CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Audio/Electronics (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics-20/)
-   -   Kenwood stereo cutting out at high volume (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/audio-electronics/4279346-kenwood-stereo-cutting-out-at-high-volume.html)

htown81vette 05-29-2019 10:29 AM

Kenwood stereo cutting out at high volume

I sold a family member my old Kenwood double din stereo and installed it for him. We have two 10" Rockford Fosgate subs (2 ohm), and Class D (mono amp) 750 watt Rockford Fosgate amp powering the subs. An Alpine 300 Watt 4 channel amp powering 4 JBL round speakers in the door.

The stereo sounds SWEET. The only problem is about 75% volume or higher the stereo shuts down and reboots, everytime, even when the engine is running.

I've really scratched my head on this and the only thing I can come up with is that the subs are 2 ohm, and the door speakers are likely 4 ohm (we don't know for sure, because they were already installed), creating an imbalance in the stereo. When I owned the stereo it never had this issue, but I don't even remember what the specs are on the speakers/subs were but I believe they were all 4 ohm.

Can anyone else verify this or maybe give me another possible reason for why it's doing this?

VinceC5 05-30-2019 12:34 AM

The low impedance on the subs would make the amp shutdown, not make the radio reboot. It could be a case of voltage dip. Where is the amp power and ground connected to? Do your lights also dim badly when right before the radio reboots? I'm assuming the radio is not directly driving any speakers...

htown81vette 05-30-2019 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by VinceC5 (Post 1599490713)
The low impedance on the subs would make the amp shutdown, not make the radio reboot. It could be a case of voltage dip. Where is the amp power and ground connected to? Do your lights also dim badly when right before the radio reboots? I'm assuming the radio is not directly driving any speakers...

We bought an amp wiring kit with shielded wires good for 600W, actually we bought 2, one for the 4 channel and one for the sub amp. Ground wires come with the kit and exactly the same. I have them both wired to the bolt holding down the back seat. The power wires are run directly up to the battery, and fused (with the fuse that comes with the kit). Not sure about the lights but I don't think so. Radio is wired to the amp, then amp to the speakers. However there is an "adapter" that I was forced to buy that adapts the radio to the factory harness. I'm suspecting something might be wrong with this adapter. I remember it had dip switches for certain types of radios, I had the change the dip switch settings to get it to work. Wondering if it's not on the correct setting. The instructions were not clear for this adapter. It does sound like a power issue to the head unit itself.

Jimmy 2 Times 06-01-2019 10:25 PM

what type of car, and what adapter?

some of the pac harness, if that is the one you used, you have to bypass the rears.... or i guess I should say you run them from the radio to output side of the pack. or, you may be pulling more acc than the harness can handle, which can be fixed with a relay

madsonp 06-02-2019 12:56 PM

One thing about the PAC interface that could be causing this, if it's a older one, you may need to add a jumper. See the "Important Instruction For Double DIN Radios" section from the installation instructions found here. https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...541RP5GM11.PDF I guess the newer ones already have this jumper in place.

Jimmy 2 Times 06-02-2019 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by madsonp (Post 1599510286)
One thing about the PAC interface that could be causing this, if it's a older one, you may need to add a jumper. See the "Important Instruction For Double DIN Radios" section from this installations instructions found here. https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...541RP5GM11.PDF I guess the newer ones already have this jumper in place.

all the new ones have a 12 inch black and yellow wire that has this note attached to the wires. An easy way to check if you need to do the above.

there was also an addendum on the pac harness, especially with chevy trucks where you have to bypass the rears, and/or run a relay. I have had to do this with quite a few kenwood radios

GCG 06-02-2019 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy 2 Times (Post 1599507952)
what type of car, and what adapter?...

:iagree: This info is crucial.

htown81vette 06-03-2019 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by GCG (Post 1599510721)
:iagree: This info is crucial.

It's a 2009 Silverado (I know not a Corvette). But I think that is right the harness/adapter is not able to handle the power.

I looked around in other forums and someone with the same problem ran a jumper on the power wire all the way up to the battery (and fused it) and that fixed the problem.

htown81vette 06-03-2019 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by madsonp (Post 1599510286)
One thing about the PAC interface that could be causing this, if it's a older one, you may need to add a jumper. See the "Important Instruction For Double DIN Radios" section from the installation instructions found here. https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im...541RP5GM11.PDF I guess the newer ones already have this jumper in place.

I believe you are correct. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can get over there (I installed this radio for a family member) but I'll try running the jumper and see if that works.

htown81vette 06-03-2019 09:32 AM

It also says you need to jumper the ground wire which makes sense.

GCG 06-03-2019 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by htown81vette (Post 1599514515)
It's a 2009 Silverado (I know not a Corvette). But I think that is right the harness/adapter is not able to handle the power.

I looked around in other forums and someone with the same problem ran a jumper on the power wire all the way up to the battery (and fused it) and that fixed the problem.

But what adapter was used? Without knowing the specific adapter, all advices about jumpers, dip switches, etc may not apply to your case...

htown81vette 06-03-2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by GCG (Post 1599515252)
But what adapter was used? Without knowing the specific adapter, all advices about jumpers, dip switches, etc may not apply to your case...

The problem is solved as far as I am concerned.

GCG 06-03-2019 05:01 PM

That's all that matters.