CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Please GM-don't insult the people with a Corvette that has a dollar store interior (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4279708-please-gm-dont-insult-the-people-with-a-corvette-that-has-a-dollar-store-interior.html)

Katie22 05-30-2019 09:15 AM

Please GM-don't insult the people with a Corvette that has a dollar store interior

Hey GM I like Corvettes they are a good car in many ways but like all your other products you put these really cheap interiors in your cars. I point out the BRAND NEW full size truck that has many reviews and every one of them points out the dirt cheap interiors your putting in your flagship vehicle. Please dont assume the masses wont notice this. I remind you for the first time ever the new Ram 1500 outsold your new Chevy truck!

PLEASE dont do this with the new Corvette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE

Corgidog1 05-30-2019 09:39 AM

That is how GM keeps the price affordable. Better to skimp on interior than performance.
GM has made great strides in the vette interior and I see more improvements in the c8 but don’t expect a Porsche like interior at a vette price point.

jefnvk 05-30-2019 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Corgidog1 (Post 1599491845)
That is how GM keeps the price affordable. Better to skimp on interior than performance.

GM is fairly competitive with Ford and FCA on performance of like cars and pricing, and both of them have worlds better interiors. That excuse simply doesn't fly with me, especially when my Focus has a nicer look and feel of an interior than the ATS we have at work that costs considerably more.

sly1 05-30-2019 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Corgidog1 (Post 1599491845)
GM has made great strides in the vette interior and I see more improvements in the c8 but don’t expect a Porsche like interior at a vette price point.

Exactly on target. I find it quite amusing that some people expect that a $60K Corvette should have the same quality interior as a $120K Porsche. Nevertheless, I do agree with the OP that the Corvette's interior could use some improvement.

ArmchairArchitect 05-30-2019 10:24 AM

The C7 has a nice and acceptable interior. And don't forget it has features like a nice/crisp digital dash, HUD, etc. that many other sports cars don't have.

Is it the best in the world? No- but it's primarily a sports car, not a luxury car.

Also don't forget that many of the "luxury" car interiors have rubber-coated buttons that wear and melt off after a few years, requiring hundreds/thousands of dollars to restore. Not to mention all the Ferraris with sagging leather passenger airbag covers, etc. Durability and reliability in an interior is just as important as how it looks/feels. And Corvettes have VERY reliable interiors with few issues like the ones I just mentioned.

Katie22 05-30-2019 10:25 AM

Ummm one merely needs to look at the new RAM 1500 Limited interior and compare it to the Denali or High Country and realize there is a HUGE difference in quality materials. Take NOTE the price difference from one truck to another is not significant......

My research says the High Country starts at $53000 and the Ram Limited at $52,995.

Also you can look at the Ford Limited and that truck while dated a bit still has a very nice interior and blows away the new GM trucks. Again the price difference is NOT a big factor.

You can look at the Honda Accord Touring at $35,000 and the interior is VERY nice for that price and puts to shame a LOT of more expensive cars!!!!!!!

I am not convinced that you have to have a cheap interior in order to have a competitive price.

84 4+3 05-30-2019 10:31 AM

Funny you mention the ram, the door panel delaminated at the philly auto show last year and all the sound proofing on the fire wall was peeling off. It may look nice but it's the cheapest shit going honestly... still a fiat. :rofl:

Edit: and for fucks sake I don't want a nice truck interior. I'm just going to fuck it up anyway.

Katie22 05-30-2019 10:34 AM

Ok 84 say you dont like the Ram and ignore all the reviews we can talk about the Accord with an interior that is stunning for the price.........

Or the Ford trucks which also have a nice interior at a price that is competitive to the gm trucks.

Furthermore take into account that a loaded ZR1 has the same interior as the $50000 Stingray.......... the car costs around 150000 and your getting close to the cost of a 911 Turbo S............... Dont know about you but I know what car I would buy at that price point.

I didnt really write this post for people to defend GM. If your happy with what they offer then great. This letter is asking people at GM who likely read the forum to make a car with a nice interior!

84 4+3 05-30-2019 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Katie22 (Post 1599492191)
Ok 84 say you dont like the Ram and ignore all the reviews we can talk about the Accord with an interior that is stunning for the price.........

Furthermore take into account that a loaded ZR1 has the same interior as the $50000 Stingray.......... the car costs around 150000 and your getting close to the cost of a 911 Turbo S............... Dont know about you but I know what car I would buy at that price point.

The current C7 interior is a sin as far as interiors go. The materials are decent, the implementation is just... shit... as are the ergonomics (and most of the car honestly....) I think my 84 is better as far as how you sit in it, but the C7 is more usuable as a daily... the C4 was probably the last last true sportscar as with the C5 it tried to be this swissarmy knife and just compromised a lot for gains elsewhere imo. I don't have a ton of seat time in a C7 though. It is a hell of a lot easier to get out of though I will give it that.

I found the C6 while cheaper to be laid out better. The C5 was a carryover cheapened C4 interior. The Recaro seats on the 90s C4 vettes were pretty good. The dash layout, while dated, works well. Funny thing is the C4 is about on the bottom of my totem pole as far as corvettes go lol.

They've always been the same level of cheapness imo. You think they improve with every gen but in reality the difference gap between say a 911 and a vette has remained about the same for the last 50 years. (The minor improvements of both offset) I'm probably one of the few that'll say for the time, removed from today's standards, that the C3 interior mid cycle was probably one of the best from a comapritive standpoint... that's just me though. The 70s 911 interior isn't anything to write home about either...

