CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Why remove A.I.R. pump? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4280950-why-remove-a-i-r-pump.html)

Topcat7 06-02-2019 05:09 PM

Why remove A.I.R. pump?

I am tossing up whether or not to remove the A.I.R. pump from my '89 L98 Corvette.
I am told that by doing so I can expect an increase of between 20-30HP. Is this so?

I am also told that there is a 'restrictor' in the air intake system that was put there to 'de-tune' the engine,
and if you remove that 'restrictor' you can make significant gains in HP by improving the air-flow. Is this true?

Red86Z51 06-02-2019 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Topcat7 (Post 1599511467)
I am tossing up whether or not to remove the A.I.R. pump from my '89 L98 Corvette.
I am told that by doing so I can expect an increase of between 20-30HP. Is this so?

I am also told that there is a 'restrictor' in the air intake system that was put there to 'de-tune' the engine,
and if you remove that 'restrictor' you can make significant gains in HP by improving the air-flow. Is this true?

You were told incorrectly regarding hp gain by removal of the air pump...the short answer is no.

Joe C 06-02-2019 08:44 PM

you would be lucky to see 2-3 hp. definitely nothing by the SOTP. removing those things seems like more trouble than it's worth. :rock:

Topcat7 06-02-2019 08:49 PM

Thanks @Red86Z51 and @Joe_C . If that is the only gain, it is not worth the cost.

Does anyone know about the 'restrictor'?

Joe C 06-02-2019 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Topcat7 (Post 1599512651)
Thanks @Red86Z51 and @Joe_C . If that is the only gain, it is not worth the cost.

Does anyone know about the 'restrictor'?

been into C4's for about 25 years now, and can't recall anything about a restrictor. the air intake is somewhat restrictive, and there not much that can be done with stock components. gasket match, a little pocket porting, and long tubes is about all you can do to a stock system. L98's are L98's - more torque than horsepower. :rock:

Red86Z51 06-03-2019 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Joe C (Post 1599512757)
been into C4's for about 25 years now, and can't recall anything about a restrictor. the air intake is somewhat restrictive, and there not much that can be done with stock components. gasket match, a little pocket porting, and long tubes is about all you can do to a stock system. L98's are L98's - more torque than horsepower. :rock:

:iagree:

The ONLY restrictor I've ever known of in the L98's is the restrictor in the rear coolant passage of the intake manifold... that's there to keep coolant at the rear of the engine a little longer. Removing that would do nothing for your engine's performance...removing that simply allows you to remove that small bypass hose that runs to the coolant return line from the heater core.

Tom400CFI 06-03-2019 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Joe C (Post 1599512757)
can't recall anything about a restrictor.

Originally Posted by Red86Z51 (Post 1599513828)
:iagree:

The ONLY restrictor I've ever known of in the L98's is the restrictor in the rear coolant passage of the intake manifold... that's there to keep coolant at the rear of the engine a little longer. Removing that would do nothing for your engine's performance...removing that simply allows you to remove that small bypass hose that runs to the coolant return line from the heater core.

X3.

The only "restrictor" that I'm aware of is the entire TPI system. :lol:

Paul Workman 06-03-2019 11:18 AM

As mentioned, there's little if any meaningful performance increase as result of removing the A.I.R. pump. However, removing the pump can negatively affect the efficiency of the cats - especially on start up, not to mention having to pass the smog station inspection of factory emissions equipment!

am also told that there is a 'restrictor' in the air intake system that was put there to 'de-tune' the engine,

Restrictor plates apply to certain racing rules (NASCAR, etc) intended for "normalizing" horsepower of all competitors. Such restrctors in reference to the standard (i.e., street driven) cars is pure internet BS.

belairbrian 06-03-2019 01:23 PM

My 92 had the restrictor, but I got tired of hearing "slow your a$$ down", so I removed her it..:D

pologreen1 06-03-2019 01:29 PM

While you are at it...

