CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Z06 vs. McLaren (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4283526-z06-vs-mclaren.html)

VirginiaAgent 06-09-2019 04:50 PM

Z06 vs. McLaren

I'm certainly not trying to revive the "thread which shall not be named" C7 vs. C8 / Front engine vs. mid-engine debate, but I ran across this article from a few years ago comparing the Z06 to a McLaren. It's well written and pretty entertaining. The writer's first reaction to flooring the Z06 was similar to mine.

My favorite quote from the writer about the Z06: "Driving this machine is like strapping onto a great white shark that hasn't eaten in a month."

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/b...n-650s-spider/

kenw 06-09-2019 05:28 PM

Good to read that article again, thanks.

NineVettes 06-09-2019 09:20 PM

Yep, in some people's headlong rush to embrace the next best thing (which none of us know for sure if it is) we tend to take for granted what we have now. The '15 Z06 is still in the top 10 C&D One Lap performance cars as tested at VIR. And the '19s might be a smidge quicker given they have undergone 2 MSRC programming upgrades since '15, and a host of other evolutionary upgrades through and including the 19's. Which is why a M7 '19Z has been in my possession since last Sept. It's gonna be in the family for quite a while....

SuperdadZ06 06-09-2019 10:52 PM

Well said I have 2500 miles on mine Z06/M7/ragtop, really happy

BrunoTheMellow 06-09-2019 11:05 PM

However you may think a z06 matches a 650s, purely based on speed the 650s destroys the Z06. I have witnessed this live. You need about 100 rwhp above stock to keep up.

Anyhow. That article is just purely the writer saying random shit. It's not a comparison. It's just babbling.

cvp33 06-09-2019 11:39 PM

Agreed. Really hard to beat a $75K supercar that can run with cars costing double. Move to the $135K ZR1 and nose out a $375K 720S at VIR.

WICKEDFRC 06-09-2019 11:46 PM

I don't suspect the entry level C8 will pose a threat to any McClarens. But the higher horsepower C8 variants may. Time will certainly tell.

NineVettes 06-10-2019 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow (Post 1599554218)
However you may think a z06 matches a 650s, purely based on speed the 650s destroys the Z06. I have witnessed this live. You need about 100 rwhp above stock to keep up.

Anyhow. That article is just purely the writer saying random shit. It's not a comparison. It's just babbling.

Or I need a few intelligent weight reduction mods and maybe 40-50 more rear wheel over the 589 I have now to overcome the $266k price differential?? They were not just saying random shit, they were sharing impressions of two very high performing cars - both impressive in their respective ways. One impressive at an atmospheric price level, and the fine points of it worth the price (which 1 tenth of 1 percent of the population could afford) and one impressive at its price point which us more common folk could aspire too. Or I could be one of the 10% of the population with disposable toy income to buy a ZR1 and blow it into the weeds...

mmjsport 06-10-2019 01:37 AM

I have to agree with the current Z06 having to be one of the best performance vehicles of all time. Especially with a good discount that are available on these. You can buy a loaded Z06 for well under 100k that it MSRPs at. Heck you can get a base model in the high 60s! New!! With warranty that allows you to track it! And you can keep up with almost any supercar in most tracks. But regardless of the tenths of a second people argue about (that most people will never ever get to achieve unless your a professional driver) or measure d**ks with, the experience and enjoyment a car gives you is what matters above all! Never forget that folks. If you get your enjoyment from a vehicle you own by solely telling other people what kind of lap times a pro driver was able to do in it thats great. To each their own. But for myself and most others, a sports car should put a smile on your face by the actual driving experience. Not by reading numbers on a computer or paper someone achieved in it.

Doctor Mark 06-10-2019 06:19 AM

I have both a Z06 and a Mac570S. They are very different driving experiences. It is not 1 is better or worse than the other. I no longer track a car so lap times etc. are all meaningless to me. Driving the Mac feels more like a special event but the maintainence costs are ridiculous. My view is also skewed because I like a "free and higher reving" engine compared to one focused on low revs and low rpm torque. Over the years the best of both worlds have been my Ferrari V12s but the cars are too heavy and costly with eye watering depreciation. I hope that there will be the option in the C8 for a DOHC engine that likes to "sing." That would be the best of all worlds to me and for goodness sake loose the runflats.

juanvaldez 06-10-2019 06:37 AM

A $352k car is better than an $86k car!:thumbs:

Savoy2001 06-10-2019 06:49 AM

Great article. I had forgotten I read that a while back but good to read again noo the less. The fact that we can own such a fantastic car at such an affordable price point makes me proud of Chevy and for Corvette to be America Best. I love Ferraris and maclarens and porches and lambos etc but those are out of reach for me right now. Even if I could have one of the Euro exotics I would still have aZ06 parked next to it on the garage. Just my two cents.

That said the driving enjoyment I get every time I take my Z out can't be measured. I absolutely love this car and every chance I get to drive it is a fun fun day. I'm super proud to own this car.

Mcrider 06-10-2019 07:00 AM

"It's performance limits are so extreme they can't be explored anywhere on a public road"

Testing a $351K handbuilt car against a $85K PRODUCTION built car.

I enjoyed the read, humorous all the way through. The McClaren one has a view they expect to be impressed, the Z06 actually was a surprise in it's performance to the author.

I'm with Jay Leno in that the Corvettes are the best performance and handling car for the dollar against anything else in the world.

Zjoe6 06-10-2019 08:59 AM

It’s amazing that someone would even compare a z06 to a Mac. That tells a lot right there. Apples and oranges. Next he should do an Impala and a GTR.

Savoy2001 06-10-2019 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mcrider (Post 1599554891)
"It's performance limits are so extreme they can't be explored anywhere on a public road"

Testing a $351K handbuilt car against a $85K PRODUCTION built car.

I enjoyed the read, humorous all the way through. The McClaren one has a view they expect to be impressed, the Z06 actually was a surprise in it's performance to the author.

I'm with Jay Leno in that the Corvettes are the best performance and handling car for the dollar against anything else in the world.

I'm a little confused. What did you find humorous about the article?

NA FURY 06-10-2019 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Savoy2001 (Post 1599559284)
I'm a little confused. What did you find humorous about the article?

I think in the sense that the writer seemed to thoroughly enjoy they experience and that it came across in his fun analogies and descriptions..

Savoy2001 06-10-2019 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by CalculatingInfinity (Post 1599559691)
I think in the sense that the writer seemed to thoroughly enjoy they experience and that it came across in his fun analogies and descriptions..

Ok that makes sense. Thanks.

NA FURY 06-10-2019 08:27 PM

I bought my '19 Z in August and have not yet really laid into the skinny pedal because I want to give the rear end a full 1500 miles to break in, but the writer's descriptions still seem accurate to me!

SuperdadZ06 06-10-2019 08:57 PM

you have some real fun to look forward tp

Zo62018A8 06-11-2019 11:50 AM

If I could afford a Lamborghini Svj, a Porsche gt2 rs or a Mclaren Id love to own one. However I have a paid off 2018 z06 that is my only car and daily driver that has a full warranty on it till it reaches 100k miles or 2029 so unless its totaled or stolen I dont see myself replacing it. Yes, the tires are expensive and its a gas guzzler but I only drive like 6k miles a year total so it works for me