Katie22 05-30-2019 10:53 AM

84 I am saying that GM can if they wanted to make a car with a nice interior today. Honda does it, Ford does it and Ram does it. It might be a cost upgrade but at least they offer it. I myself have no issue paying more for nice stuff.........

I love the Corvette I really do. If they were to offer a car with a really nice interior I would consider buying another one....... I hope GM understands there is a LOT of people that feel this way.......

vndkshn 05-30-2019 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by sly1 (Post 1599492024)
Exactly on target. I find it quite amusing that some people expect that a $60K Corvette should have the same quality interior as a $120K Porsche. Nevertheless, I do agree with the OP that the Corvette's interior could use some improvement.

Or maybe, those people are willing to pay a little more for a better interior?

Holding down the price to $60k at the expense of a decent interior is the quickest way for me to continue skipping on the Corvette and buying other cars. Especially if the C8 is not going to offer a manual. The C7 was the first Corvette that had an interior close enough that I almost bought one (still might if I can find the right car or an allocation to order).

punky 05-30-2019 10:57 AM

My C7 had a great interior, more than adequate quality, nothing that one could really complain about. The OCD squad always pops like a damn jack in the box when Corvette quality is mentioned. Guys who measure seat stitch spacing, examine leather with a magnifier, and concern themselves with the level of engineering dedicated to the cup holders should take a deep breath, get over it, and just enjoy life. Sports cars are not Swiss watches. I always wonder if these nit pickers ever really take a good look at the Spartan, boring interior that Porsche delivers.

RapidC84B 05-30-2019 11:00 AM

I'm guessing you folks don't have a lot of time in the C7... the interior is excellent and especially so for the price point. GM will make it even better in the C8. Not concerned at all.

84 4+3 05-30-2019 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Katie22 (Post 1599492315)
84 I am saying that GM can if they wanted to make a car with a nice interior today. Honda does it, Ford does it and Ram does it. It might be a cost upgrade but at least they offer it. I myself have no issue paying more for nice stuff.........

I love the Corvette I really do. If they were to offer a car with a really nice interior I would consider buying another one....... I hope GM understands there is a LOT of people that feel this way.......

Agree 100%. But half the problem isn't so much the current materials but rather the design. I'd bet you can take everything in the interior currently and do a re-layout and come up with a much nicer interior for about the cost of paying a designer for a few hours time. They just choose not to for whatever reason. :crazy2: Its pennies in the grand scheme of the whole car anyway. And if they did it right at first it wouldn't have mattered anyway. :leaving:

vndkshn 05-30-2019 11:12 AM

Thinking about trucks, I have a 2011 F-250 crew cab. Knocking on 180k miles, other than being covered in dust because I'm bad about cleaning it, the ONLY interior issue is a little tear on the center console where I rest my elbow. I still like the look and layout of the interior and think it looks MUCH better than any GM truck interior, up to and including the latest. The new Silverado dash looks like a kid designed it.

The Ram interior does look nice, but it doesn't seem to hold up as well as pointed out. A friend has a 2015 and while it is a nice interior and the way things are laid out makes sense for the most part. But, I've noticed some wear and tear on his interior and it's a daily driver that doesn't really get worked (meaning, he doesn't really need a truck, just prefers that form factor).

What's kept me out of the last couple of generations of Corvettes has always, 100%, been down to the interior. From the steering wheels (I do like the C7 wheel) to the dash layout to the seats, to the overwhelming shitty quality of the plastic to some of the worst fitting and feeling seats (again, C7 made great strides in all of these areas), it's just not a place I am willing to lay out my hard earned cash to spend time in, no matter how crazy the performance. I'm not buying a stripped race car (I've got those) and neither are 99% of Corvette buyers. I like the 3LT/3LZ options, but even then there are some things they missed.

punky 05-30-2019 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder (Post 1599492374)
I'm guessing you folks don't have a lot of time in the C7... the interior is excellent and especially so for the price point. GM will make it even better in the C8. Not concerned at all.

Agree with you 100% here. I see an ongoing flow of verbal diarrhea about this subject mostly from those who just don't like Corvettes or are flatly insecure about what GM can deliver for the dollar.

The C8 is going to be a huge bombshell on the auto market and the import humpers are well aware of this. I can't be the only one here who recognizes their pre-emptive strikes on the C8 as it is their worst nightmare come true. I see a legion of Porsche Fanboys who will legitimately feel like fools when the C8 takes center stage. The level of jealousy is rising already and it is not surprising but quite entertaining.

vndkshn 05-30-2019 11:20 AM

I'm guessing you folks don't have a lot of time in the C7...

That would be a poor guess. As an instructor, I'm in them pretty frequently. As a frequent traveler for work, I often get upgraded at the rental car place and often pick the Corvette. Seems like I am in them just about as often as I would be if I owned one.

Katie22 05-30-2019 11:22 AM

Dont be so confident on the c8 being better. The new GM truck is a step backward from the previous truck. Also im not sure the c7 interior is excellent on a $150000 dollar car because thats what you pay for a loaded zr1 and its the same interior!!!!!!!!!!!!

RapidC84B 05-30-2019 11:24 AM

You're not making any sense... the C7 interior is great. The ZR1 is $140K and the interior is still great. You should really spend some time in the 3LT interior with the suede and carbon fiber options... it's very very nice. Do you expect them to make a completely different interior for a limited production model built on the same production line? It doesn't work that way.

I like the new Silverado... almost bought one until I decided to keep my Titan and put the money toward a C8.

Katie22 05-30-2019 11:27 AM

Tool Horder I owned a 16 3lt and put many miles on it.

I repeat if your happy with the car the way it is then more power to you. I wrote this letter to GM because they do read this forum.