CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   AirBag Module programing-Need Experts (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/4282445-airbag-module-programing-need-experts.html)

Ahnenerbe 06-06-2019 05:00 PM

AirBag Module programing-Need Experts

Hey guys, have a question about the C5 airbag modules. I bought a 01 coupe that had the airbag on pass side deployed. I replaced it, and on the advice of a forum member here I bought a used module (did not do my homework) threw THE ORIGINAL AWAY and installed the used one. The light comes on and codes say it is not sync'd with the BCM. Others had this issue too but I am a bit confused on the real fix to this.

From pouring over the net it appears my only recourse is to buy a brand new module and then go to a dealership to see if they can program everything together. That appears to be the only option. Am I correct in this assumption or is there a simpler way I missed?

I am only wanting some expert help in finding a true solution to this dilemma, can it be done on my own or will I need the dealership or even a body shop to do it. Thanks for your help.

Ahnenerbe 06-12-2019 01:28 PM

After doing more research on the web, it appears the only way to fix this is to have dealership install new module and program it to vin. Pretty pricey.

C5 Diag 06-12-2019 01:44 PM

If there are 2 parts in my car that I know MUST work correctly are my airbags...a little skeptical about a "used" one....you don't have to go to a dealership and 99% of body shops don't know how to program it anyway...call them and ask what mobile "diagnostic and programming" guy they use in their shop !!....where are you located ?????

Ahnenerbe 06-12-2019 02:15 PM

I am in the Columbus Ohio area.

gimp 06-12-2019 03:20 PM

This may not be the advice you were looking for, but airbags are one of the few things that I will absolutely take to a dealer. Let them handle the complexity, the safety, and frankly, the liability. I'm cool with internal combustion, but I don't much like dealing with very aggressive external combustion near my face. :)

(yeah, airbags don't really work by combustion, but I just wanted to make the joke.)

feeder82 06-12-2019 03:20 PM

anyone with a Tech2 scanner can program that for you.

oelarse 06-12-2019 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by feeder82 (Post 1599570895)
anyone with a Tech2 scanner can program that for you.

can you give details on How to do it with the Tech2?

feeder82 06-13-2019 08:06 AM

Just Google it, there are YouTube videos on the procedure

oelarse 06-13-2019 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by feeder82 (Post 1599574548)
Just Google it, there are YouTube videos on the procedure

I have a Tech 2 and know how to change RPO's but I have not seen any procedures on how to do when you replace a airbag module .
Do one change data in the SDM or the BCM ?

If you add a link to this info or more detailed info I would appreciate it very much

C5 Diag 06-13-2019 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by oelarse (Post 1599574580)
I have a Tech 2 and know how to change RPO's but I have not seen any procedures on how to do when you replace a airbag module .
Do one change data in the SDM or the BCM ?

If you add a link to this info or more detailed info I would appreciate it very much

Hi O !!
To program some of these modules you have to buy a subscription at the AC Delco website...a 3 day I think is still the shortest one you can buy...this video may help !!...also a battery “maintainer” is essential !!

dmaxx3500 06-13-2019 08:26 AM

you need to go into ''sdm'' and marry it to your car

any tech2 can do this

oelarse 06-13-2019 08:37 AM

Ok , thanks

Here is a photo of the SDM menu , where do we go from here to marry the the "new / used " SDM to our car like Ahnenerbe has to do ?

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...33570a69c3.jpg

Ahnenerbe 06-13-2019 12:27 PM

Are you sure a tech 2 can program a used module? From what I have read online a tech 2 will not do this. If it can I will be buying one.