CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   A permanent cure for leaking T-tops ... maybe? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4282512-a-permanent-cure-for-leaking-t-tops-maybe.html)

GeorgeV 06-06-2019 07:59 PM

A permanent cure for leaking T-tops ... maybe?

My thought was to build a single panel out of aluminum for a sleek coupe appearance but the aftermarket beat me to the punch:

http://www.astrotops.com/68_82tops.html

Has anyone tried one of these? Thoughts and opinions? I'm ready to order one unless you tell me different.

Many thanks.

HeadsU.P. 06-06-2019 08:12 PM

I don't see how that one would provide a better seal in the front, than standard T-Tops. The two times mine leaked was in a wind driven rain and the leakage was at the windshield seal. Never had a drop enter from the center channel.

Most, but not all leaks are from aging weather stripping and the lack of "clamping force" provided by the T-Tops.

IDK. Seems like a lot of moola for a fashion panel.

caskiguy 06-06-2019 10:59 PM

Worth considering. Why not ?
:flag:

derekderek 06-06-2019 11:17 PM

Try to fit it in your car when removed...

GeorgeV 06-07-2019 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P. (Post 1599537502)
I don't see how that one would provide a better seal in the front, than standard T-Tops.

Good question to ask when I call them today!

PainfullySlow 06-07-2019 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by derekderek (Post 1599538337)
Try to fit it in your car when removed...

From their front page

ASTRO I - At only 17 lbs, this custom molded, high performance acrylic roof panel stores easily behind the seats. This makes the Astro I quick to remove and handy to replace. Call today to order.

bazza77 06-07-2019 08:56 AM

I have one , fitted nicely on my 77 .

What I liked was I could sit back and see through it. It gave me more head room . It does fit in the back , mine came with a lined storage bag . Mine didn't leak any water. Car looks good with it on.

What I don't like , I can still get sunburn on my bald head with it on. :lol: you can feel any heat radiate straight through it.

Was worth it to me as it's good IMO to change the look a little bit . ( I had 2 sets of wheels to swap as well.)

7T1vette 06-07-2019 04:29 PM

Maybe, you could remove it, turn upside-down and hook it to your luggage rack so it would act as a spoiler... :hide:

mrvette 06-07-2019 06:57 PM

I restrict my comments to the front windshield leaks over the top gasket area.....

need cover the stainless with black vinyl from under the windshield glass trim to up and under the inside trim....

I had two other convertibles....a '73 Grandville, it leaked like there was nothing there, never did fix it....

went to a '70 Lemans and it never leaked, had the w/s header wrapped in vinyl......

wrapped my '72 header in black vinyl....stopped the leak COLD......none since

REELAV8R 06-07-2019 07:01 PM

For me glass tops just let heat in from the sun. I too have a chrome dome. Don’t really want to have to wear a hat in the car and have the A/C battle more heat.
as far as leaking goes, I would replace the old seals first to see if that solved the issue. Well after adjusting what I got to see if the leak can be eliminated.
I've replaced the seals in my 77, no leaks now. Rarely sees the rain , but no leaks when it did.

GeorgeV 06-07-2019 08:26 PM

I'd keep the sun to a minimum by applying a dark color / reflective window film (very common in FL) on the inside surface.
Leaks are probably a function of wear and tear of the seals but in my case the panel, once installed and properly adjusted wouldn't ever be removed, I like coupes!

7T1vette 06-07-2019 11:48 PM

Regarding the intrusion of heat: there are films that reflect the infrared portion of sunshine. They are more expensive than darkening tints, but are effective and you can choose the level of tint you want without affecting the film's ability to reflect the heat.

ddawson 06-08-2019 01:46 AM

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...2716668&rt=rud

GeorgeV 06-08-2019 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by ddawson (Post 1599544782)

That's the one, thanks!

With the sun issue handled what do you think about the leaks in my case where the top is not removed/reinstalled after the once and done installation?

Street Rat 06-08-2019 05:53 PM

I installed tinting on my glass tops. It helped considerably. In the brutal summers I put a pair of insulated fiberglass tops on the car.

The weather stripping can be replaced on your tops. Some great videos by Wilcox and Melrose on YouTube. Then adjust the tops to fit with the new ws. It takes time and patience but you can seal those pesky leaks. I had a gap between the roof and the ws. I played with the adjustments and finally got it to seal water tight.

Craig

PainfullySlow 06-09-2019 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1599543254)
I restrict my comments to the front windshield leaks over the top gasket area.....

need cover the stainless with black vinyl from under the windshield glass trim to up and under the inside trim....

I had two other convertibles....a '73 Grandville, it leaked like there was nothing there, never did fix it....

went to a '70 Lemans and it never leaked, had the w/s header wrapped in vinyl......

wrapped my '72 header in black vinyl....stopped the leak COLD......none since

That is actually very interesting. I will look into this if I am having leaking issues once I get an actual body on the car :-p

obas 06-09-2019 10:17 AM

I heard a lot of mixed reviews about Astro tops so I drove to their shop in Florence when I was considering the purchase. The top cracked as the guy was putting it on. Needless to say I passed.

qwank 06-09-2019 11:17 PM

I've had a one Piece Astro top for the past 6 or 7 years. I like it looks wise better than the stock fiberglass tops, but not fit wise. I finally broke down and bought a used set of stock glass tops. I'll never go back to anything else.

Wrecked82 06-10-2019 06:37 PM

I have had the cling stuff on the top, I have had the tops tinted with the recommended tinting. Nothing worked in the Texas heat. So, lined the top with a 1.4" closed cell foam, glued in place with copious gel super glue. Then got some thin, black, no knap carpet and super glued that in place also. Could not be happier. A/C (134) works well in HOT Houston weather.

Wish I knew how to make an image smaller, but here is an imgur post.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...656dce2c74.jpg