CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Protect chrome rims (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4281254-protect-chrome-rims.html)

~Stingray 06-03-2019 02:11 PM

Protect chrome rims

Hey Guys,

I have heard from multiple posts and threads that the brake dust from the original pads can cause damage to the chrome finish.
What is a good way to protect those aside from trying to clean them every time I drive it? I drive as much as I can, almost daily, and cleaning the wheels every time I get out of the car is not feasible.

Thanks.

f5joe 06-03-2019 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ~Stingray (Post 1599516394)
Hey Guys,

I have heard from multiple posts and threads that the brake dust from the original pads can cause damage to the chrome finish.
What is a good way to protect those aside from trying to clean them every time I drive it? I drive as much as I can, almost daily, and cleaning the wheels every time I get out of the car is not feasible.

Thanks.

New owner wondering the same. Thanks for posting the question.

Rebel Yell 06-03-2019 02:26 PM

Not trying to be flippant here my friend, but a good set of carbon ceramic pads is you best defense against brake dust damage to your rims. That's what I did, and I'm quite happy.
with the results.

Zymurgy 06-03-2019 02:42 PM

Put a ceramic coating on them. For example, Adams offers a kit specifically for this: Adam's Ceramic Wheel Coating Kit.

Maxpowers 06-03-2019 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell (Post 1599516484)
Not trying to be flippant here my friend, but a good set of carbon ceramic pads is you best defense against brake dust damage to your rims. That's what I did, and I'm quite happy.
with the results.

+1 Unless you need the full capabilities of the Brembo pads, this is the way to go. Plus the pads are easy to switch if you do want to do the odd track event.

~Stingray 06-03-2019 03:26 PM

with the results.

Aren't those the $300 pads? Very expensive. I have been a big fan of those lifetime pads from the auto stores. I put them on my mustang and my 1980 corvette for years now. Can't complain and never had an issue breaking. I haven't paid for new pads since 2011. I walk in with the old ones and walk out with new.

If I tracked the car it would be different. And I have not searched for 2014 vette yet. Plenty of pad left on the originals...hense the thread.

Vette Ski 06-03-2019 03:32 PM

with the results.

ME 200, at least , Like Jim said, new pads is the way to go !!
Rich

Gearhead Jim 06-03-2019 03:56 PM

We have had 4 modern Z51 Corvettes with painted, polished/clear coated, and chrome. Our 2017 Z51 has 10k miles on the chromies as a DD and road tripper, and another 18k on the painted. Like all of our vettes, the wheels are sometimes black with brake dust for weeks. None of them have ever had any corrosion or other chemical type damage, just the usual chips and scratches.

I’m not proud of dirty wheels, and cleaning them can be a PITA, but the brake dust has caused no damage.

EDIT: We have always used stock GM Z51 pads and rotors.

TXSteveF 06-03-2019 04:30 PM

My vote is new pads, no question about it. I'm no mechanic but with the step by step direction I was given I was shocked at how easy it is to switch them out. I was so tired of cleaning my chrome wheels every 100 miles or less. When I got another set of wheels (black) for different tires I had them ceramic coated before I ever had the tires mounted and was told that was not a good protection for the pitting by the pad dust. They wouldn't warrant any pitting I was told. New pads all the way, who cares how much life you have left on the OEM's. The time not spent cleaning them is worth the money. I have my OEM's sitting in a box gathering another type of dust.

I will refrain from the brand of pads or if changing them is needed discussion. I, like everyone else, have my own opinions. Kinda like...what's the best color? No need to go there.

dvilin 06-03-2019 05:45 PM

I put a good coat of wax on them and after that just hit them with one of the many spray and wipe chrome wheel products.

TXSteveF 06-03-2019 05:49 PM

I keep mine waxed as well. I even waxed over the ceramic coating. A good wax works wonders. Slicker than a baby's be-hind.

