CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 ZR1 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion-176/)
-   -   Loss of vacuum when left foot braking (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-zr1-discussion/4280222-loss-of-vacuum-when-left-foot-braking.html)

Painrace 05-31-2019 01:19 PM

Loss of vacuum when left foot braking

Has anyone experienced this on a road course?

Thanks,
Jim

Higgs Boson 06-06-2019 08:02 AM

how are you measuring vacuum? the boost gauge?

if youre pressing the gas and brake at the same time then torque management will intervene causing a potential perception of vacuum loss

Painrace 06-06-2019 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson (Post 1599532815)
how are you measuring vacuum? the boost gauge?

if youre pressing the gas and brake at the same time then torque management will intervene causing a potential perception of vacuum loss

Vacuum pump can't keep up! I am installing a surge vacuum tank!

Jim

Operations 01-21-2021 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Painrace (Post 1599536285)
Vacuum pump can't keep up! I am installing a surge vacuum tank!

Jim

how did the surge tank work out?

Painrace 01-23-2021 02:44 PM

Works GREAT. No issues now!

Jim

rico750sxi 05-19-2021 10:35 PM

Can you post a pic of the install please? Operations, didn’t you do something similar? How did it work out and can you post a picture please? Thanks

Operations 05-20-2021 10:06 AM

We did swap out the Vac pump for the a race pump, when we went out to test we were also testing out our 2650R, cam, ported heads etc at the same time, the change made 850/800rw, but on track we started blowing a ton of oil through the PCV, we tried various catch cans and re plumbing the lines, but it volume of oil under WOT was to great for any of our solutions to work. We ran compression checks and found no issues there. On the last track test I took Sergio from LG as a passenger to watch the gauges and his laptop with HP tuners. He saw my dash oil pressure dip really low, so we killed the engine and was towed in.
Pulled the engine, only then did we find a piston broken, that cylinder was also really worn. Likely the piston was damaged a while back when the Callaway SC cooling brick failed and flooded the right cylinders with water. Unknown to anyone because it ran fine before turning it off a week prior, upon trying to start the engine we must of cracked the piston due to being it was hydrolocked, all we know is it would not turn over.
Long story short, it took a 0.010 over bore to clean up the worn cylinder, we ordered new pistons from Racetec, going on six weeks now waiting on them, then sending them on to Swain Tech for coating.
So the Race vac pump test in inconclusive for now.

range96 05-20-2021 11:38 AM

Quite a story! Even with a broken piston, worn cylinder a good compression. Oil must have sealed it up pretty good. That Callaway SC cooling brick turned into an expensive ordeal. Report back with updates.

range96 05-20-2021 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Painrace (Post 1599500275)
Has anyone experienced this on a road course?

Thanks,
Jim

Why do you use left foot braking on this car? Do you see any lap time differences? Always willing to learn...

Operations 05-20-2021 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by range96 (Post 1603479331)
Why do you use left foot braking on this car? Do you see any lap time differences? Always willing to learn...

There are various reasons for left foot braking, most are to get the weight transferred to neutral or to the front while still on throttle to keep momentum up and to get the traction on the front so the car will turn in. Sometimes your just wanting to begin braking before the right foot is off the gas completely, but for most its about another tool to assist in car placement, and rotation while carrying speed
Some will post a few more reasons, bit in the end, done well it good for some time savings.
Most pros will recommend not to introduce left foot braking until you are already a prettying fast advanced driver.

range96 05-21-2021 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Operations (Post 1603479515)
There are various reasons for left foot braking, most are to get the weight transferred to neutral or to the front while still on throttle to keep momentum up and to get the traction on the front so the car will turn in. Sometimes your just wanting to begin braking before the right foot is off the gas completely, but for most its about another tool to assist in car placement, and rotation while carrying speed
Some will post a few more reasons, bit in the end, done well it good for some time savings.
Most pros will recommend not to introduce left foot braking until you are already a prettying fast advanced driver.

I guess it could work for turns that doesn't require a downshift (I have a 7M).

On the ZR1 there is a 'hanging throttle' (lag between you let off the throttle and the computer dials in 0 throttle). I assume it's strictly for emission reasons. At initial brake application I still feel the car pulling.

Painrace 05-21-2021 03:07 PM

Yes. Much faster.

SouthernSon 05-21-2021 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Operations (Post 1603479515)

:iagree: Don't confuse clutch with brake pedal though. Right Jim? Painrace was in passenger seat when I had off track excursion to the right out of the NCM sink hole. :D I would recommend making sure you use the far right side of brake pedal in an automatic if you are practicing on the street to develop left foot brake sensitivity. :yesnod:

Painrace 05-24-2021 11:01 AM

It was a fun ride! Thanks Southern Son!

Painrace

rico750sxi 08-06-2021 03:44 PM

Can either of you post a picture of your surge tank install please? I’m considering this due to the inconsistency of my brakes at the track. Thanks

Operations 08-07-2021 10:19 PM

I had LG order it and do the install, might check with them.

rico750sxi 08-09-2021 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Operations (Post 1603842648)
I had LG order it and do the install, might check with them.

Thanks, you don't happen to have a picture of the engine compartment where the surge tank is by chance? I just need to see where in the line it is being spliced into. Thanks

Operations 08-09-2021 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by rico750sxi (Post 1603849191)
Thanks, you don't happen to have a picture of the engine compartment where the surge tank is by chance? I just need to see where in the line it is being spliced into. Thanks

Sorry no, I believe it is spliced between the pump and brake booster, as far has mounting, they removed the wiper washer tank awhile back and used some of that space. I believe the wiper washer tank was under the brake booster.
Hope this helps

rico750sxi 08-10-2021 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Operations (Post 1603849548)
Sorry no, I believe it is spliced between the pump and brake booster, as far has mounting, they removed the wiper washer tank awhile back and used some of that space. I believe the wiper washer tank was under the brake booster.
Hope this helps

That does help, thank you.

Painrace 08-12-2021 05:41 PM

To keep the car balanced and to get on the fuel quicker.