All smog items, ac, and heat, radio, speakers, frisbee, spare tire, cruise control, stock exhaust, etc. The car will feel a lot better. j/k.

The car is a detuned 350, that is done with emissions, excessively restrictive intake, exhaust, heads, small cam, ECU,

A good running / breathing "hypo" 350 on pump gas is capable of 425ish chp. Basically you heard right. It is choked.

LT1 intake
Heads
Cam (if auto need stall / gears)
Headers/ exhaust
1.6rr's
24+lb injectors
Tune

So that recipe will get you some where around 425ish chp. Pricey though!!!

aklim 06-03-2019 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Workman (Post 1599515184)
As mentioned, there's little if any meaningful performance increase as result of removing the A.I.R. pump. However, removing the pump can negatively affect the efficiency of the cats - especially on start up, not to mention having to pass the smog station inspection of factory emissions equipment!

But if he has no emissions to pass, it should be fine. More room to work around in the engine bay is a good thing. Does smog testing do a cold start up test?

Tom400CFI 06-03-2019 03:51 PM

No. Can't test anything until it goes into closed loop.

LWesthaver 06-03-2019 06:52 PM

I removed my A.I.R. pump and I noticed that the engine compartment was a lot quieter when the engine is running. I never realized that the pump made so much noise.

But the main advantage is having more access to the front of the engine. The water pump in particular. There's a lot less clutter on the front of the engine now. And you loose about 15 pounds of hardware and plumbing.

-Wes

aklim 06-03-2019 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by LWesthaver (Post 1599518030)
I removed my A.I.R. pump and I noticed that the engine compartment was a lot quieter when the engine is running. I never realized that the pump made so much noise.

But the main advantage is having more access to the front of the engine. The water pump in particular. There's a lot less clutter on the front of the engine now. And you loose about 15 pounds of hardware and plumbing.

-Wes

Was your pump broken or not working well? Mine was and it did not make it much difference, noise wise.

85WHITEZ51 06-04-2019 04:55 PM

The only other benefit I'm aware of that hasn't been mentioned yet is it gets it away from from your alternator a bit. I've recently done this mod for this reason as I'm getting tired of fried alternators, but since I just recently did this I can't personally confirm it helps but it did move it away from my headers.

Topcat7 06-04-2019 05:18 PM

Thanks, Guys. From what you have said, I have decided to leave the A.I.R. pump where it is, (at least until I decide to install headers).

As far as the 'restrictor' goes, if there is not one to remove, then I cannot remove it.

Actually the car performs better than any car in my (small) collection as it is, so I think that I will just be happy driving her as she is.

Thanks, again.

aklim 06-04-2019 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by 85WHITEZ51 (Post 1599523422)
The only other benefit I'm aware of that hasn't been mentioned yet is it gets it away from from your alternator a bit. I've recently done this mod for this reason as I'm getting tired of fried alternators, but since I just recently did this I can't personally confirm it helps but it did move it away from my headers.

What has the AIR pump got to do with the alternator? It doesn't even get that hot.

aklim 06-04-2019 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Topcat7 (Post 1599523523)
Thanks, Guys. From what you have said, I have decided to leave the A.I.R. pump where it is, (at least until I decide to install headers).

As far as the 'restrictor' goes, if there is not one to remove, then I cannot remove it.

Actually the car performs better than any car in my (small) collection as it is, so I think that I will just be happy driving her as she is.

Thanks, again.

At which point, you can run a pulley to delete it.

Of course there is. Intake. Tune and headers with intake would be great

LWesthaver 06-04-2019 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by aklim (Post 1599518039)
Was your pump broken or not working well? Mine was and it did not make it much difference, noise wise.

My smog pump was making (what I believe was) bearing noise. I never noticed the noise until it was gone.

aklim 06-04-2019 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by LWesthaver (Post 1599525578)
My smog pump was making (what I believe was) bearing noise. I never noticed the noise until it was gone.

Ah. Like I was saying, but in a clumsy manner, my pump was ok and I didn't notice much sound change after I took it out. It did spin freely.