CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3s for Sale/Wanted (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3s-for-sale-wanted-56/)
-   -   FS: 1972 Restomod coupe project (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3s-for-sale-wanted/4279455-1972-restomod-coupe-project.html)

MakoShark72 05-29-2019 02:23 PM

SOLD-1972 Restomod coupe project

SOLD...SOLD...SOLD

Finally arriving at the emotional decision to sell my 1972 Corvette small block, auto coupe. Pending retirement and other car projects make this the right decision.

A little history....i purchased this #'s matching car about 10-12+ yrs ago. It was running, driveable, but pretty much a gut job restoration. Being a sb, auto coupe, I decided the thing to do was make it a fun restomod... Much of that process was documented here on the C3 forum, and many members followed my journey. The car sustained minor front end damage when it rolled into a tree, and I had that professionally repaired. At that time I fitted an aftermarket bb hood. I then stripped the entire car of the existing poor paint job, repaired any needed old bodywork, and had the car resprayed in Hugger Orange with a "Motion-style" black stripe. I had everything re-chromed and all stainless trim professionally polished. I took hundreds of photos documenting the entire process.

I decided to go with a new ZZ4 crate motor and 2004r tranny, Hooker sidepipes with STS inserts. I detailed the entire engine bay, reworked all vacuum lines to the headlights and wiper door, and installed a VintageAir system and new DeWitts aluminum radiator. I installed an entirely new suspension with a fiberglass rear leaf, Bilstein shocks, and upgraded coils. Installed new fuel tank.

I gutted the interior, installed new carpets, door panels, console, power windows, and basically new C5 leather seats. I installed dynamat throughout the cockpit. Fitted a tilt/telescopic steering column. The speedo was siezed so I sent it off to be renewed, and the odometer was zero'd out. It currently shows just over 10,000 miles.

About 2 yrs ago I started the car and noticed coolant coming out of the right sidepipe.. I shut it down suspecting a faulty head gasket. I've not pulled the head to investigate, so as of now the car is, by choice, NOT RUNNING. I haven't started the car since. The car screamed prior to that, so I'm not sure of the issue.

I have a built 383 stroker that started with a new ZZ383 long block. I installed new AFR heads, custom cam, Scorpion 1.6 rockers, Airgap manifold, no carb. With the exception of the carb, the motor is ready to install. It was designed to mimic the (now defunct) Sallie Chevrolet ZZ383-500, designated because it makes nominally 500hp/500tq. The recommendation was to use a Street Avenger 750 carb, or something equivalent.

I also have the original #'s matching 350 and TH400 tranny, plus MANY original parts, etc....

Other than swapping the motor, there are a few things left to do, none that would prevent driving the car. I didn't install wiper arms, courtesy light door jamb switches, and a few other minor bits. After I started driving the car, I just never got around the finishing up the little things. I would also put on new tires, only because of age. There are a couple of small dings on the body, one happened when hanging the passenger door, another on the left rear fender. The car has been parked inside my garage since the restoration, never parked outdoors.

I am traveling on business right now and I don't have access to my library of photos. I return home this weekend and will upload pictures then. I realize this is a "non-running" Vette, and it's difficult for me to come up with a reasonable price. The included ZZ383-500 is about a $6000+ build. I'd also like to include the original drivetrain and all original and spare parts I've accumulated relating to the car. I have mountains of receipts and other paperwork, $1000's to the great guys at Wilcox Chevrolet!
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b3c7ef2733.jpg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e903c3e93a.jpg

As a longtime member of this forum, I'd like to see the car go to another member. If it doesn't generate enough interest , then I guess Bring aTrailer is next. As the last year of chrome bumpers (yea yea I know 73's had the rears) I think the car holds a certain value to us "chromies".

Anyway, if anyone would like to contact me with questions/comments, pls send a forum message and I'll be glad to share my phone # and/or email.

Thanks,
Rob

$20,000 or contact me and we'll talk. I'm pretty reasonable😁

Tom PFC 05-29-2019 05:25 PM

Rob,

I just sent a reply thru Craigslist, Do you have any other pictures of your restore on this site?
Thanks
Tom

MakoShark72 05-29-2019 06:01 PM

Tom, thnx...answered...Rob

EarlyC34me 05-30-2019 11:44 AM

Very cool project. This is pretty much what my next c3 will be. Glws!