blackfire and Pinnacle are basically related. They are both Autogeek brands.

845 is a hybrid sealant/wax, and will be more durable than a pure carnauba wax, though. Pretty sure the polymers in the 845 will bond with the Blackfire sealant nicely.

Thank you for that info. What timetable should I use to coat with the 845 after the sealant is applied?
Rich

yamabob 05-29-2019 04:14 PM

Blackfire offers Midnight Sun which is designed to top their sealant ( or be used as a stand alone). It's a combo that is known as Fire and Ice

Vette Ski 05-29-2019 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by yamabob (Post 1599487869)
Blackfire offers Midnight Sun which is designed to top their sealant ( or be used as a stand alone). It's a combo that is known as Fire and Ice

Yes,I am aware of the combo, thanks again. But I already had the collinite 845 and I only used a small amount for my wife's CRV.
Rich

FYRARMS 05-29-2019 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Vette Ski (Post 1599487544)
Thank you for that info. What timetable should I use to coat with the 845 after the sealant is applied?
Rich

I wait overnight for sealants to cure, but they are all a little different. The cure time should be on the Blackfire bottle.

FYRARMS 05-29-2019 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by yamabob (Post 1599487869)

I have a little sample jar of Midnight Sun paste that Autogeek was giving away when Blackfire changed their label designs. It is actually a nice wax. I usually top my Z06 base protection with a "show wax", and the Midnight Sun does a nice job.

Vette Ski 05-29-2019 08:29 PM

Hello,
I contacted Auto Geek and asked if the 845 is compatible. An associate checked her list ( took her 'bout 30 seconds ) and it is O.K to use. Did the 3rd step tonight and it brought the Black Mirror shine up 500 watts. I am not sure how much longer I can keep doing this at my age. I already did my wife's CRV, the 'Vette now I have my '16 Tundra to do. That will be like doing the CRV and the 'Vette over again.:willy:
Rich