CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Hood handle hard to open (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4283627-hood-handle-hard-to-open.html)

jmgtp 06-09-2019 09:11 PM

Hood handle hard to open

I’ve noticed that the handle to pop the hood on my 94 is taking way more effort this spring compared to the last decade that I’ve owned this car.

It always does pop, but the effort needed has me worried that I’m going to break the plastic lever or one of the cables.

I’ve also noticed that the passenger side sometimes doesn’t pop up like the drivers side, but it does always unlatch. I’m always able to open from the drivers side.

Are these symptoms indicative that this a matter of something dirty? Dried up grease? Pin or latch problem?

I’ve long had emergency cables installed but hoping to solve this issue before I ever have to use them.

The only maintenance I’ve ever done in this area was to clean out the drains which were completely clogged and holding water. That was 10 years ago. It still drains fine today.

Any advice or pics are appreciated.

JETS C3-C4 06-10-2019 12:57 AM

Try cleaning the latch mechanisms and hood pins and lubricating them with lithium grease.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

drcook 06-10-2019 10:22 AM

have you been jacking the car up on the side without popping the hood? my buddy's 1990 exhibited this exact same issue. he jacked up the car on one side with the hood closed. this allowed the front end to droop (frame flex) but since the hood was closed, it pulled the hood hinges back towards the cockpit as the latching mechanisms don't move . then when you put the car back down, the mechanisms don't want to easily let go. as the locking pins are forced against the backside of the mechanism

he had to put a 2x4 against the hood hinges and give them a whack to put them back, then the hood opened and closed just fine.

there are those on here who will say it doesn't happen, however I saw it happen twice to that particular 1990. now the hood opens and closes just fine and he now cracks the hood and doors whenever he jacks up the car (there are those on here who say you don't need to) however.....

take a look at the hinges, if they are pulled you might be able to tell by tell tale signs, ie: fresher paint, a dust line, etc.

another way you can tell if the hood has moved is put a jack under the side that gives the most problem (at the pinch weld jacking point) and just lift the car up some, then try to open the hood. if it is easier to open, then you know what has happened.

Tom400CFI 06-10-2019 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by JETS C3-C4 (Post 1599554565)
Try cleaning the latch mechanisms and hood pins and lubricating them with lithium grease.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

This. Lube the hood latches and you can pop the hood w/your pinky. No one ever does this little piece of maintenance....yet everyone should. :yesnod:

stabac 06-10-2019 12:32 PM

What's your opinion on using garage ramps?

there are those on here who will say it doesn't happen, however I saw it happen twice to that particular 1990. now the hood opens and closes just fine and he now cracks the hood and doors whenever he jacks up the car (there are those on here who say you don't need to) however.....
d.[/QUOTE]

BLUE1972 06-10-2019 12:41 PM

Use Lock Ease - graphite spray on the cable and work it into the cable. I also lube the mechanism with lock ease / graphite spray.

The white lithium grease will eventually attract dirt and make it harder to open.

Always use a quality product / protect the surrounding areas from overspray and drippage.

Lock Ease will also make the door key and other items work easier - without attracting dirt.

I do not use it on keys that have a chip. For example a steering column with chip.

drcook 06-10-2019 01:04 PM

What's your opinion on using garage ramps?
What do you mean ? I use ramps all the time.

The majority of people have no issues with jacking a car on the side. The point I was making is if it happened to one, it can happen to another, and is one possible solution.

kael 06-10-2019 02:53 PM

Do you have emergency openers for the hood? If not, get in place first.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590844620

Since this popped up suddenly, take a look at the release mounting. Did a screw come loose or disappeared?
Mine did this once.