CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   C6Z market value speculation when C8 hits (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4283742-c6z-market-value-speculation-when-c8-hits.html)

03worthy4link 06-10-2019 09:16 AM

C6Z market value speculation when C8 hits

I'm curious as to what you guys think will happen to the C6Z market when this C8 abomination is finally released. Obviously the C7 and C7Z's will take a shot as they start to trickle in. But has the C6z reached reached the floor on its depreciation, or is there more room to go with the next generation?

Personally I think it will wane a very slight bit, but more or less stay the course its on for some time to come.

Josh M 06-10-2019 09:23 AM

I think it'll stay pretty much where its at now. I think the c7z will take a big hit, but not many people are going to be jumping from a 30k c6z to a 100k+ c8z. You might see a little hit as some of the c6z folks jump into lower priced c7z's. Even that market though won't be huge as there is still a pretty big difference in 30k for the c6z and lets say hypothetically 50k on the low end in the future of the c7z.

Landru 06-10-2019 09:50 AM

JMHO: The LS7 is a performance bargain of the century, stock.
Especially attractive to those not caring for/needing a 600+ HP Corvette.

Remember ~'11 to '13 not many C6 Z06s were built to start with, even less ZR1s.
Not saying C6 Z06s are 'rare' per se, but extremely low prod #s = less for/on the market = steady value and especially compared w/ C7 anything.

GM seemed to have flooded the market w/ C7s of every stripe.
While stockholders probably loved it, high prod #s didn't do present owners any favors inasfar as resale goes.
C7 will take the biggest hit if any hits are taken, a'tall.

Even despite high production #s, C7's still a great HP bargain also.
C8 notwithstanding those wanting a HP vehicle will pay a premium dependent on miles/condition, always have.

Unreal 06-10-2019 10:39 AM

Will continue to drop, and move in the mid low 20s. Anyone thinking otherwise is living in a fantasy land.

bobandc 06-10-2019 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 1599555902)
Will continue to drop, and move in the mid low 20s. Anyone thinking otherwise is living in a fantasy land.

I agree that prices will go down but I'm not sure as to how much. The more model years you are removed from the new introduction the less the depreciation impact there will be, however I think the prices will drop over the next year or two. I also don't expect to see the depreciation immediately as there may not be a first year Z06 competitor and the C8 will likely be in very limited supply for the next 12-18 months if not longer.

RedZ4me 06-10-2019 12:13 PM

Unreal is correct, will always drop, depreciation just gets slower as the car ages (unless they are ultra-rare vehicles)

phxcobra 06-10-2019 01:25 PM

Yeah, c6 z06 will continue to depreciate like any normal production car, but i don't think many people in the market for a c6 z06 at like 35-45k will also be shopping the C8. I bet with dealer markups and fees, etc a new C8 will be over 100k out the door. But i bet dropping C7 prices will impact C6 prices as some people look to move up in model year.

Josh M 06-10-2019 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by RedZ4me (Post 1599556638)
Unreal is correct, will always drop, depreciation just gets slower as the car ages (unless they are ultra-rare vehicles)

This is kind of in line with what I meant, but just worded better haha. It will continue to depreciate at a slow pace and the release of the c8 won't really impact the c6z prices itself.

Unreal 06-10-2019 02:21 PM

I bet c8 comes in $3-5k over current c7 for similar equipped car. Give them 8-10 months and they will be $10-25k off sticker just like every vette for past 10+ years. Just don't get caught in the gotta get one right away hype and pay over.

K-Spaz 06-10-2019 03:22 PM

I can't see the C6Z dropping a whole lot more, though it'll most likely lose just due to age if nothing else. I'd say it's already had a brutal depreciation due to the bad rap the LS7 has. They really are the performance bargain of the century imho. Just going from sticker prices, it's amazing a Z is almost as cheap as a GS, having started quite a bit higher.

RapidC84B 06-10-2019 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 1599557528)
I bet c8 comes in $3-5k over current c7 for similar equipped car. Give them 8-10 months and they will be $10-25k off sticker just like every vette for past 10+ years. Just don't get caught in the gotta get one right away hype and pay over.

I agree with you that the C8 will base around $60-$62K, but I don't expect them to be discounted that quickly. The C7 didn't see discounts this large for a few years.

Pb82 Ronin 06-10-2019 03:47 PM

This whole question is all based on how well the C8 is received. Will there continue to be normal depreciation of the C6/C7? Sure. Always has been. Always will be. But, if the C8 tanks because of poor quality, reliability issues, etc...that could cause an influx of those that traded "up" to a C8, to miss the cars they traded and begin the search to get back into one. Granted this wont cause any dramatic spike in C6/C7 values or demand, but it could hold the values steady for a least a few years until the bugs are sorted out with the C8. First model years (of all makes and models) historically have issues, and I don't see the C8 being any different, especially since it's Chevy's first dance in the mid-engine market. In the end...who the hell really knows? It's anybody's guess. Personally, I rather relax and see what happens because my C6 will still be parked in the garage.

Creatre 06-10-2019 09:53 PM

I think the market for the c6z is pretty much stabilized for the early year cars and the later year cars will slide slower than previously. At most you’ll see a significantly lower rate of depreciation than previously. I just bought one for that precise reason, to enjoy for a bit and hopefully sell for roughly I bought it for.

Stavesacre21 06-11-2019 02:57 AM

Certainly don't think the C6Z has hit the floor on depreciation yet, but it certainly won't be near as bad as all the C7s. The C6ZR will probably hurt a little more than the Z's tho, as they still fetch a good bit more.

One of the biggest benefits of being a few generations behind is that depreciation hits for newer gens is that they don't hurt near as much...if at all.

I agree with what lots of the others say tho...if the C8 isn't well received, our cars immediately stabilize. If it's a huge hit and people are cutting off their limbs to pay for it, it could be more of a brace-for-impact kinda moment.

K-Spaz 06-11-2019 08:55 AM

Is there really this much speculation about C8 entry pricing? I simply can't see it being a ridiculously high entry price. I expect nothing more than a cost of living increase on the C7. I think the "redesign" element is way overplayed. They made the Fiero in the past, it's not like moving the engine around is some insurmountable task that drives the R&D budget off the charts. It's just a car, they build em every day.

03BlkZ 06-11-2019 09:11 AM

It's the last 427 so hopefully that helps our market.

reasonable suspicion 06-11-2019 09:22 AM

Why care. Just have fun with what you have.

jammeejamm 06-11-2019 09:44 AM

word.

moose.b3 06-11-2019 12:48 PM

When the "touring" model Corvette comes back, aka front engine, it might make a dent in the resale value of the C6Z. People like their luggage space. Lol, flame suit ON!

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7d/4c/5c/7...5bc97c41f4.jpg

sprayer 06-11-2019 04:34 PM

C6 last of great corvettes with the big NA engine. Timeless design will all be a big bonus in our cars holding value in the future. If the C8 is a flop I think C6 will go up in value over time. When you think about it not many C6Z were made. The number is around 30k units for the entire run. How many are gone for good now also.

What was the number of C7Z produced, I am thinking it is higher than 30,000 units?