Rebel Yell 06-03-2019 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by ~Stingray (Post 1599516882)
Aren't those the $300 pads? Very expensive. I have been a big fan of those lifetime pads from the auto stores. I put them on my mustang and my 1980 corvette for years now. Can't complain and never had an issue breaking. I haven't paid for new pads since 2011. I walk in with the old ones and walk out with new.

If I tracked the car it would be different. And I have not searched for 2014 vette yet. Plenty of pad left on the originals...hense the thread.

You can get a set of Power Stops on Rock Auto for 100 bucks, and light change. I been impressed by those pads. And yes, you can get a set of Carbotechs for right at 400. They're great pads also. It's all in what you want too, or can spend. If your OEM pads still have good life left you can sell them on the forum "Marketplace", and recoup some of your monies. There are a lot of good track rats out there that would love to have them for track day.That's what I did, and it worked out great.

The pads are a simple change. It's like putting a slice of bread in a toaster. You remove the clips, pull the old pads out, make sure the pistons are pushed back, slide the new ones in, and you're good to go. There are a couple good "how to" videos on YouTube that explain the process if you are interested. That's how I rolled.

Plus, I needed a new floor jack, and that's how I sold the purchase to my dear bride. :hide: :D

C5_Tom 06-03-2019 07:57 PM

I have had three corvettes in the last 20 years, all with chrome wheels. I just clean the wheels when I wash the car. Never had a single corrosion problem with any of them.

chevyvette1 06-04-2019 01:27 AM

Unless you are tracking the car.....I’m with the majority here. Get rid of those dirty and dusty pads and get ceramic pads. They are so easy to install and not that expensive. I went with Power Stop Z26 Extreme on my 18 Z06 front and back. They Have wear sensors, came with new clips, and even some brake grease... paid $71 for the front and $60 for the rears. Friend bought a set from another manufacturer and paid around $400... no wear sensors, no new clips and no brake grease. Watch a uTube video on how to change pads.

I would also also put a coat of ceramic coating not only on the wheels, but the whole car. I have become a big fan of ceramic coatings. All of my cars, and even my Goldwing has ceramic coating applied. Check out uTube videos on how to that as well.

Cheers

~Stingray 06-06-2019 12:13 PM

Picked up a set of extremes from a forum member...75 for front and back and all parts and grease. We will see how it goes.

Vette Ski 06-06-2019 12:26 PM

O.K, lets just say ceramic coating has been on for the 5 year period ( lets just say this is the 5 year type ) What has to be done to to remove or re-up this process. Is there something that has to be done to remove what is left of the old layer to install the new coating ??? I surmise the same process as was done for the first coating?
Thanks,
Rich

Vetteman Jack 06-06-2019 04:16 PM

I just wipe down the wheels after each drive. Takes about 5-10 minutes total using a Swiffer Duster, a microfiber towel and an Absorber. Plus I keep a good coat of wax on the wheels.

Can Vette 06-06-2019 05:47 PM

I have the chrome wheels on my 15 Z51. Now 4 years old, and they are in great shape.
I apply Mother's Chrome Polish every 2 months or so.
Laugh if you want, but the other thing I do is.... once I have applied Mothers or Mequiar's Instant Detailer to the car itself, I then use that same microfibre cloth to wipe down the wheels.
By this time,the cloth has lots of detailer left on it. Then I take a dry cloth and give the wheels a quick once over, which restores the shine.
I'm inclined to think that the instant detailer is adding to the Chrome Polish, the same way that it adds to the wax on the car.

thrilled 06-10-2019 06:08 PM

I have chrome wheels.I don’t have any problems.I also don’t use the brakes.Downshifting works for me.With the 4.10 rear
it’s even better.

rcharrison1 06-10-2019 11:05 PM

I have tried many different precautions with limited success. I have ceramic coated and waxed wheels numerous times on a couple of my Vettes. I have had my best success using Armor All Brake Dust repellant. Chrome wheels are much more resistant to brake dust build up. Once it does begin to build up, they are easily cleaned. My '19 is not a daily driver, but the Armor All is effective for several months. I buy mine on Amazon - about $9/can. I have shared with several members of my Corvette club and those who have used it were very satisfied with the results.